Dr Zooch Vostok

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
About a month ago, I decided to give my first Dr Zooch kit a try. So, of course, I decided to tangle with a Vostok. "Tangle with" is the right word -- this one is gonna be tricky to build!

I've got most of the core done -- next is adding the "spider beams".

My biggest challenge is the time I spent looking for a ghost pencil, before I gave up!

-Kevin

vos1.jpg

Vostok module, most of the way done -- the paint on the base of the nose cone is drying, so I can't glue it on, yet.

The hole looks worse that it really is -- a little bit of the flat black got on the edge of the hole, making it look really bad. Not that it's going to win any awards -- cutting those little holes isn't exactly easy. There's an art to it, I'm sure, and, well, I'm not an artist.

After cutting it, I soaked thin CA into the cardboard, then sanded it to clean up the edge a bit.

There's a wooden ball inside for the capsule -- paint it silver, paint in the side of the tube flat black, let it all dry, then glue it together.

-Kevin

vos2.jpg

Those four shrouds and "witches hats" are a bit of work!
Take your time, scan and print some extra copies.
I made many and picked the best ones to use on the Soyuz.

I did a build thread on this forum a year and a half back:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=5213&highlight=soyuz

The lower half is the same as your kit, so a lot of the thread should apply.

Looks great so far! I'm looking forward to following this build.

Warning! It may be akin to watching a train wreck happen... There are a whole lotta paper cones in this thing, and those are not a strong suit for me.

-Kevin

Lots of spare hats ....plenty of pictures and EDIT !!! It`ll make you look like a genius ;)

I look forward to your build Kevin.

Cheers

Paul T

About a month ago, I decided to give my first Dr Zooch kit a try. So, of course, I decided to tangle with a Vostok. "Tangle with" is the right word -- this one is gonna be tricky to build!

Is there an actual Vostok kit or are you kit bashing an R-7 kit?

Jonathan
-----
Jonathan Sivier
jsivier AT illinois DOT edu
NAR #56437 | Tripoli #1906
Home Page: https://www.sivier.me/

So, a bit more progress, and some perplexity....

First, the photographic evidence of progress...

Picture one is the capsule with nose installed. Capsule is a lovely silver, while inside the tube is a stunning flat black. Some people have that little black dress....I have that little black tube.

Next to the capsule are the spider beams. Second picture shows the spider beams glued in place.

Now, the spider beams seem a bit problematic. I mean, c'mon, we're talking ant scale here, with lots of ants in the area, yet we're using spider beams? What, did the spiders make a promise to not eat the ants, and to release them from their webs, if they get some props in the kit?

I know the witch's hat is coming; wondering when the Praying Mantis get get their time in the sun. Or, is that another kit?

-Kevin

vos3.jpg

vos4.jpg

Back