What if Disney/Pixar bought Star Trek?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would watch it if only they could the actors to voice the charactors. I wonder who would do Bones and Scotty?

Nightmare scenario:

SyFy channel buys Star Trek. And makes new episodes to the quality of their "Saturday night" movies, like "Sharktopus", "Dinocroc vs Supergator", "NYC Tornado Terror", "Mega Pirhana", "Fire Serpent", and last but not least: "Megashark vs Giant Octopus" (Maybe thats how Sharktopus was later born?).

Maybe the first SyFy Trek would be "Tiberious vs MegaShark". And the next one, "Bones vs the Living Dead".

- George Gassaway

Most people don't pay attention, but Disney bought Marvel, and The Avengers was amazing. Disney usually makes huge profits on what it makes. John Carter aside, it's all great!

Most people don't pay attention, but Disney bought Marvel, and The Avengers was amazing. Disney usually makes huge profits on what it makes. John Carter aside, it's all great!

I actually liked John Carter...

I AM NOT a big fan of JJAbramsTrek... has FAR too much in common with the "comic book movies" for my taste...

IF I wanted to see one of the comic book movies, I'd go SEE a comic book movie... I don't want to see a TREK version of a comic book movie...

Later! OL JR :)

I thought that John Carter, followed the book in spirit pretty well(they did change a few bits but that is to be expected, some things just don't work on-screen as well as they do in text)
rex

I came across this the other day he has a few others on his site https://minionfactory.blogspot.co.uk/. A Pixar DC / marvel comics and a Pixar Star Wars. He's talented and apparently colorblind to some degree as well. He got some flak over the Sulu coloring.

I AM NOT a big fan of JJAbramsTrek... has FAR too much in common with the "comic book movies" for my taste...

+1

I HATE the JJ Abrams lens flare fest, and am not happy at all that he is going to be doing Star Wars Ep 7.

The whole argument of "Well, he can't make it any worse than Lucas did" is so weak. He lamed up Star Trek, now he is going to do the same with Star Wars. Here's an idea....just leave Star Wars alone period! That way...we can just pretend that Ep 1-3 don't exist and enjoy Star Wars 4-6 without ruining it further!

+1

I HATE the JJ Abrams lens flare fest, and am not happy at all that he is going to be doing Star Wars Ep 7.

The whole argument of "Well, he can't make it any worse than Lucas did" is so weak. He lamed up Star Trek, now he is going to do the same with Star Wars. Here's an idea....just leave Star Wars alone period! That way...we can just pretend that Ep 1-3 don't exist and enjoy Star Wars 4-6 without ruining it further!

I agree...

Though I have a feeling that when Abrams is through with SW, it's gonna make what Lucas was doing on 1-3 look GOOD...

I dunno... maybe I'll get flamed for this, but actually I didn't think SW1-3 was THAT bad... kinda liked them actually, though of course if you wanted to make a better set of movies, you'd have jettisoned Jar Jar out the nearest airlock first off, and then done a bit better with the writing... and avoid the whole "Anakin as a kid" thing... IOW, set the whole thing during the Clone Wars with Anakin as a young adult...

Lucas COULD have done better, but with the "middle three" stories already told, there was a "canon" there that had to be meshed in with whatever he did in the "first three" movies-- the quandary of doing a "prequel"... I think Lucas COULD have done a better job of it though... too many things DIDN"T mesh with what the original movies revealed... but it's ALWAYS harder to write a story where you've got to end up with everybody and everything in position for what the original movies had already exposed, than if you're writing an "open ended" story...

As for "reboots", well, the ONLY reboot that I've seen that I've actually deemed superior to what was going on before was the James Bond films... Things REALLY had gone to pot writing-wise and premise-wise during the Brosnan films, which is sad, because he was one of the best Bonds since Sean Connery...

As for the Trek reboot-- Meh... it's B-grade comic book stuff... like the "new" BSG (Melrose Place in space) and 99% of the classic movie remakes-- can't hold a candle to the original... just like "NEW COKE", it leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

I agree...

Though I have a feeling that when Abrams is through with SW, it's gonna make what Lucas was doing on 1-3 look GOOD...

I dunno... maybe I'll get flamed for this, but actually I didn't think SW1-3 was THAT bad... kinda liked them actually, though of course if you wanted to make a better set of movies, you'd have jettisoned Jar Jar out the nearest airlock first off, and then done a bit better with the writing... and avoid the whole "Anakin as a kid" thing... IOW, set the whole thing during the Clone Wars with Anakin as a young adult...

Lucas COULD have done better, but with the "middle three" stories already told, there was a "canon" there that had to be meshed in with whatever he did in the "first three" movies-- the quandary of doing a "prequel"... I think Lucas COULD have done a better job of it though... too many things DIDN"T mesh with what the original movies revealed... but it's ALWAYS harder to write a story where you've got to end up with everybody and everything in position for what the original movies had already exposed, than if you're writing an "open ended" story...

As for "reboots", well, the ONLY reboot that I've seen that I've actually deemed superior to what was going on before was the James Bond films... Things REALLY had gone to pot writing-wise and premise-wise during the Brosnan films, which is sad, because he was one of the best Bonds since Sean Connery...

As for the Trek reboot-- Meh... it's B-grade comic book stuff... like the "new" BSG (Melrose Place in space) and 99% of the classic movie remakes-- can't hold a candle to the original... just like "NEW COKE", it leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

If you take the overall story from Ep 1-3, the under currents of what was going on and the slow manipulation of Anakin...the prequels were not bad. It was interesting to see how something as trivial as a trade dispute sparked a huge war and revolution....and to see the evil of Palpatine being realized. Seeing how he manipulated Anakin spun a new look when watching him attempt to turn Luke on board the second Death Star.

The overall execution of the three films was it's downfall. Things like calling the character who would later become one of the biggest villians in science fiction film history "Annie" was awful....Jar Jar...nothing to be said there. Not to mention the over use of CGI special effects. The films ended up like a fire works show....you go "OOOOOHHHHHH" and "AAHHHHHH" while watching and then walk away with nothing to hold onto....CGI took the soul out of Star Wars and EP 1-3 provided very few moments like 4-6 did.

But the moments those 3 films provided....the lightsabers igniting throughout the arena to save Anakin and Padme at the end of Ep 2, the battle above the planet in the beginning of Ep 3, even the epic lightsaber duel between Qui-Gon, Obi Wan and Darth Maul in Ep 1....all very cool.

+100000 to that. I have Firefly and Serenity on DVD and Bluray now. Oh, and John Carter, too. Me and probably 12 other people bought the Bluray.

Adrian

I would absolutely like to see something else in the Firefly universe. However, Whedon himself said there's no logical way to bring back our beloved crew. They are forever perfect since it ended way before its time, and would never be what it was, nor what we expected (if that can be quantified?).

As far as Star Wars, I love sci-fi in general, so I never saw SW as more than that (although I posilutely love Empire Strikes Back). Thus, I am looking forward to seeing what the new SW is going to be. I really don't think it could be anymore plodding and hamfisted than Episodes 1-2. For me, both the actors for Annakin were wretched and crippled any efforts. I did like Episode 3, especially the penultimate battle with Obi Wan. Only the Sith deal in absolutes. Ha!

Star Trek and star Wars have had their time; now it’s time for the Honorverse movies.
But then: who do you get to portray the part of Honor Harrington?

Star Trek and star Wars have had their time; now it’s time for the Honorverse movies.
But then: who do you get to portray the part of Honor Harrington?

Hmmm. That's a toughie. She's gotta be tough. And tall, I think. Lucy Lawless maybe? I'll have ta think more on this.

Adrian

be interesting to see how they handle the treecats(and the sound of ripping canvas)
rex

be interesting to see how they handle the treecats(and the sound of ripping canvas)
rex

As a movie visual I have serious doubts about the Treecats coming across as anything but silly looking. I haven’t even seen a still image that I feel “Gets it right”, I’m afraid that Nimitz and the rest will come across looking like a parrot on the shoulder from some bad pirate movie or the monkey from that old Errol Flynn flik “The Sea Hawk”.

Back