Sat V question for Carl @ Semroc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikus

Reaction score
Hey Carl, it's time to put the Christmas list together for the wifey so I guess I've got to ask.

Do I put your Saturn V kit on it or do I wait for next year? I don't want to drive her crazy it if it's not going to be ready, that would be a Bad Idea(TM). ;)
So what's the word? Thanks! :pop:

Hey Carl, it's time to put the Christmas list together for the wifey so I guess I've got to ask.

Do I put your Saturn V kit on it or do I wait for next year? I don't want to drive her crazy it if it's not going to be ready, that would be a Bad Idea(TM). ;)
We have been very busy since NARAM trying to get everything restocked. We are working on over 10 major projects right now, including the Saturns. As always, we have to keep adjusting priorities to keep cashflow (and timeflow!) positive.

The Saturn V is still on my list, but Sheryl has ANOTHER product on her Christmas list!:D

Thanks for considering Semroc for your list.

Well that didn't sound too promising. No sweat, take your time and get it right. When you're ready, I'm ready. :D

I'm sure I can find something else for her to buy me. ;)

We are working on over 10 major projects right now, including the Saturns...The Saturn V is still on my list...

But you never really answered the question, Carl. Can you at least tell us if it will be available this year?

But you never really answered the question, Carl. Can you at least tell us if it will be available this year?

My guess is if he knew, definitively, that it would be ready by the end of the year, he would state as much.

-Kevin

My guess is if he knew, definitively, that it would be ready by the end of the year, he would state as much.

-Kevin

Yah I read it as a definite maybe. :confused2:

I wouldn't hold your breath tho. But I'm also betting the day after it's ready to go, he's all over this board saying "So... who wants one?" :D

:eyepop: Me, me, me!!! :eyepop:

And some people say the forums are a waste of time for vendors.... sheesh! :mad:

There are far too many variables to answer that! Our primary goal at the beginning of each month is to stay in business one more month. If there is any time and capital left over, we work on new products.

By estimating the size of Estes-Cox from their figures on YORF, we are only about 1% as big as they are. Knowing that they are also working on a 1/100 scale Saturn V, with almost unlimited resources compared to us and the benefit of much lower production costs, we do not want to squander our limited resources to try to compete directly with them.

I just realized that I still did not answer your original question. :eek: The best answer is, "I won't know until it is ready to ship." We do try to keep everyone informed about what we are working on and we do use feedback from the forums to realign our priorities, but we hope no one thinks we are trying to pre-sell something that we have not finished.

Thank you, Carl for the explanation. We understand the business side of your dilemma. Those of us who have ordered from you in the past also know we can expect a good product when your Saturn V is complete. We'll remain patient and wait for the good news.

One final question though: when you do announce release of the Semroc Saturn V, where and how will that announcement be made? Perhaps on this forum or do you have an "email me with news" from the Semroc website option? Or both? Thanks again!

...when you do announce release of the Semroc Saturn V, where and how will that announcement be made?
We announce new products first on YORF. Then, that announcement is cross-posted here and on other forums. As soon as the announcment is posted, a general email is sent out to all our "opt-in" customers with valid email addresses.

Shhhh! Carl! Just use the old "lead testing" line on 'em... Works every time! ;)

Considering the quality of the SEMROC products, I'd much rather have their SATURN V. And...My credit card is here by my computer waiting. The minute SEMROC makes the new kits available, I'll be ordering.

It's so cool being able to buy models I could not afford as a teenager. I feel like I'm 15 again. I wish Carl could see me when I get a package from SEMROC in the mail. I forget all about the things that normally worry most adults.

My guess is with all the parts involved in kitting up a Saturn, it would be such a huge strain on the family that they'd have trouble keeping up with anything else. Trying to release a Saturn around what is hopefully a busy time of year would be nuts. As a customer I'd love to see it come out around the holidays since it would make a great gift, but if I were running the business, I'd probably try to time it closer to February or so when sales probably start to drop off a bit and let the buzz drive things back up.

Good Products? (insert pregnant pause here!) Good Products?

Semroc has shipped me only GREAT products. Quality like I remember from the old days!

All silliness aside, Carl is right. With the economy like it is, cash flow month to month is king.

Then again my wife doesn't want a rocket for Christmas either.

By The Way Carl, thanks for the great service you provide, even to us Red Necks in South Texas.

Regardless of whether or when Semroc is able to ship a Saturn V kit, it is good to keep in mind that they currently stock some 98 (at last count) other GREAT kits, including a magnificent Saturn 1B. So there is no need to wait. :D Gentlemen (and ladies), open your wallets...

98 kits! What are you waiting for?

MarkII

Let me repeat: 98 wonderful, superb kits!! Even at its zenith during the glory years, Estes Industries never had anywhere close to that number of kits in its catalog. Nor does anyone else today.

MarkII, self-appointed amateur huckster

(Call now! Operators are standing by!!)

Considering the quality of the SEMROC products, I'd much rather have their SATURN V. And...My credit card is here by my computer waiting. The minute SEMROC makes the new kits available, I'll be ordering.

It's so cool being able to buy models I could not afford as a teenager. I feel like I'm 15 again. I wish Carl could see me when I get a package from SEMROC in the mail. I forget all about the things that normally worry most adults.

Completely seconded. And welcome to the forum Crocodile. :cool:

Let me repeat: 98 wonderful, superb kits!! Even at its zenith during the glory years, Estes Industries never had anywhere close to that number of kits in its catalog. Nor does anyone else today.

MarkII, self-appointed amateur huckster

(Call now! Operators are standing by!!)

98?!??!!?:eyepop:WOW! I think I have almost half of them..LOL..

I will add my voice with Crocodile's and will hope to grab a SAT V as soon as it is available! :D

Ask her to get you a Semroc gift certificate, then you will be ready to go whenever the Sat-V is available. Small problem - if the Sat V is delayed for some time, it will really be burning a hole in your pocket - but with 98 other choices you cant go wrong with a Semroc kit.

Ask her to get you a Semroc gift certificate, then you will be ready to go whenever the Sat-V is available. Small problem - if the Sat V is delayed for some time, it will really be burning a hole in your pocket - but with 98 other choices you cant go wrong with a Semroc kit.

And if the Sat V never materializes??? I can't really build and fly a gift certificate and I have the Semroc kits that I want already.

I thought we already covered sending vendors money in the hope a product will be delivered someday? :eyepop:

And if the Sat V never materializes??? I can't really build and fly a gift certificate and I have the Semroc kits that I want already.

I thought we already covered sending vendors money in the hope a product will be delivered someday? :eyepop:

Carl said in his earlier post that they're currently working on 10 major projects. I predict that a $50 Semroc gift certificate will not gather dust in a drawer for long.

The key question is why Carl hasn't used Sheryl's time-warping shipping gizmo to send some of the kits back in time to himself so that he can then re-ship them to us now...

sign me up for one of those sat V's the sat 1B was waayyy cool.

maybe if enough of us ask, he'll do another run (after all, demand almost always creates supply) :clap:

So I'm thumbing through the latest issue of Sport Rocketry, and right in the middle of the full page Semroc add is a Saturn V... looks nice... can't wait... :rolleyes:

And for what it's worth, I'd spend my money on a Semroc product over an Estes product ANY DAY!

Keep up the great work you guys (and gal)!

p.s. when is the Torellian Invader coming out?

I just looked at the Semroc site and it still lists a price for the Saturn V of only $50. But the 1B is $70. Why the big difference? Does that tell us to expect less with the Saturn V?

I can not believe the tubes and wraps make that much of a difference and in a way, expected the Saturn V to actually cost more.

Back