Kit Suggestion?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Putting this here, because it might be "LPR", it might be "MPR", it could be "Techniques" ... :smile:

I want/need to learn about the dreaded paper transitions; specifically, I'm looking for a kit that has a paper boat tail/tail cone; the specific requirement, though, that makes it complicated, is I want something where the fins are mounted to/through the tailcone (i.e. V2, [Improved] Orion, BB2 not counting the funky "wasp waist", some versions of the Aerobee I've seen, etc), rather than having the boat tail behind the fins (Bullpup, Hawk, etc.)

So, does anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer 24mm or 18mm power, but even 29mm would work. Getting into the higher end of MPR, I'd be inclined to just go with plastic/fiberglass.

As I'm writing this, I realize there are probably a few TLP kits that would do ... It looks like the Quest Tomahawk does this, but I'm not clear if it's OOP ... (Of course, it's entirely possible that I'm a moron. :wink:)

Thanks

I'd try cloning the Estes Pro Series Patriot, or (if you can find the nosecone like I did on Ebay) their AQM-37 Jayhawk.

the problem w/ the patriot is that the fins don't attach to the boat tail. I would suggest the Wac Corporal...but one would have to scratch build it as none of the kits (that I have seen) has a boat tail.
Rex
edit
Madcow does have a nice Jayhawk, it is a bit pricy though.

Last edited:
I would suggest a multiple of TLP kits.. most have a tail cone. Most have the little 'Nose Cone 'hat'.. Not sure about transitions though..

Have you looked thru the 'paper rocketry' section. You'll probably find one or two there that fit you needs (and budget!)

Fliskit's 'L-13' Has a tail cone.. Or the MAkO.. Or even the Thunderbird. Has a bunch of paper cones & tail-pipes to make.. And, the Nantucket Sound is one BIG transition!

This is going to drive me nuts! RedRiverRocketry used to make a kit that would fit the bill, and I can't remember what it was called! I even have one (unflown) awaiting repair. It has transitions, cones, fins attached to transitions - all that you ask for and more.

Aha! Redstar! https://www.rocketreviews.com/redstar---red-river-rocketry.html

Now, finding one will probably be a bit of a challenge...

A couple of the Squirrel Works sci-fi kits feature paper transitions but don't meet your other criteria:

Interstellar Probe

interstellarprobe.jpg

https://www.squirrel-works.com/catalog/probe/probe.html

Liberator

liberator.jpg

https://www.squirrel-works.com/catalog/liberator/liberator.html

...and lots of fiddley bits. :)

Fliskits Mako ?

mako.jpg

https://www.fliskits.com/products/rocketkits/kit_detail/mako.htm

A.C.M.E. Spitfire

View attachment 285296

https://www.fliskits.com/products/01prod_fs.htm

The Launch Pad Gabriel III

Launch_Pad_K010_Gabriel_III.jpg

https://www.erockets.biz/launch-pad-flying-model-rocket-kits-k010-gabriel-iii/

Last edited:
If you truly want to experience the Hades that is balsa fins surface glued to a paper boat tail then TLP is for you. I have built the Gabriel and just finished the HARM. You can also have a lot of fun with paper transitions on the Pershing 1a and the chunky Bull Pup 12B which also has a witches hat, but the fins are North of the big tail shroud. With good technique you can make them really strong but they will eventually break. An easy field repair and they are back in the air quickly, much to the sh-grin of TLP haters.

And who can forget the infamous Quest X-30! Just few it again last launch on a C6 3. The top men kind of groaned but I thought it had pretty good flight performance. Is Performance Hobbies still trying to sell them for $5? I think next time I will go with a D10.

The Nantucket Sound with the small fin option is just nuts. Constant fin repair until they have all been CA reset once. Better to break and rebuild during construction. Same for the army men glued to the top if you are in to that sort of thing.

Edith Keeler 2.jpg0906131228.jpg0906131230.jpg0906131230b (2).jpg

Last edited:
I'll second the vote for TLP Kits, but you can start making transitions for free with Payloadbays transition tool.
I must have printed 15-20 in the past week to use and try for different things.

Even if you get a TLP or other kit, just make copies of all the paper cones/transitions before you do anything.
That way you can screw a few up or try different techniques and always just print another.

Last edited:
Thanks, all, for the advice. I guess maybe I wasn't completely clear: the main reason I wanted a kit rather than bashing, cloning, etc, was that I'm very lacking in confidence in how to make sure that the tail cone "works", so, I was hoping for a kit that would give me semi-dummy-proof instructions.

I've got Tim van Milligan's "Model Rocket Design and Construction" which has a section on it ... I've read *lots* about it, just scared to actually do it...

Fliskits' Spitfire. It's got fins attached to a tail cone, and it's just complicated enough to be seriously fun to build. I'm planning on doing a build thread when I finish my current rocket (Zooch Soyuz).

take a look at the apogee peak of flight #349; https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter349.pdf for simplified shroud instructions. for something to practice on, rocket reviews rocsim library I believe has the Estes Sprint, import this into Open Rocket. chose the export function. from there you have the option of exporting the transition as a pdf file from which you can print out how ever many practice shrouds you would like :)(regular printer paper works well for this).
Rex

Fliskits Cougar 660.

cougar660.jpg

Inexpensive ($11.95 MSRP), has tailcone with fins attached.

Fliskits' Spitfire. It's got fins attached to a tail cone, and it's just complicated enough to be seriously fun to build. I'm planning on doing a build thread when I finish my current rocket (Zooch Soyuz).

Finally we got a Zoocher in the mix. Build any of the R 7 line and you paper rolling skills will be put to the test. Ask yourself, do you have the Right Stuff to roll those boosters, can you man up to ant scale?

A Dr Zooch Soyuz will give you all the wrap practice you could possibly stand. You also get the added bonus of gluing the fins directly to the paper wraps.

20150920_204240.jpg

20151103_194229.jpg

Last edited:
Zooch Soyuz and Zooch Saturn 1b....both will have you rolling the booster tanks out of paper...both are a blast to build!
000_1227a.jpg

Thanks, all, for the advice. I guess maybe I wasn't completely clear: the main reason I wanted a kit rather than bashing, cloning, etc, was that I'm very lacking in confidence in how to make sure that the tail cone "works", so, I was hoping for a kit that would give me semi-dummy-proof instructions.

I've got Tim van Milligan's "Model Rocket Design and Construction" which has a section on it ... I've read *lots* about it, just scared to actually do it...

That's exactly why you should print some for free!!!

I like 110# Cardstock for them, as it is readily available at walmart for like $5 for 100 8.5"x11" sheets.

Never! Balsa is way too heavy for the back end of a true LPR bird. Plastic is too heavy. Carbon fiber is. . . well that would be so cool I guess it would work. Paper is the ultimate model rocket making material. Build them light, build them strong!

This^^^^

They are incredibly easy to make when you get the hang of it, and like me, you will be surprised at how rigid they can be made with thin CA or finishing epoxy, not to mention a layer of lightweight glass cloth, which even on a 2.6" diameter cone only adds a couple of grams.

TAIL CONES and WEIGHTS 2002-12-31 007.jpg
Glassed Cone Gammon 1.5oz. 2002-12-31 001.jpg
GammonTail Cone Glassed 2002-12-31 001.jpg

GammonTail Cone Glassed 2002-12-31 003.jpg

WeightOfGlassedFinCan 2002-12-31 004.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta say the Zooch Shuttle and Zooch Lifting body are a real blast! Great little gliders to watch soar around and just a fun rocket to build!

I posted open rocket plans and build thread for a BT-50 BB2 in the scratch built section. That has a paper tail cone that the fins partially mount to. Pretty straightforward and you don't have to do the 23+ wraps that the Soyuz has you do.

Back