CA is Super Glue, is it not?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Ok, Ill have the answer to this maybe later.But I got somethings to do,so Ill thro this out there. Today I bought some new winter sneakers for my truck at WW. I had time to walk/shop around while they were putting them on the truck. I see Loctite sells "All Purpose Super Glue".It contains Cyanoacrylate. So,I bought a bottle to try.I figure at the price of $2.47 or somehting close to that,it beats paying 4,5,6 dollars for a bottle the same size of the stuff that says CA on it at the LHS. So, has anyone used this(loctite) and is it as good as say B Smith or the othere CA glues?

Loctite super glue is the same as the other brands of CA. If you have the bottle of Loctite thin super glue with the orange or red sides you squeeze, it dispenses pretty easily, too. There isn't very much in the bottle, though. I thought mine was empty when I first took it out of the package.

CA is what many (most) manufacturers call Super Glue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate probably is more than you want to know about "super glue".

Bob
Applying cyanoacrylate to materials made of cotton or wool (such as cotton swabs, cotton balls, and certain yarns or fabrics) results in a powerful, rapid exothermic reaction. The heat released may cause minor burns, and if enough cyanoacrylate is used, the reaction is capable of igniting the cotton product, as well as releasing irritating vapor in the form of white smoke.[17] OHHH YAAAAA.. I know of this first hand. I use cotton balls and CA to fill gaps. I did notice ,what I call, a very violent reaction with the smoke and all. HOLLY MOLLY!!!!!!!:y::y:

Loctite super glue is the same as the other brands of CA. If you have the bottle of Loctite thin super glue with the orange or red sides you squeeze, it dispenses pretty easily, too. There isn't very much in the bottle, though. I thought mine was empty when I first took it out of the package.

CA is what many (most) manufacturers call Super Glue.
I tried it tonight. the only thing I found different was it did not seem to have the overwhelming vapors/smell like B Smiths does.

CA always "smokes" when it polymerizes. It is the source of the acrid, nose burning fumes that every user accidentally sniffs at one time or another. The smoke doesn't come from combustion but is composed of one or more chemical components that are shed during the cure process. Water-thin CA cures so quickly that this byproduct blows off all at once, creating a fleeting cloud or wisp of visible vapor. You can usually catch it for the fraction of a second that it lasts if you hold the article up in front of a dark background and watch closely.

Super Glue is a trade name.

Cyanoacrylate glues were popularized by Superglue and Satellite City (under the name "Hot Stuff") but I'm uncertain who was on the market first.

Satellite City

Satellite City was the first company of which I'm aware to bring CA glue to balsa modeling. The company is named for the Satellite, a Free Flight Power model that appears in the company's logo. It was designed and campaigned by the owners (Bob and Bill Hunter) in classes as small as 1/2A all the way up to the might Satellite 1300 (wing area in square inches...a BIG bird) in D-Gas. Mine was either a 1/2A Satellite 226 or a 320 GLH but that was a long time ago and I'm no longer sure which variant.

Among the Free Flight community, all CA glue is now called "Hot Stuff" in the same way a tissue is Kleenex and a photocopy is a Xerox.

Yeah the vapors of CA can be pretty harsh, they're actually pretty useful though. You can actually use it to get fingerprints! If you leave an open container of super glue under a jar containing an item with a fingerpring you'd like to lift, the vapors will actually give you that white frosty look of dried CA around everything but the oils from where the finger touched it. Not necessarily relevant to rocketry obviously....unless you're trying to figured out whole stole your rocket of course :)

Yeah the vapors of CA can be pretty harsh, they're actually pretty useful though. You can actually use it to get fingerprints! If you leave an open container of super glue under a jar containing an item with a fingerpring you'd like to lift, the vapors will actually give you that white frosty look of dried CA around everything but the oils from where the finger touched it. Not necessarily relevant to rocketry obviously....unless you're trying to figured out whole stole your rocket of course :)
If someone steals my rocket,they got alot more to worry about than using the CA just to lift the prints.......:dark::dark::dark:

I've been a modeler for years and have used ca for many years ago on balsa joints then "dust" it with baking soda it sets instant and is as hard as concrete.I actually started using it on rocket builds with tips from this place..thanks all there's just way to much info in this place

I've been a modeler for years and have used ca for many years ago on balsa joints then "dust" it with baking soda it sets instant and is as hard as concrete.I actually started using it on rocket builds with tips from this place..thanks all there's just way to much info in this place
Thats because you changed the PH level using the baking soda for the set time and maybe the soda adds some amendment or some thing like that.Like putting rocks in cement?????????

Last edited:

Just don't shine a UV light on the average rocketeer's Estes catalog. :y:

It's possible to get sensitized or allergic or call it whatever you want to "super glue" aka CA. I can smell it a mile away and cannot use it without an organic filter respirator.

If I'm exposed to the fumes for long I get the following (slightly delayed) reaction: Extremely runny/stuffed up nose and my chin and throat get very itchy. Effect lasts for about an hour but has been as bad as 3-4 hours.

Not good, and it was caused by over-exposure. Built a little wooden canoe model and used CA to plank it, also built several balsa RC airplanes. Plenty of fume exposure. The canoe finished me off.

N

Anybody found anything cheaper than the big bottles they have at hobby lobby?
Depends what you're doing-I keep those little tubes from Dollar Tree/99 cent store et al in a clear plastic tube in my range box-somebody always need a repair. Helps to keep some kicker in your box too! If you are using it to flood tubes/mmts/couplers, then no, not cost effective. Most LHS buy from vendors that can re-brand for the store name and there is a premium there especially if you're the captive audience. A large bottle is cheaper, but ya gotta keep it dry and uncontaminated or it'll set up. I'm really stoked if I can make it thru a 2 oz bottle, but it's easy to do if you are building like crazy. It's like candy bars-buy the biggest you can find and don't eat it all at once (unlike me...) >end of weird analogy<

Gorilla Glue CA is good stuff, and available at Lowes and Home Depot.

(Good God! did I actually mention those stupid "Boutique Hardware Stores"??):y:

I use the Gorilla CA to attach the fins to my rockets. I then use Gorilla wood glue for the fillets.

so far seems to be working great.

Gorilla Glue CA is good stuff, and available at Lowes and Home Depot.

(Good God! did I actually mention those stupid "Boutique Hardware Stores"??):y:

Back