Fly'in Food...(odd-Rocs)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well we have Creature Features...we should also show those Flyin Food Odd-Rocs as well.
It was these reused containers that first got me interested in making slightly Goofy things go air borne.

To be honest I believe my very First original Odd-Roc as a Salad dressing bottle.
Dijon Vinaigreete La Zoom-zoom was born from a "Lite" Wishbone plastic bottle a little .063" Polycabonate and 18mm body tubing. Add a Kevlar/elastic shockcord and 18" plastic chute it still graces the skys on special occasions even today.

087-c4-sm_Dijon Vinaigrette La Zoom Zoom lift-off 2pic_03-16-91.jpg

Everyone who knows me understands I have to keep the blood count down in my caffeine system... so it's only natural one of my favorite flying Food type Odd-Rocs is called "Coffee, Cream and Sweetner" D12 powered it's a great flying Odd-Roc and the Plastic spoons induce a very nice spin on the way up:)

190a-sm_CoffeeCream&Sugar_08-15-96.jpg

190b3_CoffeeCream&Sugar 3 pic flt pg_07-97.jpg

John,
I gotta know...How do you manage to be such a prolific builder? What kind of work and/or home life do you have that permits so much time in the workshop? I am both amazed and envious!:clap:

John,
I gotta know...How do you manage to be such a prolific builder? What kind of work and/or home life do you have that permits so much time in the workshop? I am both amazed and envious!:clap:

LOL! thanks LW:
That's easy...Involve the entire family:) All three kids and better 2/3rds (caus she's WAY better then half) are very important parts of my life..no matter what the activity. Scouting (both Boy & Girl) Ceramics..better 2/3rd first love) and Rocketry my passion, Son and youngest daughter really took to Mod-Rocs...3 of 4 Grandsons as well..forth is only 16months old..but is a Nar member already LOL!!! We all make time to help in each others "outside" activities as well: Work (Estimator/Project manager for a major Electric Sign company), Museum model restoration/building volunteering, School(s), Football(Grandkids now), Camping, Fishing and Music:) busy yes... but what else is there...TV?
When you've been doing a thing for over 40 years ya tend to have a few examples in the stable laying around;)

Speaking of things laying around!
Flyin Food thingy's...some are call "bottle rockets" converted soda, drink and such bottles. My first was Pepsi Flight...or Fright depending on were your standing, then I discovered Dr. Rocket from K-mart...which just had to fly.

Fly'in food doesn't have to be restricted to standard size motors either. MMX can be used individually or in clusters to loft smaller bottle rockets:)

270a1-sm_MM Strawberry Bottle Odd-Roc_11-03-01.jpg

Last edited:
The Whole Enchilada. Mostly tortillas and a jalepeno pepper. painted with taco sauce.

whole_enchilada_prog_2s.jpg

whole_enchilada_prog_1s.jpg

whole_enchilada_complsmall.jpg

enchilada_launch.jpg

My daughter vacationed in the Greek Islands, she brought us home some olive oil. The package it came in made for a pretty cool rocket.

Kalamata2.jpg

I've shown actual food, a food container roc, so I guess fake food is next...First Flight's Corn Roc.

sky_rangers_corn_roc.jpg

Didn't really consider this one an odd-Roc until Tom Lyon tagged it as such. Always thought of this one as All natural materials..not quite food but close enough I think??

It's completely a Middletown Maryland Cornstalk. Root bunch as drag fins, tapered upper end of the stalk used as "nosecone shoulder". Hollow root pieces as launch lugs. Flys on 13mm motors. Did add a Paper & plastic bag chute and kevlar Lariet loop shockcord.

OH Man! Dick Gotta love the enchilada...What a HOOT!
I've been toying with some real decorative Corn ears for awhile but haven't had the heart to try actually launching one. your rubber corn may be the answer to that problem LOL!

Chris's Hot-Dog and bun are outstanding! Now we're getting some of the good stuff:)

Last edited:
John, the cord stalk IS close enough. If nothing else, it can be silage for cows which are food for me :)

When you've been doing a thing for over 40 years ya tend to have a few examples in the stable laying around;)

Micro buddy, I'm sure I speak for everyone else here that I sure would like to see a gallery of all your work on TRF. How about a micromeister museum page? All those in favor???

Heck, No!!!! It'll clog the server. It's not big enough for Micro...errrr...Mr. All Things Rocketry

Micro buddy, I'm sure I speak for everyone else here that I sure would like to see a gallery of all your work on TRF. How about a micromeister museum page? All those in favor???

Jeff:
The Micro Maxx Gallery is already set up, I believe it has all but the 3 or 4 Micro models i'm currently building.

As Mark-II already mentioned, to get ALL the models in a single photo i'd have to stand back far enough that most of the individual models would be very hard to see.
If you mean ALL my work Micro, LPR and MPR than the micros surely couldn't be seen as much more then some color dots.
Here are a couple OLD shots of the "Fleet" spread through the entire house and Shed. I've more then doubled the Micro Fleet currently and added several Standard size. PMC & Clustered models as well.
Sorry but the McCoy Fleet is just to large to get in a single frame LOL!!!! Besides I really don't want the better 2/3rd to really know How many there are and exactly where they reside;)
ps a recent Traveling Micro Show setup added...Darn these should be in the Fleets thread!

Completed model-a_in house 9 pic pg_06-28-04.jpg

Rocket Shed-e_4 pic Trip around MR Shed_03-20-04.jpg

MM Fleet-a2_79 models (No RTF)_03-18-04.jpg

MMX 18x30 Traveling Display-c1_63+ Models_07-29-11.jpg

MMX 18x30 Travel exhibit box Left side Front_07-29-11.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff:
The Micro Maxx Gallery is already set up, I believe it has all but the 3 or 4 Micro models i'm currently building.

Man, do I appreciate that!!!! Once I clean the saliva off my keyboard, I can really take in the photos. I AM SPEECHLESS. Do you realize you could charge admission to your garage? I would pay. Incredible work, just incredible, thanks for sharing

Sorry for getting so far off topic....Lets get back to Flying food! or at least the condiments used on foods LOL!

Just to spice things up a tiny bit. heres an old party salt & pepper shaker Odd-Roc.
As is normally my bent, I used clear Polycarbonate fins and adapted the flat shaker top as nose with shoulder and shockcord / chute attached inside. Flat nose models are very draggy but hey....Odd-Rocs really aren't performance models in the first place.
speaking of performance.. this little odd-roc is a little decieving as it's a 2motor, 13mm cluster just for fun.
With a pair a A10-3T's it SCREAMS off the pad and almost out of sight before the little 12" plastic chute pops bringing it back nice and slow. Sorry the only liftoffs I've caught have been smoke trails so no flight picks of this one but it does fly very well.

Last edited:
Here's one that can cross-over to another themed gallery. (Do we have one yet?)

Double Whisky: blatant Fliskits rip-off/tribute, Deuces Wild style canted twin mount in a tube which formerly held a bottle of whisky. The mark of a true rocket builder - buy an expensive body tube, get a bottle of malt whisky free. :)

Recaffeinator: ditto, but now with tubes which formerly held coffee. I made a deal with my sister, who likes flavoured coffee - she got the coffee for Christmas, I got the empty tubes back. You're looking at the result of a mutually beneficial deal. :D

Both go nicely on a pair of B6-4's and really go on a pair of C6-5's.

Incidental story related to Double Whisky: the name "Glenmorangie", according to the makers, translates to "Glen of tranquility", and they ran some TV adverts based on that theme. The distillery for Glenmorangie is located in Tain, not far from an RAF bombing range - so much for "tranquility". :)

doublewhisky.jpg

398recaffeinator_small.jpg

Double Whisky: blatant Fliskits rip-off/tribute, Deuces Wild style canted twin mount in a tube which formerly held a bottle of whisky. The mark of a true rocket builder - buy an expensive body tube, get a bottle of malt whisky free. :)

Cool. I have a big stash of them :) (hic) So far, the only ones I've used have been painted over, so I guess the don't count in this thread. Nah, I posted them anyway. The stubby one is called Deanston Marauder and the other is the Tarkus II. The latter used a Highland Park 'tube' for its aft end.

deansont_90pct.jpg

tarkus ii dot i 002.jpg

Back