Here they are - Plans for the ACE Mini Allegro (3X18mm). A classic!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Blatz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Alright guys, me and green dragon have been talking about posting some "Vintage HPR" stuff so I thought I'd get the ball rolling with plans for one of my favorite old timers, the ACE Mini Allegro. There were apparently two versions of this rocket - one is built around a 1.9" body tube and 4X18mm motor mount tubes. The other is built around the LOC 1.5" body tube (and NC) and 3X18mm motor mount tubes. These plans are for the latter, smaller version. I bought mine back in 1992 from Gary and Sydney Price of High Sierra Rocketry, and it was old when I bought it. Since you probably won't find one of these laying around, here's how to make one.

Parts list -

18.5" LOC 1.5" body tube
3 @ BT-20 "tough tubes", about 17" long each (these are the motor mounts and lower airframe)
1.5" LOC Nosecone
1.5" LOC plywood bulkhead
3 fins, 3/32" plywood, pattern follows in OpenRocket format
18-24" parachute
Shock cord mount, shock cord
Launch lugs (the original came with 1/8" which is way too small, I would use 1/4")

1) Glue the three motor mount tubes together, symetrically and with all ends flush.
2) Take the plywood bulkhead and drill 3/8 diameter holes which will sit over the motor mount tubes and provide a gas seal so that the ejection charge won't blow out between the motor tubes. Glue this bulkhead to one end of the motor mount assembly.
3) Glue the bulkhead end of the motor assembly into the body tube. You will want to insert it about 6.5" into the tube, leaving approx 10.5" of motor mount tubes protruding from the end of the body tube.
4) It's fin time. Glue them into the valleys created by the motor tubes, about 3/8" up from the motor end. Use plenty of glue. I would use yellow wood glue throughout.
5) Add shock cord mount according to your preference. I would use the LOC style nylon cord with epoxy, and then tie off the shock cord to that. The original uses an 18" nylon parachute, which is enough because this thing is built like a tank.
6) Launch lugs. You can do this without my help.
7) Finish the tube valleys and fin joints with fillets of glue, and paint the rocket.

The finished rocket weighs about 9 oz, and I only fly mine on C6-3's or C6-5's using 1/2" masking tape for thrust rings and taping all three motors in place with a swath of 3/4" tape. I have used Estes and Quest motors, but recommend only the Estes motors since they have a higher average thrust and this thing is perty heavy.

This is my first time using OpenRocket, so the attached file does not show the fins being 3/8" from the end of the rocket. And I probably goofed up a few other things too, but you get the idea, and if you don't, email me.

Have fun! And let me know what you think!

View attachment AAA Mini Allegro.ork

Back