72 hours at ROCstock

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I finished packing my truck and trailer about 10 am on Thursday and discovered that I had lost the little adapter for the wiring on the trailer. So I drove into Phoenix (about 10 miles) to Camping world without brake lights to replace it. That is how my adventure began. While I was there I picked up a few extra big tent stakes. Talk about a premonition....

Headed West on I-10 with average traffic until I got to Quartsite and stopped for gas. AZ gas is about $3.40, but when you cross over into CA. it jumps to over $4.00. My truck holds 76 gallons, so I can top off in AZ and make it back across the border without buying gas in CA. Probably a good thing since it only gets 10 mpg.

Back on the I-10 to Palm Springs and I'm getting nervous. My navigator had to stay home and make money, so I'm thinking I missed the 62 highway North to Yucca valley. Figured out it was 3 miles ahead. Back on the road and Northbound up the hill the truck doesn't notice the trailer, and I'm ignoring the 55 mph speed limit for auto's towing just like most folks do in CA. Secondary roads to Lucerne Valley then North to the dry lake. I'm talking to Sharon and she is tracking me on her Iphone but I still manage to drive by the sign for ROC. Pretty good group of campers out on the playa, but I'm looking for Jack's yellow semi, and he's not there yet. So I ask around and find where he parks and find a group just West. I recognize Jeff G. from his pic's on the forum and park just past his group. I have a couple of buddies that want to camp with me, so I leave room. It was Blazingly Hot at 3 pm when I started to set up my camp, and the wind was picking up, so I did a basic setup. Wind was whipping everything around, but I had the West side tarp tied to the trailer, hoping it would hold. Once I had that done, I took my chair and water over and introduced myself to Jeff and a bunch of ROC board members. I'm not good with names, so I'm not gonna try to recall them. They had a thermometer that was reading about 108* and the wind made it into a blast furnace.

When I talked to Sharon later, she asked me if I was regretting coming and I said yes, but if I could launch a few rockets Friday, that would change. Eventually it cooled down slightly, but the wind was still blowing when I went to bed at 10:30. I have a queen size mattress elevated over the wheel wells in the back of "Grosser" my 3/4 ton GMC Sierra 4x4. People who camp and wheel with me regularly call it "Comfort's Condo". Unfortunately, it doesn't have A/C. Just a small 12v fan, which I DIDN'T need.

After a fitful night of sleep, I got up early and set up the kitchen sink and stove so I could make coffee. Two breakfast burrito's later, I'm ready to start flying rockets. Jack had shown up late the night before, and I went over to help him set up, which is my regular routine when he attends the SSS launches in AZ. Was he ever surprised to see me! This was my first out of state launch, and I was glad to see a familiar face. But he was swamped with customers and hadn't had a chance to get his trailer unpacked, so I jumped in and yelled "Make a hole!" in my Marine COMMAND VOICE. Everybody moved out of my way so I could get all the boxes out, and some of them helped too. Once we got everything set up and the crowd thinned out, I went and got my list. First chance I had to buy the bigger motors since I got my L-2, so Jack was really smiling by the time I had filled my list. Had to get the CSI tracking receiver too, planned a big 10k flight with the bunny for this launch. Jack only supports two of our SSS launches a year, so I needed my own when he wasn't there.

I pretty much blew my entire budget with that first pass through the trailer, then went off to spend more money registering. Another $70 for three days registration and a long sleeve t-shirt and I'm ready to prep my first rocket. Skippy ( Gerald Meux Jr.) showed up then, and I helped him set up camp, attaching my west side tarp to his pop up tent. We were distracted by the fliers meeting, which seemed to go on and on, with lots of warnings to drink water and don't go out alone. I had filled my camelback up with ice and water and took a drink every time someone announced it on the PA or I remembered. Drank over two gallons that first day and only pee'd twice. Now that the fliers meeting is over it's time to fly rockets, NOT. Kenny and Dave show up and I'm helping them set up, or at least directing them to the space I had saved between me and Jeff's camp. Can I launch a rocket now? YES!
First up is Reduke Nukem on an H123. Good flight and short recovery, the wind was still pretty calm. Eyeball guess put it about 3k ft. This rocket is my workhorse, I fly it a lot because it's so easy to prep. No altimeter, so I keep the flights below 4k ft. Motor deploy with the delay set to whatever Thrustcurve suggests.
Next up was Duke Nukem, a dual deploy version of Reduke, and my first HPR rocket that I got my L-1 with. I had wanted to fly the AT I59 for a long time, and it had finally arrived. Stable launch but not very fast, so I was able to track it with binoculars for quite a while. Suddenly there was an orange fireball and smoking parts flying away, and I lost sight of it. Never saw it again and the event occurred at about 5k ft. so I had no idea where to start looking for parts. It was already getting
Blazingly Hot, so I decided to wait until it cooled down and look for it later.
Called Sharon and gave her the bad news, lost a stratologger and a 38/480 Dr. Rockets casing along with my L-1 rocket.

:sad:
I
decided to fly something smaller for the next flight, an Estes Executioner with a 29mm MMT. Flies great on a G64 drilled down to 6 sec. Got about 1500 ft. and the wind took it for a ride. Surprising how easy it is to see stuff on the lake bed. As I was walking West toward my rocket, I noticed someone I had met earlier, Bob Brown camped at that end. Bob borrowed my CTI 4 grain casing to fly one of the loads I had bought earlier, a K160 long burn. I stopped to talk to him and met two of his sons. Stanley offered to retrieve my rocket, and jumped on his quad. Saved me a walk, and since it was already Blazingly Hot, I appreciated it.
I thought 108* was bad yesterday, but it got hotter on Friday. Talking to Bob, he offered to help me look for Duke when I cooled down and that put him on my buddy list for sure. With the wind up and the temps..... well you know..... I went back and secured the camp for the day. Got in my truck and started it up to cool down for a while. Figured out that a 38mm CTI 6xl casing fits nicely between the seat and the gas pedal, and if you adjust it just right you can get the motor to run at 1000 rpm, nice and cool for it and me at the same time.
Around 6:30 pm I put fresh ice in my camelback and turned on my Iphone gps and started out to find what was left of Duke. Stopped at Bob's trailer to tell him which way I was headed, and started walking. Bob said he would be out shortly with the quad. Walked about a mile in a generally NW direction, stopping occasionally to scope the area with my binoculars. Found some small rocket parts, none of which came from my rocket. Bob drove by on the quad, never saw me. I kept walking and the next time I stopped, I noticed he had too. Looking through the binoc's, I saw him pick up a green and orange rocket and my heart leaped! He found it! Shortly my cell phone rang and it was Bob describing Duke, complete with everything intact. Stratologger beeping out 4900 ft. When I told him to bring it back to me, he asked where I was. Somewhat confused that he had driven right by me, we met on the road a short time later. Duke had been drug quite a ways, sanded two fins down and destroyed the paint, but it was sure good to see him again. Had to call Sharon to give her the good news. After a thorough inspection, I discovered that the motor nozzle had disintegrated, creating the fireball and shrapnel I had seen earlier. Downloading the data from the altimeter showed a blip in the velocity line right about where burn out should have occurred. I walked back to camp and checked my GPS, I had walked over two miles and only gotten half way to where Duke landed. Maybe I will bring my Jeep with me next time I visit ROC.
Stopped in and cooled down at Bob's trailer, he had promised me a beer in return for the use of my 4 grain casing. He was planning on flying the K160 Saturday am, and I would use the same load on Sunday am. We talked rockets for an hour or two while I got comfortable on the couch with Kojak, their 80 lb. pit bull...... It was definitely his couch, but he was pretty laid back about sharing it as long as I scratched his ears.
It took me quite a while to get to sleep that night, temps stayed over 100* til pretty late.
I'm gonna take a break now and continue this blog later. Stay tuned. Lots more on this adventure to come.

Last edited:
Saturday started out nice, no wind and my camp was pretty well settled in by now. Coffee had been set up the night before and the camp stove was ready for the breakfast burrito's. For today it was fiberglass rockets, the Darkstar Jr. and the Bunny. I started prepping Jr. early, and really didn't get my checklist out. When I did, I checked off some stuff that I had done earlier without looking at them. Then when launching commenced, I left the checklist at camp. The big crowd that was expected for Saturday had not shown up yet, so I got right through RSO and was assigned a pad.
Just a note about the ROC crew, everyone was friendly and courteous, and the whole process of launching rockets worked smoothly, even when there was a crowd. I had never experienced an environment like this before, our club brings their own gear and all the LSO does is announce the flight from your launch card. You push your own button and then watch your rocket. I liked having someone launch for me, it allowed me to concentrate on the flight. Yeah, I came across a couple of dirty rods/rails, but nothing that prevented a safe launch. All the gear was in pretty good shape. Never had to wait very long to get out on the range and the whole process worked quite well.
When I set Jr. on the pad, the guy next to me needed a hand tipping the rail over, he didn't know about the pin that held it up so I pulled the pin and helped him slide his rocket on. Then the guy on the other side had an issue, so I helped him too. We all walked back to the LSO table talking about rockets and stuff until they announced our flights. It wasn't until Jr. had made a good launch on the AT I211 and was coming back down drogueless that I realized I had forgotten to turn on my altimeter.
:facepalm: Luckily, the motor charge separated the fincan from the avbay and he landed on a very soft part of the lake bed. No damage and just a little dirty from the flight.
Unfazed by my mistake, I went right back at it before the wind started picking up. Prepping the Bunny was done with the checklist in hand and everything was done in the proper order. I even took the list with me to set up the rocket on the pad. No chance I was gonna make that mistake again. When I got past the RSO, I requested an 8 ft. rail that I had seen on pad 47 earlier, and the pad manager had no problem with that, even though it was starting to get busy. Setup was easier on the bigger pad, you could tip the rail over and it stayed horizontal while you slid your rocket on. And when you install the igniter it was higher up and easier to access. This was to be the Bunny's first real long burn motor, a CTI I100 Red Lightning with 6.2 seconds of burn time. Off an 8 ft. rod, it was supposed to exit at 55 fps, so a relatively slow launch. The wind had yet to pick up, so it came off straight and flew to an altitude of 2762 ft. Shortest recovery, landing about 50 ft. from the pad. Two dual deploy rockets flown before lunch and I was happy. By the time I had eaten lunch the wind was up again and as you could guess, it was
Blazingly Hot. So I secured the camp and started up my truck to cool down. Checked on the forum with my laptop and filled in info on my previous flights.
Later I stopped by the ice cream truck and got a fudgesickle, while walking back I met Gary with AT and scored a single use H135. Thought I would fly it when the wind settled down later but it was dark before that happened and night launches were on. I had a little Estes snitch saucer with some led's rigged up on it, so I flew that with a crowd of kids flying everything they could hang a light on. Bryce was the LSO that evening, and everyone had a great time. Several impressive HPR night launches, Skippy flew his night rocket on a sparky motor of some type, and it was spectacular. Another rocket that I have no details on deployed a bunch of glow sticks at apogee, and the kids went wild!
I was pretty much toast by then, so I crawled off to get some sleep. It seemed cooler Saturday night, and I finally slept well all night long.

Thanks, Wayco! I was supposed to be there and just couldn't wedge it in the schedule. I'm living vicariously here and missed a lot of TRF'rs out there flying and a buddy from our old pyro days (JFlagg). I hope you can make Plaster Blaster this year-that would be so cool! I'll be the Raffle Director so you can't mistake my big mouth on the P.A. I AM reserving way in advance for the next ROCstock or Roctober coming up in the fall. Hopefully some day we'll meet under calm open skies! Nice report, sir!

I know all about scheduling issues, trying to fit Plaster Blaster into the same time period for our GHS launch and the ROCstock event Nov. 9-10th which is the same weekend as our SSS November launch.... Three big launches in three weeks! Sharon has already decided that we will forgo our SSS launch so we can attend ROCstock, She doesn't want to let me go over there again without her. We are going to try to fit in Plaster Blaster this year too, but it all depends on what happens at our GHS launch. After ROCstock, we have a Jeeping event in Parker, AZ, so we will drive from a launch to Parker's "Desert Splash" and wheel with some buddies there. That means the Jeep will be coming to Lucerne dry lake bed, which should be a blast! So this is a "HEADS UP" call to all my new friends with ROC and also Skippy, who needs some off-road instruction with something other than a minivan.

As I stated in the other thread, Sunday was an epic day. My ultimate goal for this trip was to fly the Bunny on a BIG long burn motor. The K160 with 9.6 seconds of burn time fit the bill, and I started out early prepping my rocket. Early meaning well before Kenny or Cave duck arrived. Sorry guys, but I really needed calm conditions for my overstable rocket with a long burn motor to fly straight. With my checklist in hand and Skippy following closely, out we went to pad 47. Longer rail was a must this time, Thrustcurve predicted only 52 fps off an 8 ft. rail. Couple of things I should have had for this flight would have been a belt on my pants so I could strap the holster for the tracker receiver, and my camelback, which I had left in camp. But we were ready to go at 7:30 am for the Bunny's biggest flight. Good ignition and off it went, with a slight tilt to the NW as it climbed out of sight. Not even my binoculars could keep track of that rocket. Since the tracker was attached to the drogueless shock cord, we got an increase in signal strength when the rocket separated at apogee. That's all we knew as we drove out on the playa in Skippy's minivan. 1.6 miles out we came to a ditch that the minivan couldn't cross, so we walked into the bushes at the edge of the lakebed still looking. Finally found it, beeping so many beeps that I couldn't figure out the altitude without some help. Here is where I wished for my holster and camelback. It was hard to carry my water bottle, tracker and rocket all at the same time. Fortunately, we didn't come across any rattlesnakes!

When we got back, I had to go find Jack and give him a big hug! Without his advise and help that flight would have been impossible. I had no idea that the CTI long burn loads needed a special igniter, since they don't have the little BP pellet in the top grain. He also convinced me to use the CSI tracker system, which is the only way I could have found my rocket out in the bushes. Not to mention that most of the parts for my scratch built rocket were purchased from him at last years GHS. Probably one of the reasons he's so happy to see me at the launches.....

After I had put away my toys, I started breaking down my campsite, which takes a while when I'm doing it myself. I think I finished up around noon, but couldn't just drive off with one rocket still loaded. So I made out one last flight card for "Tommy Two", an Estes "D" region Tomahawk with a 24/60 F-35 AT reload in it. I knew it was time to go home when this rocket almost landed in the trailer attached to my truck. Farewells to all that were left, I pulled out around 12:30 before it got Blazingly Hot.

Good thing I didn't see any CHP on the way home, it took 4 hours and 15 minutes to get to Goodyear, considerably shorter driving time going back, partially because I knew where I was going, and partially because I got in a group of vehicles heading East on I-10 that had no regard for speed limits...
Sure was nice to get home to my air conditioned house, loving wife and shower with all my rockets intact. I left most of the unpacking for Monday am when it would be considerably cooler, but we had to get the ice chest's in and unpack all the stuff Skippy loaded me up with before I left. Thanks Skippy! We will be eating cold cuts and ribs for a couple of weeks it seems.
Can't finish this blog without a big THANK YOU ALL to the folks I met at this most excellent event. You know who you are, and so do I but don't expect me to remember your name when Sharon and I return for the next ROCstock in November. My memory ain't what it used to be, and it never was very good. But I will remember what a great time I had at my first ROCstock!

Last edited:
Great report! I am glad you had a fun and successful launch. Your really getting on a roll now with those fiberglass kits. Make sure you pick up another K160 for GHS :wink:

Thanks Juan, yeah I already have another K160, should fly just under our wavier. Also have a couple more motors that won't, so it's back to ROCstock in the fall!

Last edited:
I sure wish Meat as we called him here in the Midwest still lived here he always came to the launches with great food.
Thanks Skippy
Gary

Back