Cert rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.O.B.H.C.

Reaction score
I though I would start a thread about your cert flight(s) where you can tell us about what rocket and motor you used for your certification flight(s) and any other information you might want to give about the rocket and cert flight(s).

Here are mine:

L1:
Rocket: Public Missiles Ltd. Phobos
Motor: Aerotech H165 Redline
Altitude: Projected about 1700'

L2:
Rocket: Public Enemy Rockets Extreme Performer
Motor: Aerotech J460 Blue Thunder
Altitude: MAWD 3096' and HiAlts45K 3077'

L3:
Rocket: Performance Rocketry Competitor 4
Motor: Aerotech M1315 White Lightning
Altitude: MAWD 16,345' and HiAlts45K 16,203'

Last edited:
Conformation rocket:

Scratch built 3.1" x5' PVC drain pipe with a self turned pine nosecone, Luan(mahogany doorskin) fins soaked with thinned epoxy and fiberglassed to the PVC motor tube with a parachute I made.

motor was a AeroTech I284-14 to about 4000"

spring 1993 Mountian Home, ID

2nd level:

same rocket as above

Kosdon J280-10 to the same altitude(ejection was way too early but the bungie held up *whew*

Launched at a Oregon launch (Can't remember the name of the site :p) '97 I think

3rd:

6" x 15' PVC rocket with a self turned nosecone from blue construction foam, epoxy soaked Luan fins, Aerocon 16' surplus parachute. Radio Shack timer I assembeled from a kit and adapted to work by my friend Paul Duel plus a Robies Rocket Radio Shack Micronta timer modified to run ejection.

Kosdon M2240 to about 5000' 50lbs at launch

Blackrock , NV '99

L1: Scratch-built Estes Teros 4x upscale using LOC Precision parts and a Sandman custom-turned nose cone on an AT H123W (38/240), March 2007.

Planned L2: Scratch-built Estes Bandit 3x upscale using LOC parts probably on an AT J420R or J500G (38/720), dual-deploy via PerfectFlite HiAlt45K, hopefully this summer or fall.

L3: Who knows?

L1: PML AMRAAM 3, H123W, May 2005 ~1500 feet
L2: Scratch 4" AMRAAM, L2375 White Thunder, October 2008, 11870 feet
L3: No idea.

Last edited:
Level 1 Loc Hyperloc 835 on an aerotech I218M redline to about 2000 feet.

L1 - BSD Sprint - H128 - Flawless flight, perfect and straight, with soft landing on recovery

L2 - BSD Apache - Ready to go - probably will make attempt this summer

Level 1,
Scratch built 4" x 36" graphite tube, .1 inch thick graphite fins, PML blow molded nosecone. 38 mm motor mount.
Aerotech H123 I think (29mm with an adapter)
Simple motor deploy
Perfect flight to 2000 plus feet

Level 2,
Same rocket as level 1 but..
Aerotech J350 (38mm)
Simple motor deploy
Perfect flight to over 5000 feet

Level 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7e3VNw-r30

Scratch built 8" fiberglass rocket 12' tall 70 lbs fully loaded with nitrous.
Graphite bolt on fins
Scratch built hollow fiberglass nose cone (main was in the nosecone)
Hypertek M1010

Dual Deploy, Rocketman 90" drogue, Rocketman 140" main, military surplus deployment bag
Two Perfectflite Hi-Alt45

Perfect flight to 8800 feet
Suggestion, pick a kit (or build one yourself) that you can use for level 1 and 2.

Last edited:
L1
Rocket:
PML Explorer
Motor: Aerotech H128, motor eject

L2
Rocket:
Public Enemy Bullpup
Motor: Aerotech J350, motor eject

L3
Rocket:
Scratch built 4.5X upscale of Estes Bandit
Motor: Animal Motor Works M1350WW
Altitude: 6700 ft
altimeters - GWiz LCX set at 1000' main deploy; Adept ALTS25 set at 1200' main deploy.

Last edited:
L1

Rocket - BSD Sprint
Motor - AT H128W
Alt. - 1,500-1,600 feet (projected)

Got my L1 5 days before Christmas, what a present to one's self.:D

L2

Rocket - Binder Design Raptor
Motor - AT J350W
Alt. - 3,000-3,500 feet (projected)

VERY windy day but flown and recovered with no problems other than a very long walk.;)

L3

Rocket - Huh???
Motor - Say what???
Alt - See above!!!

Last edited:
Level 1,
Scratch built 4" x 36" graphite tube, .1 inch thick graphite fins, PML blow molded nosecone. 38 mm motor mount.
Aerotech H123 I think (29mm with an adapter)
the H123 is 38mm. If it was a 29mm, then it was probably the H128 (same motor I used for my L1...and also with an adapter)

Jr L1:

Yank Enterprise Mystic Buzz (In the avatar) on an H128. I drag raced my dad's Sumo on an H180. It was at Midwest Power if any of you remember.

Perfect flight to about 2500'.

L2:

Coming when I turn 18.

L3:

When I have enough money!

L1:
Rocket: Pem-Tech Space Ark
Motor: Pro38-H153
Altitude: Projected about 1000'

Planned L2:
Rocket: 5" upscale of the King Kraken
Motor: Pro38-J410
Altitude: Will carry a MAWD

Planned L3:
Rocket: BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahaha!
Motor: Big
Altitude: Lots

Level One only.

North Coast Rocketry Phantom 4000, built stock, with an Aerotech H128 Reload.

Eventually will do Level Two, but not sure with what. I've got a LOC Calibre-ISP, and a EZI-65. Or I could stick a J350 in the Mega Alpha.

L-1
Sumo H125 [single use] 2400ft Orangeburg SC

L-2
Binder Design Galaxy J-275 3600ft Midwest Power 1 Illinois

L-3
Scratch built Ultimate Ultimate Endeavor....Hawk mountain 6in glass parts
AMW M-2200 skidmark 6800ft Airfest Argonia Kansas

L-4
In process

Blunt Trauma, salvaged 4.5" tube from tube manufacturer in OKC, blue foam N/C, old furniture plywood fins.
Level 1 on H242
Level 2 on J350
flew 6 more times on I211's, J350's, J570, and an Ellis Mt single use J that had lost it's ejection charge, evidently...

i21102.JPG

L1 Polecat Spike on a H153 Cessaroni

L2 Polecat Phoenix on a J360 Cessaroni

L3 Polecat Fatman on a M1419 took to a alt of 6789ft dual deploy.

L1 (Confirmation flight--early '90s)
Rocket: ISP Nostromo
Motor: Vulcan H100SS, motor ejection

L2
Rocket: Modified 5.5" Nike Smoke
Motor: AMW J-365SK
PF MAWD Dual-Deploy

L3
Rocket: Modified PR Mad Max (Blue Maxx)
Motor: AMW M1350WW
Dual PF MAWDs

L1 and L2
Same day, same rocket, on a Cesaroni I285 and a J210. The rocket was a scratch built, 4" airframe, up-scale of my 1972 Estes Design of the Month winning design called "Top Secret." Original plans were published in Estes Model Rocket News Magazing in the Spring of 1973 (and are available on JimZ Plans). The up-scaled design utilized a Rouse-Tech CD3 recovery system activated by a Transolve Flux Capacitor magnetic apogee detector. It was also a zipperless, baffle design with backup deployment provided by the motor ejection charge.

See my signature! Both were motor ejection. Might do my level III this summer if money allows. Eventually will build a 98mm MMT saucer with lights!

Mike

It was not so much the rockets with my certifications...but more the journey!
For my certifications I had to travel from Perth Western Australia to West Palm Florida, some 11,800 miles....one way!

It was a matter of logistics
Since I was going to be traveling a heck of a distance to attempt my certifications, I wanted a rocket that had the greatest margin for success, and that could do both L1 & L2 capabilities.

I was going to be doing a few firsts, so I had fairly meticulous planning
I chose the GLR Elipse in the FG version because it would fly easily on both L1 & L2 motor selections without having to add nose weight, the rocket had many desirable features that would make it very robust should anything go wrong....and heck it was just downright cool.

After having the kit shipped out to Australia, and constructing my first FG kit, I shipped it back to my contact in Florida.
I ordered my desired reloads through GLR and had them delivered to the vendor in Florida.
I arrived in the US, made connection with the Prefect & local contacts, assembled and flew the rocket.

L1
GLR FWFG Elipse
3" Diameter
78" Length
6.5lbs
I357T
Motor Ejection
1450ft

Upon the success flight of the Elipse, I took the level 2 written test, passed and began the preparations for the L2 flight.
This is where some of my firsts came in:
First dual deployment
First use of electronics
First use of back up ejection

L2
GLR FWFG Elipse
3" Diameter
78" Length
6.5lbs
J420R
PerfectFlite MAWD
Dual deployment
Back up motor ejection using 14 second delay.
3033ft

L3
BSD Thor - X
4" Diameter
92" Length
Dual Walled
Aerosleeves FG reinforced
FG T2T
18lbs
M1297W
Dual PerfectFlite MAWD's
24' TAC Drogue
72" TAC 1 Main
11,650ft

Upon my return to Australia, there was much coaxing to think about again returning to Florida to attempt my L3.
Again, it would require a rocket that would be very versatile, and have the highest margin for success.
One of the greatest challenges was finding a rocket that would be easily and economically shippable to the US and yet not break waivers of the intended site.
Upon discussions with my chosen TAP's I selected the BSD Thor - X as a starting point.

The rocket was reinforced using Aerosleeves socks, and tip 2 tip glassing of the fins. The motor that was selected for duty was the smallest M available.
Redundant PerfectFlite MAWD's were used as the electronics package, and a Walston Tracker was added to aid with the recovery.

Once again the rocket was shipped to my contact in Florida, and I arrived in Florida for the 2008 Winternationals.
The rocket was inspected by the TAP's and much discussion was had on the logistics to get to that point.
An Aerotech M1297W was prepped for the duty, the electronics and recovery systems were prepped, rocket Inspected by the RSO and set on the pad.

All was ready......The butterflies were released, approximately the same time as the LCO started the announcement.....the buttons was pushed and the rocket scorched upwards to around 11,600ft. It deployed the drogue at apogee as intended, and the 72" main came out nicely at 1,100ft.
The rocket landed maybe 3/4 mile from the pads. It wasn't at all hard to find on the luscious green turf of the Roth Farms site.

I have made some great friends, while traveling to the US to fly rockets, and have met some truly wonderful people, and there are far too many to name, but I'm sure they all know who they are, I have had the pleasure of flying at LDRS in a "Crazy Jims AMW M2200 Skidmark Drag Race" in Argonia.
I have many very fond memories of my times in the US.

I often read on forums about how different folks have certed, and wondered if my story is somewhat unique...I believe it is!
If I stated how much it has cost to do these flights, many of the readers of this forum would cringe in sheer terror, but I can say it was significant!

But, I wouldn't change a thing!

L1: Aerotech SUMO on an H128, motor deploy, to about 1500'..

L2: Binder Design Excel Plus renamed Wally's Ride on a J315, dual deploy with HiAlt15k, altitude of 2400'(I think)

L-3: Ummm, when I win the lotto?..LOL :p

L1- Polecat 5.5" Thumper - Pro38 4G Standard I. About 1600'

L2- BSD Thor - Pro54 2G J210 Standard. About 4000'

L3...yeah, right!?!

Unfortunately I let my NAR membership expire last year and I haven't been able to get to renew it or fly much of anything since then. :(

Jason

L1: Applewhite Cluster Saucer - AT H123W - about 1500'. Fun as heck. :)

L2: Giant Leap Vertical Assault (Dynawind) - AT J800T - MAWD 8023' - Dual deploy. Awesome flight.

L3: Planning stage. :)

It was not so much the rockets with my certifications...but more the journey!
For my certifications I had to travel from Perth Western Australia to West Palm Florida, some 11,800 miles....one way!

It was a matter of logistics
Since I was going to be traveling a heck of a distance to attempt my certifications, I wanted a rocket that had the greatest margin for success, and that could do both L1 & L2 capabilities.

I was going to be doing a few firsts, so I had fairly meticulous planning
I chose the GLR Elipse in the FG version because it would fly easily on both L1 & L2 motor selections without having to add nose weight, the rocket had many desirable features that would make it very robust should anything go wrong....and heck it was just downright cool.

After having the kit shipped out to Australia, and constructing my first FG kit, I shipped it back to my contact in Florida.
I ordered my desired reloads through GLR and had them delivered to the vendor in Florida.
I arrived in the US, made connection with the Prefect & local contacts, assembled and flew the rocket.

L1
GLR FWFG Elipse
3" Diameter
78" Length
6.5lbs
I357T
Motor Ejection
1450ft

Upon the success flight of the Elipse, I took the level 2 written test, passed and began the preparations for the L2 flight.
This is where some of my firsts came in:
First dual deployment
First use of electronics
First use of back up ejection

L2
GLR FWFG Elipse
3" Diameter
78" Length
6.5lbs
J420R
PerfectFlite MAWD
Dual deployment
Back up motor ejection using 14 second delay.
3033ft

L3
BSD Thor - X
4" Diameter
92" Length
Dual Walled
Aerosleeves FG reinforced
FG T2T
18lbs
M1297W
Dual PerfectFlite MAWD's
24' TAC Drogue
72" TAC 1 Main
11,650ft

Upon my return to Australia, there was much coaxing to think about again returning to Florida to attempt my L3.
Again, it would require a rocket that would be very versatile, and have the highest margin for success.
One of the greatest challenges was finding a rocket that would be easily and economically shippable to the US and yet not break waivers of the intended site.
Upon discussions with my chosen TAP's I selected the BSD Thor - X as a starting point.

The rocket was reinforced using Aerosleeves socks, and tip 2 tip glassing of the fins. The motor that was selected for duty was the smallest M available.
Redundant PerfectFlite MAWD's were used as the electronics package, and a Walston Tracker was added to aid with the recovery.

Once again the rocket was shipped to my contact in Florida, and I arrived in Florida for the 2008 Winternationals.
The rocket was inspected by the TAP's and much discussion was had on the logistics to get to that point.
An Aerotech M1297W was prepped for the duty, the electronics and recovery systems were prepped, rocket Inspected by the RSO and set on the pad.

All was ready......The butterflies were released, approximately the same time as the LCO started the announcement.....the buttons was pushed and the rocket scorched upwards to around 11,600ft. It deployed the drogue at apogee as intended, and the 72" main came out nicely at 1,100ft.
The rocket landed maybe 3/4 mile from the pads. It wasn't at all hard to find on the luscious green turf of the Roth Farms site.

I have made some great friends, while traveling to the US to fly rockets, and have met some truly wonderful people, and there are far too many to name, but I'm sure they all know who they are, I have had the pleasure of flying at LDRS in a "Crazy Jims AMW M2200 Skidmark Drag Race" in Argonia.
I have many very fond memories of my times in the US.

I often read on forums about how different folks have certed, and wondered if my story is somewhat unique...I believe it is!
If I stated how much it has cost to do these flights, many of the readers of this forum would cringe in sheer terror, but I can say it was significant!

But, I wouldn't change a thing!

You traveled a long way for your certs, are you at least TAP now so others don't have to do the same thing?

While I didn't have to travel so far (Black Rock is relativly close, including the 300 mile back track to get there if you don't take the Sulfur mine cutoff from Winnamuca) my paper work went the extra mile:rolleyes:

It started in Boise, ID then went to Jim Cornwall in AZ, Jim gave it to Mark Clark also in AZ. He couldn't make it to Blackrock that year so he sent it on to Karl Baumann in Cali who didn't get it in time to take with him to Blackrock. Karl witnessed the flight and said he'd get the paperwork right back to me. He did, unsigned:p I sent it back to be signed. I waited a while, no paper work. Tried to contact Karl and couldn't, got ahold of a member of his prefecture who said Karl was moving! So, I finally got to talk to him on the phone, he said he signed it as soon as he got it. Oh NOOO lost in the mail. Then Karl remembered there was a mail truck that wrecked and caught on FIRE!!!

I was in the process of getting new paper work that would have to be resigned on all SIX cert lines (1 for 1st, 2 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd) when I went out to the mail box and there was a plastic bag mailer from the post office with an apology written on it, in it was my scorched along the top edge, waterlogged, mildewed paperwork!! Bruce Kelly said he framed it and hung it on his wall as the example of the worse looking cert paper work he'd ever received!

At least it made it there:D

L1
Rocket: Mountainside Hobbies V2
Motor: Aerotech H128
Recovery: Motor ejection

L2
Rocket: PML Endeavour
Motor: Kosdon J450
Recovery: Alts2s duel deploy

L3
Rocket: Scratch built 4"
Motor: Contrail M2281 Hybrid
Recovery: ARTS & Missleworks RCC2

Last edited:
Level 1, June 1991.

HPR certification was still pretty new then, so at that time the certification requirement the was to fly a “G” flight, to certify for the equivalent of Level 1. That might sound strange now, but then it is sort of odd now that you get to buy and fly an H engine, in order to certify to be able to buy and fly an H engine. So you might see the logic in why it was that way at first (plus it made it easier to get people HPR certed when the number of HPR certified fliers was very small and needed to grow quickly).

I decided to do something unique since I was planning to build a 7” Diameter, 4 foot tall Little Joe-II mostly out of .020” plastic, with the capability of flying on an H45 and six D12’s. I killed two birds with one stone, made a poster paper boilerplate, and flew it on a G25 and six C6’s, which also served as my Level 1 flight. Only the G25 part of it counted for the Cert, the clustered C6’s were not counted - they were just “extras”. It flew great. I later built the “real” model, and it flew nicely on the same engines, twice. The third time, the G25 did not light, but the six C6’s (like a 60 N-sec F36) took it up a hundred feet or so, then it crashed into the ground. Destroying most of it, though I still have the main body so it might get rebuilt someday. The photo below (by Vince Huegele) is of the boilerplate launch (the outer 6 engines were canted somewhat, like the real LJ-II's had). I have no photos of the follow-on "real" 7" model before the crash.

I have not done a project since then that has involved the need for an HPR engine. But I have had a few occasions when I flew staged or clustered models that had more than 125 grams of propellant, so those technically were “HPR” flights where my L1 cert was necessary.

I figure I’ll do L2 some day. But not for the sake of just doing L2, it’ll be for a project that I’ll want to use J or K power in.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
My Level 1 Sprint '08...
Rocket: BSD 38 Special
Motor: CTI 38mm H153
Altitude: RockSim suggested about 3,000' - maybe closer to 2500 - no electronics, this time.

The "plan" had been to attend an advanced rocketry teacher training program at Texas Tech's Engineering School over the summer - the last time they held the course, a grant covered the cost - 6 days in the dorms, $85 meal debit cards good on any on-campus food establishment, the course, and a PML 1/4 Patriot with a Cessaroni H153 motor and a year's membership in TRA, plus the TRA Level 1 certification. The out-of-pocket expense for the teacher: $50. Not bad.

Unfortunately they cancelled the workshop due to lack of participants. :(

Luckily, I had been building a BSD 38 Special as my certification backup - and it was ready to fly in April when we went down to McGregor, Texas (next to the Space-X engine test facility) and was able to certify with the folks from DARS.

I'm planning to attempt my Level 2 this spring/summer - with a Binder Samurai converted to dual deployment. Have got everything needed except the time to put things together.

Support your local teachers - for Christmas, buy them a clock with 30 hours a day!

Tripoli Confirmation flight:

February 1988
Lucerne, CA
Winterfest 88
LOC/Precision Magnum
AeroTech I140-8
Altitude 2200 ft.
Rocket was recovered undamaged :)

LOC Magnum, Lucerne CA.jpg

Back