A Break Down Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldlizard

Reaction score
Are there any threads about building rockets that you can break down for travel and storage? :confused2: I am looking for the technique to do so. I have seen them out there, I just can't find them now.
Thanks

Last edited:
I believe the Estes mean machine has a twist lock coupler in the middle of it for travel disassembly.

Well that is close to what I am building. My grandson and I are building his Sunward CFX- Six Footer. And that is what I am looking to break down for travel.

How big and how complex are you looking for? https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?37382-Sprite-6-quot-and-a-baby-O There's not much glue in there. It all bolts together, and disassembles completely to a pile of parts if one is so inclined - tubes, rings, spars, allthread, fin brackets, fins, lugs, boards, recovery stuff, and a big pile of bolts. The nosecone however stays pretty much intact, excepting the bottom bulkhead and its electronics sled. I didn't see a real point in making it disassemblable as anything that really damages it likely destroys it. I transport this rocket with the fins removed and the upper section not attached, mainly due to size. It is easier that way. Later on this summer I plan to push it probably to around mach 1.7 in NY. It is pretty stout.

Gerald

How big and how complex are you looking for? https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?37382-Sprite-6-quot-and-a-baby-O There's not much glue in there. It all bolts together, and disassembles completely to a pile of parts if one is so inclined - tubes, rings, spars, allthread, fin brackets, fins, lugs, boards, recovery stuff, and a big pile of bolts. The nosecone however stays pretty much intact, excepting the bottom bulkhead and its electronics sled. I didn't see a real point in making it disassemblable as anything that really damages it likely destroys it. I transport this rocket with the fins removed and the upper section not attached, mainly due to size. It is easier that way. Later on this summer I plan to push it probably to around mach 1.7 in NY. It is pretty stout.

Gerald

It is a six and a half foot rocket, I just want to break it in half, to fit behind the back seat of my SUV, then store it that way at home, so I am looking for simple.

Normal dual deploy arrangement is going to do that. The majority of high power rockets are built that way. So I guess I'm missing something???

Gerald

Normal dual deploy arrangement is going to do that. The majority of high power rockets are built that way. So I guess I'm missing something???

Gerald

It uses D powered BP motors, that is not high power.:blush:

where do you want the chute to be deployed from? if you wish the chute to deploy from the forward end, turn a coupler into a baffle and glue the coupler into one section(use nylon screws to secure the othe section). if you don't mind the chute deploying from the aft section, use a copler to turn the upper section into a 'payload bay'(bulkhead + coupler).
rex

Put a coupler in the middle, and hold it together for flight with plastic rivets.

-Kevin

where do you want the chute to be deployed from? if you wish the chute to deploy from the forward end, turn a coupler into a baffle and glue the coupler into one section(use nylon screws to secure the othe section). if you don't mind the chute deploying from the aft section, use a copler to turn the upper section into a 'payload bay'(bulkhead + coupler).
rex

I think I will try the middle deploy. Put the baffel just under the coupler in the middle, then let it seperate in middle for parachute.
Thanks
Happy Flying and Good Luck

Back