3x upscale Estes Photon Probe project advice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyway2k

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Since I became a BAR, I've gotten a few builds under my belt and I feel I'm ready to start procuring parts and pieces to begin working on a 4" (300%) upscale of my very favorite rocket as a kid, the classic Estes Photon Probe. I've read the two threads on this forum (judo's and sodmeister's) front to back at least 5 times each so obviously it's not like this hasn't been done before, but I would like to do a few things to make the build my own.

I plan to build using the 4" LOC tubing and the LOC blunt-nose cone because it looks very similar to the Estes version. From there, the rest of the options have not been completely decided yet. Before I begin buying the materials, I wanted to ask for some advice from the forum on a few aspects.

1. I'm torn between a 38mm motor mount or a 54mm mount. I plan on using this rocket to attempt my L1 certification. Obviously, I would be flying it on a 38mm motor in the beginning, but I'm wondering if for later on a 54mm would be ideal? Obviously I can adapt down to a 38mm. Judo or sodmeister, any input after experience with yours?

2. As far as my capabilities to hand fabricate wooden components, I have access to a band saw so I'm not worried much about cutting the fins. However, I will be purchasing plywood centering rings. The 38mm to 98mm rings I found are 1/8" in thickness. The 54mm to 98mm are 1/4" in thickness. I was wondering if the 1/8" rings are adequate if I build using the 38mm MMT or should I double them up to get 1/4" thick rings?

3. Fin thickness is something I'm also wanting to ask about. I'm thinking 1/4" ply. Is that usually the best choice for a 4" model?

4. As far as the fin attachments, I'm obviously going to mount the large main fins through the wall to the motor mount tube. However, I'm not sure how I want to mount the smaller forward fins. I see judo mounted to the tube, while sodmeister mounted them through the wall. Seeing that they shouldn't ever really take the brunt of any hits in to the ground during recovery, do they really need to be through the wall? Any words of advice?

5. Lastly, I'm really intrigued by dual deployment and I'd really like to build this as a DD rocket. OpenRocket sims to about 2,100 feet on an I285. I'd hate to think about this thing drifting a mile on a 5 foot parachute in the breeze. I understand DD is a lot more complicated, but I think that is what would make it more fun.

I'm sure I will have more questions after I start constructing the rocket. I'm going to attach my OpenRocket file if anyone is interested in taking a peek and offering any advice or suggestions.

Thanks for your time!

View attachment 4 inch Photon Probe.ork

Do a search ,my build will come up ,it should answer all your questions.Another fellow (Judo) also did a build thread ,that should also provide much info.

HTH

Paul T

Thanks for the reply Paul. I have read both threads quite a few times actually. I noticed you both used 38mm motor mounts. Are you satisfied with that decision or looking back would you have rather used 54mm?

Thanks for the reply Paul. I have read both threads quite a few times actually. I noticed you both used 38mm motor mounts. Are you satisfied with that decision or looking back would you have rather used 54mm?

It`s not really that heavy a rocket ,and I build them pretty sturdy, but i did build it for 54mm LOL

I only flew it once on a CTI I 242 "white" using a 54-38 Aeropack adapter ,the flight was arrow stright and beautiful ,but I overpacked using too big of a Nomex chute protector and the ejection charge failed to push everything out.

The rocket pretty much survived, just crumpled the BT short of the forward fins ,so I cut off the old tube and added a new one...good as new.

I have not yet reflown it with a 54 stuffed in it ,this spring.

But 38mm would still be a good choice ,but depends how high you want to send it I suppose.

My upscale Photon Disruptor was built with a 38mm MMT ,due to a lack of room in the aft BT ,as i wanted good solid TTW fins geeting inside the tube.....54mm MMT would not have let much fin tab go9ng into the slot.

Paul t

Whoops!! I'm sorry, you're right! I was getting your Disruptor and Probe builds mixed up regarding the motor mounts. I think I will stick with building it with a 38mm mount. Time to order some parts. :)

Whoops!! I'm sorry, you're right! I was getting your Disruptor and Probe builds mixed up regarding the motor mounts. I think I will stick with building it with a 38mm mount. Time to order some parts. :)

Oh that`s OK....they are like sister and brother afterall LOL

Happy building

Paul T

phpIFqjLMAM.jpg

phpyQS4OJAM.jpg

Last edited:
Happy new year Tim !!

For some reason I was thinking of you when I typed this.I thought you saw the Disruptor all finished up in my build ?

Wish mine was signed and kissed by Kari though :blush:

You lucky dog !!!

Paul t

Thank you sir, hope you've had a safe and happy holiday season yourself.

Yeah, the autograph is nice, but I hope I get to get it in the air this year.

Good stuff! I love both of the Photon rockets.

I went the other direction and Goonyed the Disruptor.

Just a quick update... I ordered a lot of parts tonight from Apogee. I decided to go with the 54mm motor mount after I start researching Cesaroni long burn engines. Someday I want to put it up on something like a J140 longburn. Almost 8 1/2 second burn time! Freakin awesome! I picked up a 54mm - 38mm adapter so I can start out using the 38mm stuff first. I plan to ordered the recovery gear from Top Flight soon.

I found an original photon probe in packaging at my friends house...

Quick update - Just received a large box of goodies from Apogee last night. Packaged very nicely as usual! I love that company and Tim! Awesome! :D Pics of the goodies coming tonight...

Also got a box from Top Flight Recovery of the recovery gear. I'm waiting on a box from Hobbylinc of some more epoxy and super thin CA, as well as some 1/4 Baltic Birch from Midwest. That should be here tomorrow.

Decals from Stickershock are on the way also! Can't wait to see those!

I plan to spend some time this weekend laying out the spots on the body tubes for the fin slots, as well as doing the final figuring for the locations of the centering rings to line up everything correctly with the fin tabs, the rings, and the Aeropack retainer to get the retainer even with the end of the tube, and the aft ring against the fin tabs.

Now, a question. I should have just titled this thread "3x upscale Estes Photon Probe project" instead of the "advice" part since I want to keep the build thread here. Should I go ahead and begin a new thread or just keep it here?

Looking forward to some good fun over the next few weeks!

Quick update - Just received a large box of goodies from Apogee last night. Packaged very nicely as usual! I love that company and Tim! Awesome! :D Pics of the goodies coming tonight...

Also got a box from Top Flight Recovery of the recovery gear. I'm waiting on a box from Hobbylinc of some more epoxy and super thin CA, as well as some 1/4 Baltic Birch from Midwest. That should be here tomorrow.

Decals from Stickershock are on the way also! Can't wait to see those!

I plan to spend some time this weekend laying out the spots on the body tubes for the fin slots, as well as doing the final figuring for the locations of the centering rings to line up everything correctly with the fin tabs, the rings, and the Aeropack retainer to get the retainer even with the end of the tube, and the aft ring against the fin tabs.

Now, a question. I should have just titled this thread "3x upscale Estes Photon Probe project" instead of the "advice" part since I want to keep the build thread here. Should I go ahead and begin a new thread or just keep it here?

Looking forward to some good fun over the next few weeks!

Well ,seeing how I get easily confused ,I would start a new thread and title it "3 X Estes Photon Probe Project" like you say.....go for it !

Paul T

Back