How to add Motors to Open Rocket Free Software

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Morgan

Reaction score
Sorry, this is probably in here somewhere, I tried a search.
But, how do you add motors to Open Rocket free software, please?

Thank you for any assistance.

JP

firstly, are you sure your motor isn't in there? I went through this a few weeks ago because I thought a cti motor was in there. it turns out the motor was in there, just sorted differently. instead of h163 (or whatever it was), it was 166-h163-xxx.

if the motor is really missing, then the or documentation tells you where to put the file:

https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediaw...le=FAQ#How_do_I_add_motors_to_the_database.3F

Thank you for the reply Derek. I thought I was doing the right thing, opened up the page and it was empty...
I'll keep trying.

JP

what page? the link I posted above or are you saying that there are no motors at all your open rocket database?

did you try changing the setting from show motors that are the same siza as the motor mount to show all motors?

I wonder if you have a funny mmt size and that is confusing it.

Hi,

By default the motors are filtered to show only motors that fit the motor mount. You can change this in the drop down menu. If you're still not seeing any motors, tell what version you're using and how have you installed it.

If you're searching for a specific motor, just type a bit of the designation into the search box (e.g. "h163").

Cheers,
Sampo N.

The version is Open Rocket 12.09.1 JAR file and opens with JAVA.
I click on Select Motor and nothings there in the window that comes up, top of window says select a rocket motor but it's blank.
I see a component name but not a search box.

thanks,

JP

Last edited:
do you have a design file that has this problem, that we could look at? or take a look at the attached file and see if you have the same problem.
rex
Thanks for the reply Rex. If it was Sign making Graphic Software I'd have no problems.
I can't open the file with any programs that I've found on my machine. Wish it was a simple as copy and paste but that doesn't work either...

JP

Thanks for the reply Rex. If it was Sign making Graphic Software I'd have no problems.
I can't open the file with any programs that I've found on my machine. Wish it was a simple as copy and paste but that doesn't work either...

JP
You probably need to save the file to your desktop or something, then open Open Rocket and choose open file. Then navigate to where you saved it, it should open. If you just double click the file, you won't be able to open it because OR isn't really an installed program.

JP, I think what you need to do it this....
1) bring up Open Rocket.
2)click File, Open....navigate to your saved open rocket file, and open.
3)Click on Flight Simulation tab.
4)click New Simulation
5)On motor configuration, click on box...select edit configurations
6)click New Configuration...then select motor....this should bring up the list of motors in the database.
Hopefully this is what you were looking for.

Now, is there anyway to add motors to the database? I'm looking for the CTI G145 Pink, and it isn't in the database. I haven't had a chance to use this much.

go to thrustcurve.org, search/ common name/g145, download simulator file/save target as, save the rse file(easiest to put it in the same folder as OR, or if you like a sub folder such as 'engine files'(which you'll have to make)) start OR under edit/preferences/options you'll find 'add user defined thrust curves' point OR to the new thrust curve save etc. and close OR now reopen/restart OR, the new engine should now be in the list.
to open .ork files you need to run OR and use the file menu/open and navigate/point OR to the file you wish yo open. hth
rex

It's getting late, thanks guys. I'll give these ideas a shot tomorrow.
I've been fooling around with a couple of 3" rockets and saved them for a scratch build. I access it from the desk top.
Surely one of these methods will work.
Report back later.

regards,

JP

go to thrustcurve.org, search/ common name/g145, download simulator file/save target as, save the rse file(easiest to put it in the same folder as OR, or if you like a sub folder such as 'engine files'(which you'll have to make)) start OR under edit/preferences/options you'll find 'add user defined thrust curves' point OR to the new thrust curve save etc. and close OR now reopen/restart OR, the new engine should now be in the list.
to open .ork files you need to run OR and use the file menu/open and navigate/point OR to the file you wish yo open. hth
rex
Rex, you are da man! Thanks!

I used Open Rocket for over a year, before I finally figured it out. Here's how I do it. In the Motor Configuration drop down, choose "Edit Configurations".

select_motor1.jpg

This window will pop up.

select_motor2.jpg

Click on "New Configuration".

select_motor3.jpg

Click where it says "None", then click "Select Motor".

select_motor4.jpg

This will bring up a list of motors that fit your motor mount.

select_motor5.jpg

Scroll up or down, choose the motor you want, then choose your delay. Click on "Okay". Now you can run the sim(s) for your motor(s).

select_motor6.jpg

Thank you very much guys!
I'll get on this later today, right now I'm doing decal work on the Bull Pup, which has been collecting dust
as of late.
I think you guys are the Greatest!

best regards,

JP

Improvement ideas are welcome.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

UI's are extremely difficult.
My idea of a good UI for this:

1. Shared launch conditions between all simulations. Temperature, altitude, launch rod length, etc., would be selected at the top of the window. Overrides (via a dialogue box as is currently done) would be possible for individual simulations.
2. Motor configurations would automatically create simulations: as you add the motor configuration the simulation appears on the list. I don't see any reason to have a motor configuration that is not simulated, and it's irritating to have to add it in two places.
3. If you want to do override parameters, you would be able to duplicate the simulation/motor configuration and then override the parameters.

4. I want multiple rocket configurations. You should be able to initialize a second configuration, which would start out identical to the previously-selected configuration. You could change which one is active via drop-down box (possibly where the current motor configurations are located) (and this would be selectable in the simulation tab on a simulation-by-simulation basis). When editing a feature of the rocket, there would be two 'apply' boxes: one to apply to all (or some) configurations, and one to only the current configuration.

This would be implemented by adding a two tags to each part in the file structure: an ID and a configuration tag. If the configuration tag is 0, it applies to all configurations. If it's non-zero, then it applies to that configuration only. When parsing the file tree, it would pick out only parts labeled either 0 or the current configuration, and ignore anything else. Obviously if there is something shared by all but one configuration, the part with the non-zero configuration tag gets priority.

For saving: If you make a part vary between configurations, then it would have two identical ID tags and differing configuration tags. To apply a change to all configurations (or selected ones), it just deletes any other items with the same ID tag (except those with un-selected configuration tags) and sets the new one's configuration tag to 0 so it'll be accessed by all configurations.

5. When you add a motor configuration, the simulation that would be created should be set to the current rocket configuration.

Last edited:
Way too many dialogs and clicks. I want to select a motor. Period. Everything else I should be able to change somewhere else. I totally agreed. Shared conditions UNLESS overridden. I want "Select a motor". Period.

Problem solved!
Turns out, the page that comes up with the listing of motors and the graph on the right hand side was coming
up rather large. By chance it ran across my mind to grab a corner of the page and shrink it down a bit and IT WORKED!!!
I'm in business now!
Thank you Kevin and Friends for your assistance!

Best Regards,

JP

Last edited:
try Rex's method above. Save .eng file, then go to edit/preferences/options, go down to add user defined .eng files, hit add, navigate to file you saved. close OR, then reopen and see if file is there. Rex explains it better in post#14.

Back