Hurricane's eye and the Dr. Zooch Titan IIIC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Zooch

Reaction score
At the moment (and this can all change of course) the eye of the hurricane is set to pass over Dr. Zooch Rockets headquarters. Since we will likely be "Marooned" here, I'm building one of my Titan IIICs with a white nosecone... to launch into the eye of the hurricane, of course.

Watch the storm folks- (The numbers Mr. Keith, the numbers!") if the eye passes over Chesapeake Bay south of Annapolis, although our power will already be out- I will be firing the coolest launch in model rocket geekdom. A Titan IIIC, into the eye of a Hurricane (of course a tropical storm will do too :wink: ) Been wantin' to do that since I was 12 and saw the movie Marooned.

Ill be looking for your storm chaser video of this event on the Weather Channel. :D All kidding aside, I hope you all will make it thru this storm and come out safe and sound.They are talking more about the flood damage from this up here in NH and VT. Also, a cat 1 or even a tropical storm up here is like a 3 down south cuz of the dif in trography of the land. You take wind and squeeze it in between mountains,hills and it get stronger.More chances of down drafts and all kinds of dif wind and water scenarios. We have swift running rivers and streams that can take out everything in thier path when flooded. Who knows, we may end up with nothing more than what we would get from a good Noreaster.

Ill be looking for your storm chaser video of this event on the Weather Channel. :D All kidding aside, I hope you all will make it thru this storm and come out safe and sound.They are talking more about the flood damage from this up here in NH and VT. Also, a cat 1 or even a tropical storm up here is like a 3 down south cuz of the dif in trography of the land. You take wind and squeeze it in between mountains,hills and it get stronger.More chances of down drafts and all kinds of dif wind and water scenarios. We have swift running rivers and streams that can take out everything in thier path when flooded. Who knows, we may end up with nothing more than what we would get from a good Noreaster.
All our local weatherman is predicting is a rather wet Sunday.

Marooned was one of the first movies (other than a matinee) that I went to see on my own when I was a kid. It was just a few months after I saw 2001.

Last edited:
All our local weatherman is predicting is a rather wet Sunday.

Marooned was one of the first movies (other than a matinee) that I went to see on my own when I was a kid. It was just a few months after I saw 2001.

HA! Gotta love it! Marooned was, in fact, THE first movie that I ever saw on my own! We have something in common.

When I was designing the kit I did a lot of research- and that included running down lots of "Marooned" stuff. I even bought a Marooned movie release book off of e-bay.

Hope yall come through everything ok... didn't realize that this thing was aimed right at yall. Course I haven't been watching much news lately (hardly ever, matter of fact). No news is good news... LOL:)

Question-- will the Titan IIIC have a tiny red lifting body on top?? :D

Tell Gene Hackman to quit being a squirming hatch blower will ya! LOL:)

Later! OL JR :)

At the moment (and this can all change of course) the eye of the hurricane is set to pass over Dr. Zooch Rockets headquarters. Since we will likely be "Marooned" here, I'm building one of my Titan IIICs with a white nosecone... to launch into the eye of the hurricane, of course.

Watch the storm folks- (The numbers Mr. Keith, the numbers!") if the eye passes over Chesapeake Bay south of Annapolis, although our power will already be out- I will be firing the coolest launch in model rocket geekdom. A Titan IIIC, into the eye of a Hurricane (of course a tropical storm will do too :wink: ) Been wantin' to do that since I was 12 and saw the movie Marooned.

I love it!:clap::clap:

Be careful.

And it will be a night launch! Irene doesn't seem to have a very well-defined eye so you might have to violate the safety code...but an errant modroc will be the least of your neighbor's worries. Stay safe!

Eye of the storm drifted eastward- no eye launch for me it appears.

Can't say I'm sorry. I would rather have my roof than my launch anyhow.

Expect power to be out for a few days starting sometime tomorrow.

C-ya when the lights come back folks.

Hope ya have one of those key chain cams to tape onto the rocket!
And put sompum inta the air that gets up inta the eye, aye? Not that'd be a site for the 10k win on the home vids show!
Specially if ya see ya'll roof blowen off durin flight?
Seriously, be prepared, take care of the loved ones, and hope you weather well.

Hope ya have one of those key chain cams to tape onto the rocket!
And put sompum inta the air that gets up inta the eye, aye? Not that'd be a site for the 10k win on the home vids show!
Specially if ya see ya'll roof blowen off durin flight?
Seriously, be prepared, take care of the loved ones, and hope you weather well.

In the eye of the hurricane the wind is perfectly still... it's the eyewall that is the most instense winds of the storm, usually in the northeast quadrant where the forward motion speed is added to the wind speed, versus the southwest quadrant where the forward speed is subtracted from the windspeed...

Not safe to be out until the eye is directly overhead, and not for very long then, because the southerly eye wall quickly approaches and the wind reverses and blows from the west (it blows from the east on the north side of the eye.)

later! OL JR :)

PS. Be careful Wes... powerlines and trees and all that... no fun!

Power went out here at 8:48 Saturday. We just got it back on this evening (Wednesday).

Our house made it through the storm without a scratch and without a leak. No flooding in our area, but tons of big trees down- way more than with most tropical storms or hurricanes. No Zooch storck was damaged, but our postal service had been without power as well (need I say more?) Still we are picking up the pieces around here. The winds picked up around 3pm Saturday and peaked from 8pm until 1:50 am. They blew a sustained 50-55 gusts to 65-70 from the E/NE then suddenly at 1:50 am Sunday, they shifted to N/NW and the strong gusts simply stopped. Viz went up at that same moment from about 1/2 to about 8 miles and the winds then died to the 30s.

We're all Okay. ALL Zooch orders will be delayed for a while, however.

One cool note- at 4:55 in the afternoon as the storm was growing rapidly and spitting horizontal rain... FedEx Ground delivered a parts order to me from BMS! Now how's that for service?! Delivery durring a hurricane!

Power went out here at 8:48 Saturday. We just got it back on this evening (Wednesday).

Our house made it through the storm without a scratch and without a leak. No flooding in our area, but tons of big trees down- way more than with most tropical storms or hurricanes. No Zooch storck was damaged, but our postal service had been without power as well (need I say more?) Still we are picking up the pieces around here. The winds picked up around 3pm Saturday and peaked from 8pm until 1:50 am. They blew a sustained 50-55 gusts to 65-70 from the E/NE then suddenly at 1:50 am Sunday, they shifted to N/NW and the strong gusts simply stopped. Viz went up at that same moment from about 1/2 to about 8 miles and the winds then died to the 30s.

We're all Okay. ALL Zooch orders will be delayed for a while, however.

One cool note- at 4:55 in the afternoon as the storm was growing rapidly and spitting horizontal rain... FedEx Ground delivered a parts order to me from BMS! Now how's that for service?! Delivery durring a hurricane!

With the sudden clearing and later windshift, sounds like the eye went over yall all right... did you send up the Titan IIIC?? :D

Not the eye- it was the outer edge

Oh... the way you described it sounded like the eye... had a similar discussion about camera rockets through a hurricane eye to extreme altitude over on RP...

Better for you that the only thing yall got was the outer bands...

Hope we get some outer bands this weekend... PRAYING for it!

Back