SLI/USLI 2010

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Today is the first day of SLI/USLI (Student Launch Initiative / University Student Launch Initiative). The day began with tours of Marshall for the teams, in addition to USLI hardware checks tonight.

Attached are some photos from tonight's hardware checks. Think of it as RSO checkin on steroids, where the teams are required to present their rocket to HPR experienced folks, who go through it, looking for issues and providing feedback on issues to resolve prior to launch this weekend.

-Kevin

sli1.jpg

sli2.jpg

sli3.jpg

sli4.jpg

sli5.jpg

That sled in photo #4 seems to be an attempt to fly one of everything.

You need to let them know that they're missing the Raven altimeter (or is it behind something else?).

That sled in photo #4 seems to be an attempt to fly one of everything.

You need to let them know that they're missing the Raven altimeter (or is it behind something else?).

There is a team that's doing altimeter comparisons as their payload. They have a total of 12 different altimeters -- 2 each, of 6 different models.

-Kevin

In that case you might want to tell them about the old adage that "The man who has two watches never knows what time it is". :)

P.S. - notice that I'm posting here, not in the "patience" thread. I must enjoy rockets, or something.

Photos from day 2. These include not only tour photos, but also photos from the Rocket Fair.

-Kevin

sli1.jpg

sli2.jpg

sli3.jpg

sli4.jpg

sli5.jpg

Just posted a report that University of South Alabama in Mobile reached an altitude of 5307 feet. They are the closet to mile so far.
:cheers:

Haven't seen Mississippi State or Harding University launch yet.
:pop:

Today is the first day of SLI/USLI (Student Launch Initiative / University Student Launch Initiative).

What Kevin didn't tell you is that HE was also one of the volunteers that was providing the hardware checks... he and his partner were our safety checkers on the second night of hardware checks - the night for all of the high school teams.

And for those that haven't met Troj.... here's a pix of him doing our hardware check.

And don't forget that NASA is streaming the high school launches on UStream.TV on Sunday from 10:00 am until we're finished! Be sure and check out all of the high school teams from across the country.

https://www.ustream.tv

DSC01427.jpg

SLI Day 3

Today, the University teams flew, as well as one high school team, in addition to the banquet.

I also have to give credit to the team from UCF (University of Central Florida) -- USLI is a competition. There are awards to be won. Yet, they took the time to help out another team, who was experiencing problems with their hybrid GSE.

-Kevin

sli1.jpg

sli2.jpg

sli3.jpg

sli4.jpg

sli5.jpg

Today (Saturday) was the flight day for the universities and colleges.... lots of folks showed up, including one who I've wanted to meet for a long time (besides Troj, that is)....

Homer Hickam, former NASA engineer, author of Rocket Boys, and enthusiastic supporter of educational outreach programs like the SLI program, came by for a couple of hours, today, and was most generous in meeting and allowing photographs. This one's a keeper!

It's been a long day, and we've got our rocket ready to head out to the field first thing tomorrow morning - must have sleep, now!

DSC01434.jpg

Day 4 -- Rockets in the dust!

Today was the day for high schools & middle schools. Another great day of flights, and the teams did a fantastic job!

-Kevin

sli1.jpg

sli2.jpg

sli3.jpg

sli4.jpg

sli5.jpg

Day 4, part 2. The hardest part of today? Saying goodbye to so many folks, knowing I won't see them for a long time.

Of course, that's one of the hardest parts of many launches!

-Kevin

sli6.jpg

sli7.jpg

sli8.jpg

sli9.jpg

Cool rollerons in one of the pictures. It looks like they did an interesting mod to the concept in which the rolleron torque would move a fin tab. Did you get a chance to talk to them about that?

Looks like another great year for the SLI/USLI - thanks for sharing!

I also have to give credit to the team from UCF (University of Central Florida) -- USLI is a competition. There are awards to be won. Yet, they took the time to help out another team, who was experiencing problems with their hybrid GSE.

I watched a few minutes of the launches live as streamed over the Internet when one of the competitors came on to tell how the UCF team had helped his team. It was nice to hear. Those are some really great kids.

The UCF team and others flew their rockets at the NEFAR launch this month. I have photos - uncaptioned, of course - at https://www.payloadbay.com/gallery/v/nefar-launches/2010-04-10/.

-- Roger

Cool rollerons in one of the pictures. It looks like they did an interesting mod to the concept in which the rolleron torque would move a fin tab. Did you get a chance to talk to them about that?

Nope, I didn't chat with them about it. Let me see if I can find their website (all the teams do websites) and get you the info.

John Lyngdal comes in here periodically, and may know the answer off the top of his head.

-Kevin

I watched a few minutes of the launches live as streamed over the Internet when one of the competitors came on to tell how the UCF team had helped his team. It was nice to hear. Those are some really great kids.

What's really important about that is that for the USLI teams, it really is a competition. So, UCF, besides just doing the right thing from a rocketry perspective, also demonstrated great sportsmanship, and helped a competitor.

I, along a member of HARA, did their hardware check on Thursday night. Definitely a great group of individuals, who had put a lot of effort into their project.

After the banquet Saturday, I talked with them about it, and let them know how impressed we, as rocketry folks, were by what they had done.

-Kevin

That's the Embry-Riddle kids.

Here's a video from the March NEFAR launch
https://www.nefar.net/gallery/2010-03/Blastphemy-L1080-ERAU-USLI-Team.wmv
(There's also an HD version in the directory).

And their website describing the rollerons-
https://www.erausli-blastphemy.com/index_files/Tail_Section.htm

I've seen this rocket flight a couple of times and I'm not
convinced the rollerons actually helped. Unlike the sidewinder (where
the concept is from), the gyroscopes embedded in the fins aren't
spinning at launch. I also question if the forces in play are effective
(not enough wheel mass). Then again, I haven't seen their data, so
could be way off base.

Still, it's a great concept and applaud the creativity for the contest.

Glad you got a picture of our team and our payload-arming troubles :) I'm working on editing pictures from the events as I type. What a lot of fun that was...

Yeah, been there, done that -- I empathize with the "fun" you guys were having!

I've got pictures of the drilling process, too.

-Kevin

Back