20 things I like/dislike about Battlestar Galactica.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcp

Reaction score
1. First and most important: I don’t know of any BSG storyline that is self-contained within a single episode. I don’t believe it is possible to understand and appreciate BSG unless you start at the Mini-series and go through the episodes in order. There are tons of plot elements that simply aren't explained twice (who is this women and why can't anyone see her but Boltar?). The network broadcast of three episodes last Saturday was a huge confusing disservice to potential new fans. I hope that there will be regular rebroadcasts of the complete series in the future. The Mini-series DVD is available (Amazon, $19.58, any better?), and the series DVD should be out soon (it's already out in Europe, where the series was broadcast first).

2. No cute/whiny/techno-nerd/whiz kids. (They did introduce Boxly, Boxter, whatever his name, but he has had no significant role.)

3. No cute/helpful/obtuse/superior/error-prone/deranged robots. The only robots want to kill you. Simple. And, BTW, the robot CGI is excellent.

4. No cute/furry/dominant/helpful/belligerent/greedy aliens (that all speak engilsh). I bet they saved a fortune on latex.

5. No omniscient aliens who want to test/judge/observe/play with/wager on/eliminate humanity.

6. No control panel explosions. The Galactica took a nuke, and in CIC, *nothing* exploded into a shower of sparks; nuf said.

7. No centons, leptons, meptons, whatever time units. In the old BSG series, the flow of dialog would come to a crashing halt when they would throw in the one of these; glad they got rid of them.

8. No (less, anyway) techno-phony jargon. Without it, Spock/Data, etc., would have had *nothing* to say, but Galactica doesn’t need it.

9. No system/galaxy/universe confusion. All series have technical consultants, whose purpose is to keep the real jargon real. The difference here is that somebody actually made the writers listen to them.

10. Fair military jargon. A bit too ‘Top Gunnish’, but not over the top, I think. I was impressed when they addressed Adama as “Galactica Actual”. They did, however, go too far with the aircraft-carrier analog (but much of that is carry-over from the old BSG).

11. Fair spacecraft dynamics. They have attitude thrusters and use them. I think there is still some ‘aerodynamic’ spacecraft motion, but less than most. And, BTW, the spacecraft CGI is excellent. Getting a bit tired of seeing the same clips repeated tho.

12. Minimal Deus ex Machina. None of the usual ‘enter the secret code and take control of the enemy ship’ crap. Some, but much less than usual. (Well, the Cylons did ‘disable’ the human ships, but then, that’s what they do.)

13. They seldom interrupt the action for lengthy elementary technical explanations. Good example was when Starbuck was downed on a moon, she whipped out a pen and opened it; it turned red. No explanation needed, it was her atmosphere tester, packaged like you might expect it to be for survival gear, and they trusted that the audience was intelligent enough to figure it out, nice. Basically, you can sum up many of the above points as: They respect their fans; they see no need to dumb it down.

14. Anyone noticed that the theme and background score are excellent. Reminds me of the Kodo drummers (that I would go to see again in an instant, if they return – check out “Ibuki” CD audio clips on Amazon [‘Zoku’ in particular, but you really need a good subwoofer to appreciate it – still nothing like live].). Interestingly the European broadcast of BSG has a different, also excellent, theme. I wish they would alternate. There are several soundtrack CD’s that I might have to check out.

15. A bit too much shakey-cam. Some can enhance the ‘you-are-there’ feel (e.g., the “COP’s” cameraman running after the cop running after the perp), but a little goes a long way. Likewise the angled camera frame. (Over-the-top example is “Battlefield Earth”, where there is not a single frame where the camera is level. ...Which is part of its ‘camp’ so-bad-it's-good appeal.)

16. Hot alien chick. Well, they succumbed to this cliché, but at least there is the reason that she was needed to seduce Boltar. And I like the character; some of the conversations with Boltar’s implant are fascinating/hilarious (and, yes, hot). And BTW, there is a nude photo of Tricia Helfer on the web (I don’t *think* it is photoshopped). You’ll have to Google it yourself, but it's clear that she is not human.

17. Well, they also fell for the whiny sky-is-falling scientist cliché. I would have stuffed him out an airlock long ago, but I guess they need him. However I can’t believe that he is apparently the only scientific/technical staff present.

18. Fans of BSG might appreciate reading David Weber’s “Honor Harrington” series. Similar space opera genre; many multi-book spanning interrelated plot threads. Start with “On Basilisk Station”. (It too, is a series that must be taken from the beginning; settle in for a long read.)

19. The Mini-series DVD is really a minimal production affair. No printed insert at all, single disk, no disk label, it’s a ‘flip-the-disk’ for extra’s deal. It does have subtitles, which I like to pick up dialog I might have missed; and there is an audio commentary that I haven’t listened to yet. Haven’t looked at the extra’s yet either.

20. Your turn. What else?

Wow! You really hit all of the major points there! I love the series and I haven't noticed the "vomit-cam" camerawork until people pointed it out on this forum. The only thing I am getting tired of if Boltar's constant fantasies. The sexual aspect of the show doesn't bother me, but the thing with him & whats-her-name is getting old... He must constantly have to do laundry:rolleyes:

Must be a sign of my age or something. I own the complete old series and kind of liked it. I find the new show:
1.)The lighting is dark and the combat sequances are hard to follow.
2.)The characters by those who like them are gritty and realistic. To those of us who dislike them they are very flawed human beings who could not find their own rear end with both hands locked in a closet. They are pyshotics, drunks very ill and just plain nutty. This reminds me very much of a soap opera wth space ships. Sort of a cornation street of the stars.
3.) I like some technobabbale and the odd exploding instrument panel is kind of neat.
5)Starbuck as a women is just wrong even if both are blonde.
Cheers
fred

VCP,
Wow, that's a great list!
re: #7: I am glad they kept "frack," though!
I also like the interesting contrast between the polytheistic humans and monotheistic Cylons.
Drew Tomko

Back