AT Metalstorm vs Dark Matter - difference?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emckee

Reaction score
Thought this would have been discussed, but haven't been able to find any threads on it. Very possible my search skills aren't that great, however, so forgive me if this has been hashed out:

Is there any significant difference between AT Metalstorm and AT Dark Matter reloads? Both are sparky, sure, but neither are covered in the AT catalog. Is one "sparkier"? Maybe higher specific impulse? There must be some differentiation, else why would AT continue both lines?

I'd appreciate anything you all can do to enlighten me on the subject. Pictures (particularly side by side comparison) would also be appreciated.

Planning my engine usage for the year...
Erik

Metalstorm is white, dark matter is black - that's about it.

Metalstorm is like White Lightning plus sparks, Dark Matter is like Black Jack plus sparks.

Dark Matter is better during the day, and Metalstorm is better during night flights.

Also it seems to me that the metalstorm sparks are finer and less reach the ground then with Skidmarks and Dark Matter reloads.

Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks everyone!
Erik

Here is a shot of my Phoenix lighting off on an H178 Dark Matter. I usually use this rocket/motor combination as my first launch of the day at club launches.

I haven't used any metalstorm motors yet, but I have a few on order. :cool:

phoenix1.jpg

Back