Pink Hornet scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I you like the dark grey, then you should go with the dark grey. It does look good, and it is different from OD's black & pink

It's not technically pink, it's satin magenta. But I like it a lot better than the fluorescent pink.

126.jpg

127.jpg

128.jpg

130.jpg

131.jpg

132.jpg

Not sure what happened here. I think the paint was a little too cold. It's not perfect painting weather today.

147.JPG

148.JPG

149.JPG

150.JPG

I warmed the paint up in some hot water, and it went on much better. I got nice paint lines from the Parma (Tamiya) tape, but had some problems with the newsprint and Gorilla delicate surface tape. After the paint has all cured for a few days, I'll mask the fins and do some touchup.

153.JPG

154.JPG

155.JPG

156.JPG

157.JPG

158.JPG

161.JPG

163.JPG

164.JPG

I really like this color combination, and I like the satin finish.

159.JPG

160.JPG

165.JPG

I fished the shock cord through the eyebolt in the forward bulkhead. I put in two screws to hold the nose cone. I set up the recovery harness. And finally,got the rail buttons reattached. He's ready to fly!

173.JPG

174.JPG

175.JPG

176.JPG

177.JPG

178.JPG

179.JPG

180.JPG

181.JPG

184.JPG

As usual, I pinned the fin blanks together to cut them at the same time, and match sand them. I rounded the leading edges, and also cut the 29mm motor tube to length.

Interesting. I do something a little similar when sanding down my scratch made fins except I use 2 sided carpet tape to hold all the fins together. It's a bit of a PITA peeling off the residue so I am going to have to try your method at some point...Nice build.

Interesting. I do something a little similar when sanding down my scratch made fins except I use 2 sided carpet tape to hold all the fins together. It's a bit of a PITA peeling off the residue so I am going to have to try your method at some point...Nice build.

Thanks for the compliment. I've heard of using carpet tape, it's an old wood turner's trick. But the residue is the reason I use the pin method. It has served me well on many builds.

Back