Building an X-stand for 65# rocket. What diameter PVC?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
For a big rocket that might weight up to 65 pounds, depending on motor selection, what size PVC should I use to build a ground stand (X stand or Y stand) that will support its weight without collapsing? I'm figuring someone has already done this....

Thanks.

Also curious about this answer. I currently have one built out of 2x4's but i want a slightly more elegant solution.

Definitely. Not to mention it will look prettier than the stand I made in 5 minutes because I needed something to hold the fin can while I did T2T :p

Keep the legs really really short and you can use 1/2" 😀😀

Ha! I actually want it to be tall enough that it is easy to screw in my shear pins without bending over too much. If it requires too much bending, I will have to get Matt to put my pins in. :grin:

Right now I am thinking maybe 2" pipe. But I could save a lot of money if 1.5" or 1.75" will do.

Ha! I actually want it to be tall enough that it is easy to screw in my shear pins without bending over too much. If it requires too much bending, I will have to get Matt to put my pins in. :grin:

Right now I am thinking maybe 2" pipe. But I could save a lot of money if 1.5" or 1.75" will do.

1.75" pipe?

I went with 1" 72lb
2- X connected by 2 lower straight 5' sections, holds it just fine

I use 1" pvc. Holds my in-progress rocket that will weigh 50+ lbs with not issues. The legs are each 12".
Put it on a folding table and use rubber tape on the bottom. . No sliding.

I've been eyeing these, though for the utility. Use them as seats when not at a launch. I love the pouch on them. Can never have enough places to store baubels during launch day.

$16 at amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016SF1NG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

2017-02-13 14_40_41-AmazonSmile _ Allen 5805 Collapsible Fold Stool _ Sports & Outdoors.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I used 3/4" for my stands. I made two U shaped about 28" tall, put them together and used a 1/4-20 piece of threaded rod with two lock nut and a spacer between so the foam would still fold flat and a piece of 150 lb Dacron line on the bottom of the U to keep that from spreading and from going flat. Some foam pipe insulation on the top parts and two of them hold my 55# rocket. The part with the highest stress is the line holding the bottom pieces from spreading too far. The cheap 1/4" non-welded chain just spread apart.

0315151240.jpg

I used 3/4" for my stands. I made two U shaped about 28" tall, put them together and used a 1/4-20 piece of threaded rod with two lock nut and a spacer between so the foam would still fold flat and a piece of 150 lb Dacron line on the bottom of the U to keep that from spreading and from going flat. Some foam pipe insulation on the top parts and two of them hold my 55# rocket. The part with the highest stress is the line holding the bottom pieces from spreading too far. The cheap 1/4" non-welded chain just spread apart.

Very elegant!

View attachment 312234

I knew that had to be your house when I saw the Packers sign in the window.

I use 1" pvc. Holds my in-progress rocket that will weigh 50+ lbs with not issues. The legs are each 12".Put it on a folding table and use rubber tape on the bottom. . No sliding.I've been eyeing these, though for the utility. Use them as seats when not at a launch. I love the pouch on them. Can never have enough places to store baubels during launch day.$16 at amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016SF1NG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20View attachment 311827
I looked at the pouch as another place to forget where I put that one thing that I really need at the moment I most need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very elegant!

Handeman,
That's a very elegant solution. :)

Thanks.... I don't know how elegant those are, but they work quite well and what I like best is they fold pretty flat and are easy to store. Of course if you made one U much wider then the other and put the smaller inside the wider one when you drilled the pivot holes they could be really flat, but I found it easier to make the U the same size and only have to adjust the spacer for the size of the foam.

Nice simple design..........but more importantly..what kind of rocket is that?

I started building something last night, but came up short on supplies. Will rectify today and post something over the weekend.

Lord have mercy, I just started reading this post and thought the original poster was talking about a launch pad. I was going nuts thinking that you all were insane! Who would be stupid enough to build a launch pad for a 65 pound rocket out of 1 inch diameter PVC pipe. The further I read, the more I realized that there was some serious mass psychosis going on..... Then I saw the pic of the folding camp stool..... DOH!!!!!

Now I can barely stay upright to keep typing. You guys are KILLING ME! I'm almost ROFLMBO! LOL! That's the best joke I've heard today!

Thanks guys. I apparently really needed some humor today!

Brad the "It was too serious of a day so far" "Rocket Rev.," Wilson

Not all PVC is created equally. I used 1" furniture grade PVC and fittings for my stand, and it will easily take and 8" 100lb rocket, which I plan to have on it. They claim that it is 5X stronger than PVC plumbing-grade pipe. I used rubber feet that are designed for walkers which were a perfect fit and I sourced some very soft rubber tubing that I heated then with a mild soapy solution slid over the areas that hold the rocket. The stand works amazing, it dissembles for transport, it is very sturdy, fits three rockets at a time and the rubber tubing provides a very positive grip on the airframe without any concern to damaging the paint job. I have a parts list somewhere and can shoot you a pic if you're interested.

As a resource here is a link the the furniture grade PVC pipe, it is not cheap though! https://formufit.com/collections/1-...n-schedule-40-furniture-grade-pvc-pipe-5-feet

We put 50+lb ARLISS M's on stands made from 3/4" schedule 80 PVC all the time. No problem.

IMAG0311.jpg

Back