Hobbylinc Order

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just placed an order with Hobbylinc for some miscellaneous items that I need and I noticed on check out; well it's always been there that you have an option for shipping. I chose FED EX ground, because all orders under $100 are insured. They also have a description of each shipping method and they list the PROS and CONS. With FEDEX Ground you get tracking and it says it's excellent service, which I believe. I decided to read what the description was for USPS and under CONS it stated a little rough on packages. Really??!! That's a severe understatement! Anytime I had anything shipped using USPS it was always damaged in some way or another, but I'm happy that Hobbylinc does supply this information when checking and finalizing your orders.

Anyway I always look forward to packages no matter what's in them...

I've never had issues with USPS damaging packages.

When ever I use USPS I always go Priority. It's cheap and reliable. They have always been 3 days.

I used to sell a TON of baseball and football cards on eBay. At least 100 a month I always used USPS and the packages always made it I never had a buyer contact me about damaged cards. I even mailed a few out of the US. I had a few active duty Military guys that were stationed in Iraq Bid/Buy some of the cards. I mailed via USPS and they received the cards. I did also have one guy in Korea or something buy a card I was hesitent to ship to him. But he talked me into it I mailed USPS and he got the cards about a week later. The employees at USPS were very helpful and honest.

The one complaint I do have is that there is another home with the same address number 3 streets over. We are both 3635 (not those numbers). I'd say about 35% of my mail ends up in his mail box. I've complained and it stops for about 2-3 months then starts up again.

A lot might depend on your local drivers. Some of us were discussing this same thing recently on another forum. I have had many problems with FedEx drivers leaving packages unprotected in the rain, getting lost (really bad with FedEx SmartPost, before it gets to the USPS) and the drivers not even knocking on a door, just leaving the package or the slip that you didn't answer. FedEx smart post is poor enough, if I have a package sent that way without choices or notification that is the way it will ship, I will not order anything from that place again.

However I have had pretty good experience with both USPS and UPS.

Last edited:
A lot might depend on your local drivers.

Yes, I think it must be something local for AfterBurners to have had so much trouble with the USPS. We receive and send a lot of packages each month - most by USPS - and have had very few problems.

AfterBurners ... maybe you need to leave some cookies in your mail box for the delivery person. :)

Seriously ... you should talk with the postmaster at your local post office about the problems. If that doesn't help, contact the USPS through the customer service link on their web site.

-- Roger

I hear ya Roger - I remember one package I got. It was a magnetic RC mat. Ideal to use when working on RC trucks/cars because if you dropped a tiny screw it would stick to the mat. Well this things is big 24"x36" and I paid like $80 for it. When it arrived the box had a hole the size of a quarter in the center. I called the company that shipped it and the owner explained that he has always had problems with USPS delivering damaged packages. I suggested that he switched to another carrier. In the long run I got mt total refunded and he said just keep the mat. I've had body tubes from Hobbylinc constantly damaged over and over and a lot of it has to do with the way they pack their products. I ordered a LOC MMT and I'm hoping it gets here in good shape. IDK guys maybe it is just my area or my bad luck...we'll see how this order comes?

I have contacted USPS and all they said is you know we offer insurance...it's like saying you should get insurance because our handlers will damage your package one way or another? Instead they need more supervision and quality control to ensure the packages don't get damage and make the employee who does damage suffer the consequences. Just my :2: I guess it's just hit and miss?

I have never had a problem with ground shipping from Hobbylinc, or anyone else for that matter. Shipping and Handling is a racket and adds to the overall cost of purchases. I am fine with shipping, but the handling part of it can be questionable. I once paid $7.00 or so for shipping and handling only to receive the item in an envelope with postage stamps totaling around a dollar. If you need something fast, you might consider it, but otherwise it is unnecessary. I only insure expensive things (greater than $1000).

Chris

I've had mixed results with USPS parcels, although it seems the more expensive and/or irreplaceable the item inside the more likely it is to be damaged. UPS has only delivered one or two damaged boxes, fortunately nothing too valuable. They're more likely to deliver my stuff to the wrong house via transposing numbers in the address. The USAF captain living in the house down the street is getting used to having my stuff delivered to his house. FedEx so far is 100% on both accurate delivery and perfect condition - good thing, since they were the ones who delivered my 8" Celestron!

...I have had many problems with FedEx drivers leaving packages unprotected in the rain, getting lost... and the drivers not even knocking on a door, just leaving the package or the slip that you didn't answer...

I just bought a 32" flat screen TV for our bedroom from the SAM'S website a couple of months ago. It was delivered by FedEx and the driver left the TV right outside the front door, rang the doorbell and walked away. The TV was not shipped inside another box just the box the TV came in, which is fine for shipping purposes but what if I wasn't home... A flat screen TV sitting outside my front door in plain view of the entire neighborhood. I couldn't believe it, that's just not right!

Folks, a lot of times, what FedEx does with the package once it gets to your door is up to the shipper. If the shipper is not willing to pay to have someone sign for the package...guess what, it's usually set right outside your door. UPS does this too.

FC

A lot might depend on your local drivers. Some of us were discussing this same thing recently on another forum. I have had many problems with FedEx drivers leaving packages unprotected in the rain, getting lost (really bad with FedEx SmartPost, before it gets to the USPS) and the drivers not even knocking on a door, just leaving the package or the slip that you didn't answer. FedEx smart post is poor enough, if I have a package sent that way without choices or notification that is the way it will ship, I will not order anything from that place again.

However I have had pretty good experience with both USPS and UPS.

Amen - FedEx locally here puts my packages in the back by the garage - we don't USE our garage so they have sat over night before in rain. We even signed a paper saying DO NOT DELIVER WITHOUT SIGNATURE - they ignored this repeatedly.

UPS - delivery to the door every time. USPS - delivery to the door when larger than the mailbox - and friendly. I have had items damaged by all carriers - none more than any other.

Folks, a lot of times, what FedEx does with the package once it gets to your door is up to the shipper. If the shipper is not willing to pay to have someone sign for the package...guess what, it's usually set right outside your door. UPS does this too.

FC

They used to permit you to specify that you were unwilling for anything to be left without a signature - but they promptly ignored those directives.

As for the door? The fedex guys repeatedly drop stuff by our garage which is totally incorrect for our house. We ask them not to - they ignore us.
UPS - delivery to the door.

I get stuff from all 3 major delivery companies. Least is UPS, FedEx in the middle and mostly from USPS. I can't remember getting a crushed package from USPS and I know if I got more stuff from UPS, I'd probably get a damaged box now and then knowing how rough these folks are on these packages. But the worst case scenario was from FedEx. Fortunately the MR 1 I ordered wasn't damaged but looking at the box it arrived in would make you think differently. The only reasin I have pics of it was because I wanted Kyle at CDI (Commonwealth) to see it.

DSCF2802.jpg

Name a shipper, and someone has a horror story to go along with them.

A tremendous amount depends on who handles your package, and the quality of the people varies with each delivery company. We had a mail main in the past who was cranky and difficult to deal with; the guy we have now is fantastic. I've had UPS drivers that were pleasant and friendly, even at 8PM while making a delivery two days before Christmas, and just the other day I had one who obviously wasn't happen to be delivering two bulky, heavy boxes (pedestal sink). I've had similar experiences both good and bad with FedEx.

Something to realize about FedEx is that "normal" FedEx (blue/orange trucks) and FedEx Ground aren't really the same company. The former uses their own drivers, the latter are all contract routes, and is the business FedEx picked up when they bought RPS.

-Kevin

Another thing to remember is the sheer volume of parcels all carriers handle, and how they do it. All use machinery and very large bins to transport. Your parcel could be on the bottom of a half ton or more of packages. You have to pack accordingly. Machines can't and don't read "fragile ". It's going to be tossed by handlers. Repeatly. If you're not comfortable tossing a box down the stairs, and sending a bowling ball down after it - you need to repackage it.

Not being rude, that's just how it is. Generally the more you pay to ship, the better the treatment. Not that you're being held hostage for good treatment, but you're looking at faster shipping in smaller containers, and generally lower weights. By nature of that service it's going to take less damage..

Name a shipper, and someone has a horror story to go along with them.

A tremendous amount depends on who handles your package, and the quality of the people varies with each delivery company. We had a mail main in the past who was cranky and difficult to deal with; the guy we have now is fantastic.
-Kevin

1+ on having a fantastic mail man. Mine is so great that he gets a Christmas gift from me every year. Case & point. I'm usually home and he knows it because I work at home and usually greet him at the door every day. One day he was delivering a big package to me and because I was out running errands and didn't greet him, he put the package back in the truck and came by an hour later. He said, "I figured you were making some rounds and thought I could catch you a little later." He knew better than to leave something that big on the door step. Good thing too. Someone would have made off with this for sure.

DSCF2473.jpg

I don't remember ever getting anything damaged by the USPS in recent years. Of stuff that has been damaged about 99% of the time it is poor packaging. Even Amazon is guilty of not packing things well enough. If the item in the box rattles around when you shake it YOU DIDN'T USE ENOUGH PACKING MATERIAL! I bought a used RV air conditioner once. The shipper used a bunch of thin cardboard and some really thin foam to protect it. The thing was all bent to hell when I got it. The seller did return most of my money. The damaged item was not the shipping company's fault. Packing peanuts DO NOT work for heavy items. The heavy item just migrates to the bottom or side of the box and then the peanuts do nothing to cushion the item.

If I ship an item I pack it to survive about anything. I've built crates for some shipments as it was easier than finding a triple wall box and the right packing materials. Yes, the crates add weight, but the buyers were okay with the extra shipping.

All of the shipping companies leave stuff at my front door all the time unless a signature is required. Nothing has gone missing yet. I do live in a pretty decent neighborhood and my house is 200 feet from the road. It also helps that my "front" door is on the side of the house. If I liven in a bad neighborhood I'm sure they wouldn't leave the packages.

I do live in a pretty decent neighborhood and my house is 200 feet from the road. It also helps that my "front" door is on the side of the house. If I liven in a bad neighborhood I'm sure they wouldn't leave the packages.

Ask any cop. There's no such thing as "The Good Side Of Town". Crime happens whenever the opportunity strikes. Granted, it sounds like you have a bit more going for you regarding your distance from the road and the side entrance, but don't get too comfortable with the track record you're getting. Secondly, don't underestimate the delivery guys. They don't get paid better for looking out for you if you live in a questionable area and they probably aren't thinking on that level anyway. They are on a timed schedule and trying to get the job done. They are not likely to care what happens after they deliver your package. I'm fortunate that my local postman is looking out for me but that "other" guy might not be.

I was the shipping manager for an aircraft machine shop once upon a time. Normally I would or my crew would pack stuff really well, or so I thought until we shipped some wing components for Gulfstream G650s. The paint was chipped when the parts arrived, and before I new it, the owner of our company was in my face. I ended up designing new packaging for just about all the critical or government contracts that we had and it never failed after that. The boss wanted to know what I did to fix the problem. I told him that I designed the new packaging and then got up on the roof of the second story and threw the parts off. If they survived in the new packaging, then it was good enough. He did not like my methodology, but he did like the results. It was pretty hard to get stuff torn-up until someone used a ten ton fork truck on a helicopter blade box. That taught me some new stuff that day. Long and short is the packaging needs to be a lot better than you think it needs; and can the box land on a corner and not allow the contents to be damaged?

Secondly, don't underestimate the delivery guys. They don't get paid better for looking out for you if you live in a questionable area and they probably aren't thinking on that level anyway. They are on a timed schedule and trying to get the job done. They are not likely to care what happens after they deliver your package. I'm fortunate that my local postman is looking out for me but that "other" guy might not be.

There are certainly exceptions and some guys just don't care. I can however attest to the fact that especially with tracking, they know exactly who left a package and if something goes missing it's a giant PITA for the person who left it there. Best thing to do if you get a lot of boxes is to have someplace out of sight to leave them. Either a garage door thats open, or a chest or rubbermaid tub. Most guys I know won't leave anything in the wide open, but most houses here have covered porches and places to hide things.

IMO it all boils down to the fact that the delivery guys are all part of a Unioon. It is VERY difficult for USPS, FedEx or UPS to fire bad employees. This means they can't weed out the bad apples. Some people eventually realize that they won't lose their jobs and just do not care.

I also know in ANY business things do go wrong from time to time.

Hey I've been on both sides of it. I worked for ups a while in college, what a bitch of a job! Yeah your packages got damaged in transit. If you know what they went through, you'd pack better! I don't wish that on anyone except maybe a richie rich punk kid. Then maybe he'd learn the value of a buck! On the other hand, I ship orchids, some even in flower. I use ebay, and as a result, 99.9 % of the items ship usps priority. I have 100% feedback, and this spring , I intend to try to double my sales, as I have way too many divisions to make! I will continue to use usps, as they seem as gentle as any can be, knowing the insides of the shipping biz. Of course, I have a great staff at my local P.O. I've even gone to them at 7:15 AM, when they are officially closed for business to collect a shipment of 25 live angelfishes before I left town for the weekend. Yeah, they would not have lived through the weekend on the doorstep. In summary, It is the individual , not the firm, who can cause you happiness or dismay. Ever go the chateau du Golden Arches to find your mcrib drowning in a pool of BBQ sauce? Good? Maybe. But is it the fault of the corporation your sandwich is soggy, or the employee who just wants to get outta there to go smoke a pipe with his crackhead friends? Last time you went it might have been good.... I submit, that my post office is stocked with first rate employees, who, like me, care. Maybe you are lucky, maybe not, it seems the fate of the United States these days...

Back