Current best Keychain Cam type/place to buy (LPR)?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Lost one of my two keycams last weekend; looking to spend up to ~$25 to replace it. Original cost about $10 shipped from China and was one of those "good #3" types. Bought it from the referenced ebay store in the first post here.

But if for a few more bucks I can get a higher def camera that doesn't weigh noticeably more, I'd pop for a little higher price.

The original vendor isn't mentioning that his cams are the #3 type anymore so I'm presuming they are some less desirable implmentation.

Please advise on either where to get a #3 or a higher res good keycam.

Thanks!

Marc

Go for the HD Jumbo version; the sellers are listed in the RC Groups Keychain cam update thread. I believe its the HD Jumbo # 11 that I bought. The beauty of the jumbo cams is that the optics are on a rather long (3/4") ribbon connection, so when you disassemble the camera from the housing, you can put just the tiny lens outside the rocket, and keep the camera mechanics inside. I used a small nosecone as a fairing. The battery in the "JUMBO" version is substantially larger, which will help prevent over draining; should be good for about 2 hrs of recording.

Be sure to get a good & fast 4 or 8 gig card, to prevent dropped frames.

Cheers,

PT

Looks like the HD cams are up.around $40 or so. I thin id rather stick to the standard def since risk of loss is high.

Anybody know a vendor selling the good #3 batch cams since the vendor listed in that other thread isn't saying they are #3 anymore?

Go for the HD Jumbo version; the sellers are listed in the RC Groups Keychain cam update thread. I believe its the HD Jumbo # 11 that I bought. The beauty of the jumbo cams is that the optics are on a rather long (3/4") ribbon connection, so when you.....

I have not been keeping up with this stuff, so this is quite informative.
Thanks for sharing and posting this info!

I bought mine from BayouRat Rocketry. $21 plus $6 shipping and I got the camera, 2 GB card, and the download cable. They test each camera before they send it to you and it comes charged so you can take it out of the box and launch it right away. In my opinion you can't beat that deal.

https://www.bayouratrocketry.com

Any brand recommendations here? Any other advice?

Thanks again

DO NOT buy the cards from the 'no name' ebay operators... there are TONS of FAKE cards being sold over there...

By "fake" I mean you plug the card in, use it, and it drops frames like crazy and is full before you know it. You download it and find that your "8 gig" card is full with only 2 gigs worth of files on it... you check the "properties" in windows, and it SAYS (tells the computer) it's an 8 gig card, but if you test it you'll find it's only like a 2 gig. Same thing with speed-- they may have a fake Class 4 or Class 6 rating on it, but when you run a read/write test on the card, it turns up to be a crappy class 2 at best...

Buy the cards from newegg or locally at Fry's Electronics or Walmart or wherever... Look for the "class 4" or up cards-- the higher the class rating the faster the card will write, and the better the video quality will be (fewer dropped frames). The class of the card is marked on it with a tiny white "C" with a tinier number inside the "C". The higher the better. I'd go with a higher class rating over a larger card gig rating myself-- 4 gigs is plenty, 6 or 8 gets pretty expensive and basically you should be getting the videos off before it gets THAT full... plus, that's an expensive card to risk getting damaged/lost/ruined if something happens to the rocket.

Good luck! OL JR :)

Look for the "class 4" or up cards-- the higher the class rating the faster the card will write, and the better the video quality will be (fewer dropped frames).

Again, thanks for the help guys!

I never knew what those markings meant, just went to wallyworld and bought something. I will start paying more attention now, and I am guessing I should always be buying the 'faster' cards for other cameras and applications too

Again, thanks for the help guys!

I never knew what those markings meant, just went to wallyworld and bought something. I will start paying more attention now, and I am guessing I should always be buying the 'faster' cards for other cameras and applications too

Yeah, I saw a CLASS 10 card at Walmart in Indiana-- it's bout time to replace the full-size card in my digital camera, and I think I'm gonna get me one of these and try it out. Hopefully the faster write speed will allow me to get better fireworks shots at night in burst mode-- it takes great pics, but then after it's shot 33 pics, it takes about 30 seconds or so to write them all from the buffer in the camera to the memory card before you can take more pics-- an eternity in which a lot of fireworks go up and can't be photographed due to the camera being stuck in 'write' mode...

Too bad these are full-sized memory cards and not the micro cards-- they'd be PERFECT for the keychain cams...

Later! OL JR :)

Hi guys,

Lost one of my two keycams last weekend; looking to spend up to ~$25 to replace it. Original cost about $10 shipped from China and was one of those "good #3" types. Bought it from the referenced ebay store in the first post here.

But if for a few more bucks I can get a higher def camera that doesn't weigh noticeably more, I'd pop for a little higher price.

The original vendor isn't mentioning that his cams are the #3 type anymore so I'm presuming they are some less desirable implmentation.

Please advise on either where to get a #3 or a higher res good keycam.

Thanks!

Marc

Got one of these recently from a positive vendor in China from this site, says its a # 3 , but newer ones can drop frames : https://www.chucklohr.com/808/

After pulling the trigger and doing some research after , may have jumped to #11 and bought my own cable and MicroSD (so I get to pick) . $40+ to make it happen, haven't found less expensive, but like the testing and review here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z-59WlUqZ8

Am sending the one received this week back to china for exchange - is not dead but not working . Should have went domestic through https://www.bayouratrocketry.com/
took 3 days of eMail just to get RMA started .

Kenny

Back