Quest Igniters lighting early with the Estes Electron Beam controller?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henry8minus1

Reaction score
Recently, I helped a scout group launch some rockets. We had purchased bulk packs of motors from Quest with the new Q2G2 igniters. We had multiple pads going, but one had the standard Estes Electron Beam launcher from a starter set. Both times we tried to use this, the motor ignited as soon as we pushed the safety pin in. I was embarrassed because both times the LCO hadn't even started the count down yet. We stopped using this pad and controller for the rest of the launch because I thought there had to be something wrong with the controller, but afterwards I thought that maybe the continuity current from this launcher is high enough to light these igniters?

Has anyone else had a similar experience or insight to this matter?

Yes the new Q2G2 are very low current igniters and you must check your system to see if the continuity sets them off!

Recently, I helped a scout group launch some rockets. We had purchased bulk packs of motors from Quest with the new Q2G2 igniters. We had multiple pads going, but one had the standard Estes Electron Beam launcher from a starter set. Both times we tried to use this, the motor ignited as soon as we pushed the safety pin in. I was embarrassed because both times the LCO hadn't even started the count down yet. We stopped using this pad and controller for the rest of the launch because I thought there had to be something wrong with the controller, but afterwards I thought that maybe the continuity current from this launcher is high enough to light these igniters?

Henry
At the bottom of the Quest Q2g2 Igniters package on the back it say's.

WARNING! If using another brand of launch controller,always TEST the igniter to be sure they are continuity safe. These igniters may be actuated when the safety key is inserted in other types of controllers.

I called Doug Pratt ( Pratt Hobbies ) about the 6pack launch controler we use for our club launches with this same concern . Doug assured me there would be no problem. 1/17/09 we launched 30+ rockets 95% of those launches used the Q2g2 Igniter with 100% reliability. In your case you will need to replace the bulb in the estes controller.
I'm not sure what you will need size /type but I'm sure there are people here that will have the answer for you.

Welcome to TRF.

BAR
John

Last edited:
This is a case where reading the instruction sheet before use is important.

"DESIGNED FOR USE WITH THE QUEST 9V LAUNCH CONTROLLER - Please note that since they (the Quest Q2 igniters) are very low current igniters (120ma fire current), some model rocket launch controllers can set them off during continuity tests. Be sure to test your model rocket launch controller, by connecting an igniter to your controller before inserting it into the model rocket engine (motor) to make sure it does not prematurely activate when you insert your safety key and/or when you perform a continuity check."

from https://www.questaerospace.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=7024&eq=&Tp=

Estes igniters have an all-fire rating of 2 amps (page 12 in https://www.esteseducator.com/Pdf_files/1924_launch.pdf) so even though the continuity lamp in the Estes launcher draws ~0.25 amps (page 9 in https://www.esteseducator.com/Pdf_files/Tech Manual.pdf) , the continuity current is a factor of 8 below the all-fire rating of the Estes igniter. Unfortunately for folks using Quest igniters with an Estes launcher, the Estes launcher continuity current is a factor of 2 ABOVE the all-fire rating of the Quest Q2 igniter and your motor will light the moment you activate the safety pin to check continuity as you found out the hard way...

The Quest launcher uses an LED in series with a low current piezo buzzer to detect continuity. This design typically draws 10-20 ma which is a factor of 6-12 more below the rated 0.12 A all-fire current of the Quest Q2 igniter, so you have to be careful using the Quest Q2 igniter with non-Quest launchers.

Bob

Thanks for the responses. I feel silly now since I skimmed the instruction sheet, but didn't see the warning. I did really like the Quest motors and igniters, and the boys had a good time.

does this mean the Q2G2s are good for clustering? seems like most launch controllers are underpowered by current. has anyone tried clustering Q2G2s?

does this mean the Q2G2s are good for clustering? seems like most launch controllers are underpowered by current. has anyone tried clustering Q2G2s?

YES, they are IDEAL for clustering. I had some at NARAM 50 and I handed 3 to Lynell Jackson who used them in her TIme Twister. I have since seen her use them locally in clusters and I have personally installed them in other people's cluster models to show them how it's done.

BEST IGNITER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone tried launching a cluster powered rocket with Q2C2 igniters and a Quest launch controller?

Rocketron
NAR # 31475

Has anyone tried launching a cluster powered rocket with Q2C2 igniters and a Quest launch controller?

Rocketron
NAR # 31475

Yes, but with the EBC (External Battery Connector) and a lantern battery. Worked perfect with instant ignition.

There is absolutely no reason to risk a cluster rocket on one 9 volt battery or 4 AA batteries.

"DESIGNED FOR USE WITH THE QUEST 9V LAUNCH CONTROLLER - Please note that since they (the Quest Q2 igniters) are very low current igniters (120ma fire current), some model rocket launch controllers can set them off during continuity tests.
This current is even lower than most e-matches. Hope Quest will sell them in bulk :)

James Duffy used the Quest Ignitors for his Little Joe-I model at the S7 (scale) World Cup Event held at the 2008 WSMC in Spain.