Just another boring HP scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must agree, the flat/satin paint looks most exellent !!

Looks very missile like ,and I like that :wink:

Some yellow stripes and white US AIR FORCE decals would look tres cool !

Cheers

Paul T

I must agree, the flat/satin paint looks most exellent !!

Looks very missile like ,and I like that :wink:

Some yellow stripes and white US AIR FORCE decals would look tres cool !

Cheers

Paul T

Funny you should mention yellow stripes. My son suggested today that it would look cool with the edges of the fins painted gold.

All you need is a drill press, some hole saws, and a lathe, and you can make your very own centering rings!

Is that all? :tongue:

That thing looks beautiful man!

as far as correcting the fillet, I'd leave it alone. The edges of my 5.5 inch Nike Smoke fillets look horrible (didn't round them off, I guess I could go back and do it again, but I won't worry about it) If anyone has any problems with it...it's there problem, not yours :wink:

Braden

Last edited:
Is that all? :tongue:

That thing looks beautiful man!

as far as correcting the fillet, I'd leave it alone. The edges of my 5.5 inch Nike Smoke fillets look horrible (didn't round them off, I guess I could go back and do it again, but I won't worry about it) If anyone has any problems with it...it's there problem, not yours :wink:

Braden

Well, and a bandsaw, and some sandpaper, and some lathe chisels...

Thank you for the compliment! I'm not going to sweat the imperfections. It'll look great on the pad.

And got the decal applied. I love those vinyl decals! I had to cut the straight line where it went across the sections.

155_decal.jpg

156_decal.jpg

157_decal.jpg

158_decal.jpg

159_decal.jpg

Pardon my french, but this thing is bad ass! I love how it turned out! It has got to be the wickedest looking rocket I've built by far. I'm very very pleased with this one, including the paint. (Bet you never thought I'd say that!) I have got an H73 Black Jack with Ion Disruptor written all over it!

163_outside.jpg

164_outside.jpg

166_outside.jpg

168_outside.jpg

169_outside.jpg

Pardon my french, but this thing is bad ass! I love how it turned out! It has got to be the wickedest looking rocket I've built by far. I'm very very pleased with this one, including the paint. (Bet you never thought I'd say that!) I have got an H73 Black Jack with Ion Disruptor written all over it!

That rocket looks great:D

Pardon my french, but this thing is bad @$$! I love how it turned out! It has got to be the wickedest looking rocket I've built by far. I'm very very pleased with this one, including the paint. (Bet you never thought I'd say that!) I have got an H73 Black Jack with Ion Disruptor written all over it!

It sure is, you did a great job. Congrats on the paint!

I'm trying to decide on what size parachute to use. I used a 45" on my Minie Magg which weighs 62oz, and on Tank Girl which weighs 66oz. But my next size down is 36", which I used on Big Bad Burt who weighs 22oz. Ion Disruptor weighs 40oz. Which size should I use?

Image00095.jpg

P1010277.JPG

IMGP9775edit.jpg

according to the chute size calculator over at rocket reviews, a 36" chute should bring it down at 20fps (48" for 15fps) hth
rex

What bitchin' lookin' thing!:dark::dark: Really nice. And the satin finish, sorry I did not say, but yes, it's a cross between gloss and flat. And it makes that nose cone look like a Radome. :D
:handshake::handshake::clap::clap::cheers::cheers:

I'd go with 45" unless its a really windy day.

[POW]Eagle159;293106 said:
45'' with a spill hole??? 6'' hole should do it.

A spill hole's not a bad idea.

according to the chute size calculator over at rocket reviews, a 36" chute should bring it down at 20fps (48" for 15fps) hth
rex

Yeah, I was looking around at chutes that come with kits. I noticed Madcow kits from 37 to 60 ounces come with a 36" chute. I don't think I'd go above 40 ounces with a 36" chute though.

What bitchin' lookin' thing!:dark::dark: Really nice. And the satin finish, sorry I did not say, but yes, it's a cross between gloss and flat. And it makes that nose cone look like a Radome. :D
:handshake::handshake::clap::clap::cheers::cheers:

I'd go with 45" unless its a really windy day.

Thanks Jeff. I'm very happy with how it turned out. I'm still giddy from the no-problems-with-the-paint thing! LOL

I think I'll wait and see how windy it is Saturday. If it is windy, I'll use the 36". If it's not, I'll use the 45". With the upswept fins and reinforced bottom, it should do fine on a 36", even if it lands a little hard.

Thanks Jeff. I'm very happy with how it turned out. I'm still giddy from the no-problems-with-the-paint thing! LOL

I think I'll wait and see how windy it is Saturday. If it is windy, I'll use the 36". If it's not, I'll use the 45". With the upswept fins and reinforced bottom, it should do fine on a 36", even if it lands a little hard.

Yeah I was fergitin' you launch where the ground is not hard as a rock. :)

I actually started a thread about these rocks that are all over the place at Snow Ranch. Not sure if we ever figured out exactly what they are.

rock2.jpg

rock4.jpg

rock5.jpg

I've had several comments about my homemade retention clips, so I thought I'd show step by step how I make them. I used to use brass, but lately I've been using 1/8" x 1/2" aluminum bar stock.

I start by marking the length of the first bend, then mark a straight line with a square. Put it in the vise using the line for alignment, then make the first bend with a hammer. With a motor case in the motor mount, I mark for the next bend. When clamping it in the vise, I've found putting the mark about 1/16" above the jaws gives the best results.

171_retention.jpg

172_retention.jpg

173_retention.jpg

174_retention.jpg

175_retention.jpg

To get a clean bend, I use a large file and hammer to bend it with. I pound against the edge of the file, which bends it cleanly. Back to the rocket to mark the final cut, then cut it with a hacksaw.

176_retention.jpg

177_retention.jpg

178_retention.jpg

179_retention.jpg

180_retention.jpg

I usually drill a 3/16" hole in the clips, even though I'm using #6 machine screws, which are 1/8". I've found the larger diameter holes make it easier to screw them in place. I clean them up with the belt sander and Dremel, and voila! Positive retention! The aluminum clips and machine screws only weigh 11 grams for the pair.

181_retention.jpg

182_retention.jpg

183_retention.jpg

184_retention.jpg

In addition to the clips, I usually make a retention plate for my HP builds. The plate is for when I use a motor adapter, in this case from 38mm to 29mm.

I'm using 1/16" x 1-1/4" aluminum. I print out a marking guide onto cardstock, then mark the drilling locations with a center punch. I drill the screw holes with a 5/32" bit, and the center hole with a 3/4" hole saw. After drilling, I cut it to length with the bandsaw.

185_retention_plate.jpg

186_retention_plate.jpg

187_retention_plate.jpg

188_retention_plate.jpg

189_retention_plate.jpg

I trim the corners with the bandsaw, then clean up the edges with the belt sander and Dremel. I suppose I could use this method of retention for both 38mm and 29mm motors. I don't know why I don't, other than I like little projects like this.

190_retention_plate.jpg

191_retention_plate.jpg

192_retention_plate.jpg

Back