BaddAzz Rocketry' MYZZTIC Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'mmmm BaaaaaaaaaCK!

Let's start at he centering ring!
Second Verse same as the first!
Reposting for the new guys!

Let's get the center ring ready for this Badd Boyy!

Here's a shot of Tailcone-Retainer and Ctr Ring.
Note the three hole in Ctr Ring. This is where we'll attach the Kevlar!!

530 - Copy.jpg

531 - Copy.jpg

Yes I know same shots!

Don't fret
Don't sweat
Just buy it
Fly it
And you won't Regret it!
I'm in a mood this morning!:D

First we need to prep the Kevlar.

Apply a drop of medium CA to the frayed end.
Using back of pliers roll this into the fibers.

532 - Copy.jpg

533 - Copy.jpg

534 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
In the series you'll see I've drawn a reference line on cut surface to show you the acute angle cut I want you to make on the Kevlar. This will make the kevlar act as a needle.

Go ahead and thread Kevlar through first hole.

535 - Copy.jpg

536 - Copy.jpg

537 - Copy.jpg

Time to weave the kevlar!

Weave Kevlar in and out of holes, tie a simple overhand knot in the bitter end.

DO NOT ZIG WHEN YOU SHOULD ZAG!!!

538 - Copy.jpg

539 - Copy.jpg

542 - Copy.jpg

Next, Let's install the ctr ring.

Knotted end at back, elastic to the front.

Take a dowel and form a short truncated cone on the end.
Look closely at ctr ring , There are two hole patterns.
Both start from a hole at zero degrees.
You want to use the 120 degree pattern as this rocket has three BaddAzz
Tube fins.

Drop a needle or a wire through forward hole in frame all the way through other side. This will act as a stop.

Using the dowel align the zero hole with any hole at back of frame. Press ctr ring forward until you stop against pin.

Remove Pin and press forward 1/8". You should see hole, If not turn dowel gently to locate hole. When you see it, stop, check other holes for alignment.

Install six the 2-56 x 1/4 screws through the fins and into center ring and retainer.

dowel.jpg

079.JPG

081.JPG

080.JPG

083.JPG

Last edited:
After installing fins you should have this.
I've already secured rocket for next step:

What do you think so Far?? Pretty easy rite??

084.JPG

Last edited:
Sand lightly all external cotanget intersections of tube fin and Rocket body.
Then clean again with pvc Cleaner.

Next using a sharp bamboo skewer for a small amout of PVC ement into intersection. The idea is to bond the tube fin, NOT creat a fillet.
Wipe off excess PVC cement with shop cloth.

Mark each finished joint with a sharpie as this is hard to see and you will not loose your place.
Wait a couple of minutes before starting the next joint.
Do all six sides.

085.JPG

086.JPG

087.jpg

Time to weave the kevlar!

Weave Kevlar in and out of holes, tie a simple overhand knot in the bitter end.

DO NOT ZIG WHEN YOU SHOULD ZAG!!!

Are the edges of the holes the kevlar passes thru rounded off?

Sorry for the Down time on this build. I've redesigned the Bulkhead for the LED SYSTEM. First part of machining is done, Finish tommorow and get back to build By Weekend.

PAYPAL IS UP!

The DefenderMkII ready for shipment, Also the Drop Dead Gourgeous MZZTIC!!!

Adding the ZZTARFIRE and DassBlitzkrieg Later this Morning!!

Still working on the details of MiZZ Rhonda!

Shhh, don't tell my wife, but I just ordered one of these and one of the Blitzkrieg kits(Is this a Metallica reference or the Nazi war machine, whatever, cool name and cool rocket). I will be hopefully using it for my L2 flight in the fall. I will be sure to crank up the RUSH while building your kits. I liked your comment about them in this or one of your other threads. I forget, I have been following them all. I too have to agree, they are the $---. My wife took me to see them earlier this year for my Birthday, always an awesome show. Have a good one. Can't wait to get the package.
Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the order and interest.

Blitzkrieg means Lightning war, The Metallica reference also came to mind!

I envisioned a field full of these taking the sky on sparkies and thought of a Blitzkrieg!:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Last edited:
Let's get to it!

Here is a shot of the Nosecone componets.

Nose cone
Lightly sanded with 500 grit to maximize light diffusion.
6061 Bulkhead with 2-56 Socket head cap screw
Short piece of kevlar.
Button LED, Turn on prior to Launch. :bangpan: I know, but I had to say it!

This design eliminates epoxy to retain Bulkhead and at the same time is secures the Led.

100_1747.JPG

100_1748.JPG

Run Kevlar through Holes in Bulkhead,
slip prepared chute and swivel onto kevlar string.

Knot this to the outside of Nose cone.
THIS IS IMPORTANT
If you knot to the inside the LED will not seat correctly.

Notice the LED goes in as shown!!!

Align threaded hole in bulkhead with small peripheral hole in Nose cone.
Hold Vertical and press down firmly.
Install 2-56 Socket head cap screw.

This will come apart, remove screw and use channel locks to twist apart.
I wanted this to be a very firm fit.

100_1749.JPG

100_1751.JPG

100_1752.JPG

100_1753.JPG

Here is the LED BAR for the rest of the Light show!

Remove screw on battery compartment, NOTE POLARITY!!
Carefully remove Batteries.
Tape these together with Scotch Tape.

Now split plastic case open with pocket knife.
Lift out LED strip. Return batteries back into position and tape them in place with scotch tape. I could not find mine so I used Electric tape. I almost over built the tape. Reinstall strip back into Diffuser Tube.

Reinstall battery cover with small screw.
Wrap the cover with Electric tape.
Add another wrap between the last two Leds.
Remove lanyard wire and replace with a new wire (paper clip is fine)
Twist together.

Pass elastic shock cord through your new wire and form a loop.
Pass this through Kevlar on nosecone and slip it over Nosecone.

Add plug of Dog barf, Drop in LED bar, last the chute. Stuff a motor in aft end and enjoy the Flight!

100_1754.JPG

100_1755.JPG

100_1756.JPG

100_1757.JPG

Last edited:
So does the MYZZTIC come with LEDs? Or a recommended setup? Thx... very interesting build. :pop:

Yes Sir Jeff!
All of my kit are complete!!
You add epoxy and time and in this case a paper clip!

Thank you for your interest !!
Please watch video of this system on my website!

Thanks

Eric Foster

Wow, That look like fun!

Got my Daughters a Meaade StarNavigator 102 for christmas!!

We still have not tried it. Hopefully we will soon.;)

Peace Love and Happiness

Eric Foster

Just built mine (took about 20 minutes, as I haven't cemented yet).

A few comments and questions;

First, what a fantastic deal, and a great piece of engineering. After building a Hanagar 11 Pro-line kit which is also a no-glue, all mechanical fit, i've become a big fan.

a few questions:

1) I have extra parts :> specifically, two black, round collars with a flat side. No mention of them in the build.

2) What is the purpose of taking apart the LED diffuser , and putting it back together with electrical tape? I taped the batteries together, then added a bit of dog barf to the compartment before closing it up to ensure a snug fit that wouldn't come loose at ejection - was that the issue?

A few comments

1) make sure you use the LONG kevlar chord on the center ring :> not stated, but obvious if you read the whole thread first.

2) I didn't need to make the custom dowel to get the center ring in. Just used my fingers to push and rotate, and the kevlar string to pull without much difficulty.

3) Build thread forgot to mention you should thread the elastic strap through the nosecone Kevlar, AND the center ring threaded kevlar. Otherwise the rocket body will have a very quick return to earth without the nosecone, or lights.

4) The screws are very small. I'd find a source to buy a few extra - if one falls in the grass at a launch, you will have no hope in finding it.

Just built mine (took about 20 minutes, as I haven't cemented yet).

A few comments and questions;

First, what a fantastic deal, and a great piece of engineering. After building a Hanagar 11 Pro-line kit which is also a no-glue, all mechanical fit, i've become a big fan.

Alex,

Thank you for your kind words! I really am happy that you love your BaddAzz Kit!!! I hope when people see what you Guys (that have ordered) have to say , They will be more comfortable ordering from a New Guy!

Eric

a few questions:

1) I have extra parts :> specifically, two black, round collars with a flat side. No mention of them in the build.

:D , LUG's are correct Sir!

2) What is the purpose of taking apart the LED diffuser , and putting it back together with electrical tape? I taped the batteries together, then added a bit of dog barf to the compartment before closing it up to ensure a snug fit that wouldn't come loose at ejection - was that the issue?

The spring is the issue! It is the weakest link in the system. By taping batteries together and wrapping tape around PC board It is much more secure. USE SCOTCH TAPE !! ELECTRIC TAPE IS TO THICK!!!!!

A few comments

1) make sure you use the LONG kevlar chord on the center ring :> not stated, but obvious if you read the whole thread first.

True, I try not to state the obvious, lest it is misconsrtued as patronizing.

2) I didn't need to make the custom dowel to get the center ring in. Just used my fingers to push and rotate, and the kevlar string to pull without much difficulty.

Me too, but I thought this would be easier for some and it does work for all.
I really try to think what's best to achieve the desired outcome for everyone.
Plus, After 25+ years of cutting metal my hands are like leather. What may not be sharp to my finger may cut the guy who has normal hands.

3) Build thread forgot to mention you should thread the elastic strap through the nosecone Kevlar, AND the center ring threaded kevlar. Otherwise the rocket body will have a very quick return to earth without the nosecone, or lights.

See response to comment #1

4) The screws are very small. I'd find a source to buy a few extra - if one falls in the grass at a launch, you will have no hope in finding it.

McMasterCarr! 2-56 socket head cap screw SS 1/4" Long

Let me know if I can be of further assistance!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Peace, Love and Happiness

I flew a kit that I build without gluing the fins on. I just used the screws. I flew the rocket on a F-85-W from CTI. I will not reveal the height, but I will say it screamed off the pad and survived with out a problem. No damage. Very durable kit that is easy to build.

Lost on the motor size, types and delays. Looks like a 24mm but not sure of the type. Estes, CTI or Aero Tech. Could some one fill me in on this. Have a 24/40 AT case. Like CTI and the lazy one use motors.

Rocket1dog,

This is my fault I have not flown a lot of CTI 24's yet. I'd been flying a-tech.
The Roksims aren't up yet my web guru have been busy with his family and now he's sick. I know this is long over due.

F21w-8
F24w-7
G150BS-13
F35w-8
G84g-7

Hope this helps

Eric Foster

Thanks, so no Estes? 24-40 ATs. What length of a 24mm does the motor tube accept? Please let me know when you have the RockSim for this one. About how long does it take to get one?
Dose the light stick also get ejected?
thanks

Back