A few Scratch built rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my65pan

Reaction score
Hi, I just found this site and thought I would post a few pics of the scratch built rockets I've been working on.
The aluminum one was fabricated before I found out that metal was frowned upon in model rockets over on Ye old Rocket Forum. The other rockets were made from shipping tube, or cast off tool shipping sleeves. The nose cones, and reducers were turned from Delryn or Nylon. I have been using heavy cardstock for fins, and to punch centering rings from, but just ordered some Balsa from Semroc for fins. The one with the three section body is what I'm working on now. I'm going to browse around the site and see what I can learn.

Mark.

000_0157.jpg

000_0159.jpg

000_0161.jpg

Even though you can't fly it at any events, the al. rocket is nice looking.

I doubt if I'll be flying at any events, but my son won't let me fly the aluminum one anyways, he's afraid we'll lose it. I'm almost done building another slightly modified version for myself to try out in the desert, far away from everything. I gotta know how they fly!

Mark.

Those are very nice and the aluminum one is really cool looking. You are obviously a machinist. Very nice work on the turned pieces. I turn my own cones and and have rolled all my tubes to this point.

I see you've got your priorities straight. The Grizzly catalog is close at hand! I'm only 3.5 hours away from my nearest store and I've been there more than once with a trailer.

Nice Al rocket. Make sure you post pics of the flight.

-Ben

Here's a shot of the other aluminum one. The range box and launch contoller in the photo were given to me by a co-worker today, along with 5 built rockets, an unbuilt Estes Corkscrew kit, and a handful of assorted engines.

Mark.
000_0166.jpg

I've launched the second aluminum rocket I built several times now and it flies like a dream. I have a smaller "A" engine version almost finished and a "D" version in the works. I'm a much better craftsman with metal and plastic than I am with wood/cardboard etc.

Back