Red Glare 8 (MDRA)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to see the video!

Heller built a 3 grain O4700 he wanted to fly. So he called me at 8:30 last night and asked me to prep it. I got my act together and got it mostly done. Got there around 11:00 today, worked untill 3:30 and got it on the pad. Lit the candle and it was SCREAMING off the pad, 1k feet up or so and it let go. Parts were everywhere. The fins, chutes, nosecone, and electronics were all that was good. He did get the nozzle/carrier and case back but it needs to be cut down.

Ben

I read then that it WAS someone elses motor (not sure whose motor case it was - or whose rocket either).

<"He did get the nozzle/carrier and case back but it needs to be cut down.>"

Well, I'm sure you can advise on that...since you've been there, done that.

Last edited:
<"He did get the nozzle/carrier and case back but it needs to be cut down.>"

Well, I'm sure you can advse on that...since you've been there, done that.

Well, I gave mine to Ed Romani that I blew last month. I was actually hoping to keep the O case since he did blow up my rocket, just seems fair. Ill get it cut down to a 2 grain.

Ben

Well, I gave mine to Ed Romani that I blew last month. I was actually hoping to keep the O case since he did blow up my rocket, just seems fair. Ill get it cut down to a 2 grain.

Ben

And where was Skycopp...(he must have had something clever to say like...all in good fun of course....So, how does it feel when the shoe is on the other foot...)

"Bens back in rocketry"

Would that include a picture of something blowing up?

A) I laughed so hard I had to dig up my inhaler...

B) I would buy 2.

Ben! You have become a rocketry institution!

Last edited:
A) I laughed so hard I had dig up my inhaler...

B) I would buy 2.

Ben! You have become a rocketry institution!

Well, and I hate to say this, Red Glare rekindled my rocket fire. Im really trying to get rid of crap though. I mean I dont need 10 38-240 cases. Im not going to get out but I need to scale back at this point.

And David missed it by 30min or so. It was pretty fun none the less. Am I happy? no. But if it was easy everyone would do it

Ben

Well, and I hate to say this, Red Glare rekindled my rocket fire. Im really trying to get rid of crap though. I mean I dont need 10 38-240 cases. Im not going to get out but I need to scale back at this point.

And David missed it by 30min or so. It was pretty fun none the less. Am I happy? no. But if it was easy everyone would do it

Ben

<"if it was easy everyone would do it>"

This is true.

The other saying is.....Professionals tend to "make it look easy".

<"if it was easy everyone would do it>"

This is true.

The other saying is.....Professionals tend to "make it look easy".

I do make it look quite easy dont I ;)

Im going to try and get the Sandhawk rebuilt and finish that and the booster and my 4" cherokee D. That way I have 2 good sized finished rockets I can throw together and fly if I have sometime. There is one rocket I would like to make but Ill have to see how the money train is this summer.

Ben

I got some pretty good pics of it going up, and one of it going "KABLOOEY."

My camera takes 8 frames a second. It was intact in the 7th frame. It was spread across the sky in the 8th frame. :y:

I've attached the 2nd, 7th, and 8th frames.

_MG_0407-2.jpg

_MG_0412-2.jpg

_MG_0413-2.jpg

AWESOME!
Do you mind If I forward that to some friends?

That blue was kicking ass!

Ben

I got some pretty good pics of it going up, and one of it going "KABLOOEY."

My camera takes 8 frames a second. It was intact in the 7th frame. It was spread across the sky in the 8th frame. :y:

I've attached the 2nd, 7th, and 8th frames.

Ouch... thats gonna leave a mark. :jaw:

Guess those were about some cluster project, with lots of 38's?

Maybe I'll pick some of them up....like outboards for a 4" Nike Hercules - or a big Saturn 1b maybe......: )

I only need 2.

Ill cut you a deal, buy one, and Ill give you the one you bought.

Ben

Here is a CATO I caught,

ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400

These are straight from the camera,, I need to clean them up,, but this was just one of the "real cool flights" to show you all what you are missing.

Tom

Oh have to include my "Toothed pyramid of doom" (My 9yo daughter named it) on an EX J300 sparky.

ry%3D400

Tom

I have it,, see me today,, big silver trailer,, right side,,, you know where the big Harpoon is for sale,, buy the 'poon and I will return your cord. ;)

Tom

Here's yet another cato. This one was insane. It bent the giant rail on the away cell.:eek:

_MG_0565-2.jpg

Yup. He flew the Big V2 earlier, and it was beautiful. A central O with 2 outboard N's.

_MG_0216-2.jpg

_MG_0230-2.jpg

On another note, I should be going for my L1 (re)cert today. I bought a Wildman Drago at the launch yesterday, and built it in my hotel room. It sims out at over 2500ft on a 3 grain H. Or I could go all out and fly it to 5,200ft on an I200W. hmmm...choices.

On another note, I should be going for my L1 (re)cert today. I bought a Wildman Drago at the launch yesterday, and built it in my hotel room. It sims out at over 2500ft on a 3 grain H. Or I could go all out and fly it to 5,200ft on an I200W. hmmm...choices.

Best of luck. Maggie got her L1 Friday. My Friday attempt failed (Recovery Sep) But a frantic midnight build had me on the pad Saturday with a second (and succesfull) attempt. Wasn't sure about the wind but there was no way my wife was going to cert and me not.:y:

Best of luck. Maggie got her L1 Friday. My Friday attempt failed (Recovery Sep) But a frantic midnight build had me on the pad Saturday with a second (and succesfull) attempt. Wasn't sure about the wind but there was no way my wife was going to cert and me not.:y:

So... Was Maggie able to talk down to you and give you crap for 24 hours?:D

So... Was Maggie able to talk down to you and give you crap for 24 hours?:D

"WAS"?!?!? IS my friend. Actually it was the rest of the club BODs that gave me the well deserved, good natured ribbing I so greatly earned :blush: I love these guys. I actually do. How messed up is that? It was all good. Maggie saved the family honor on Friday. I had a great flight Sat in spite of the wind (and the fact that my rocket was neked). Now I just have to get some paint on the Bull Pup. If it wasn't for my failed attempt Friday, we wouldn't have gone back Saturday. Then I'd have missed Bens Spectacular CATO. Tough break Ben, Looked as if you had the makings of an awsome flight. Maggie won one of the raffle prizes Saturday. A single use AT 29mm Redline G. She won a reload case last RG. Think I'll take her to Vegas. Lots of Certs this weekend; L1, L2 and L3. I was impressed by the fact that most everyone was able to adjust quite well to the heave wind conditions. In all a great weekend event.

Back