Dr. Zooch Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U812

Reaction score
After being out of model rockets for over 20 years I started life again with a Dr. Zooch Redstone. It was a great build and a nice kit.

I've been a professional modeler in movie visual effects for 30 years or more. Designed and produced my own RC jet kits and RC submarines. But it was pure joy to spend the three day weekend building this little model. Great job Dr. Zooch!

The only thing I changed about it was the paper wraps. I used the PDF upgrades for the Estes. All I did was resize them and wrapped them on.

Haven't flown her yet. I live in California and we are so restricted out here we are lucky to fly legally twice a month. I'm hoping for October 3rd. I'll be sure to get video.

Here's some pictures of the final outcome.

Enjoy,

Steve Neill

P.S. As I am a new member here you can catch up on my BKG here: www.sneillfx.com

29.jpg

33.jpg

32.jpg

30.jpg

Wow, great pics! The first one looks very much like the real thing. I guess I'll have to dig out my kit and move it up towards the front of the build pile. :)

He's done a lot of extra touches there...

U812 can you give us the details on your stunning details- Looks way better than mine!

Very nice work. Your professional skills show in the construction of that kit. Good luck with the flight.

--- Ron

Thanks Ron and N.

And the good Doctor. You can find more on the build of your great model at this location. I should copy it over to here when I can get the time.

https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=5825

But I really didn't do anything fancy at all. Just built as per your great and fun instructions. All I did was find the Estes upgraded graphics someone posted on the net and scaled them to fit. I just used heavy weight paper and 3M77 and a steady hand. Sealed the edges with white glue and used Crystal Clear Krylon on the paper to seal it and give it a bit of a shine.

I looked forward to building another Ant mobile soon.

Thanks again everyone,

Steve

Steve,

Beautiful build! Welcome to the Rocketry Forum. Don't know if you remember me, but we worked together about a million years ago at Kevin Brennan's MAX-FX on "Dunston Checks In" (I think) and a couple of Charles Band pix. At some point, I'm sure you'll run into Roy Knyrim (SOTA FX) at one of the CA launches. I left to raise kids out of CA a few years back, and have been working with Bob Kurtzman at Precinct 13 Entertainment (www.p13entertainment.com) since then, as well as fill out time teaching in the Tom Savini Special Makeup Effects Program at the Douglas Education Center. Please don't spit on me.

You made a good choice with the Dr Zooch kits. They are some of my favorites.... reviews I did for them can be seen at https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/zooch_apollo_5_saturn_1b.shtml

and https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/zooch_luna.shtml

I have a number more that I haven't built yet, but am looking forward to.

Best to you,

Alan "Big Al" Tuskes

Hey Alan I do remember you. And I know all the names you mentioned and I did hear from Roy already.

I'm glad to hear your still working. I haven't worked for a long while now. The town is just dead for me. I've been in and out of small jobs for the History Channel and others doing mostly CGI. But that's all being shipped out to Baliwood these days.

With all this time on my hands I did RC Jets kits, RC Submarines and boats but with all the overseas models being made I couldn't compete. So I bailed on all that too. Besides laying up all those GRP fuses and hulls was hard work.

I am making my own Rocket kit though. And plan and few others. And parts. Since I know how to make good masters and molds I figure it's worth a try. Can't get a job? Make your own. That's what the boot straps are for. ;)

Here's the first kit I hope. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=6087

I plan to build a few of the Ant fleet. I love this guys stuff. Especially being a scale nut.

Tell Kurtzmen I said hi! And I'm glad you hear you are doing well!

Steve

Back