Centuri - Chuter Two (KC-16 or #5076) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foamy

Reaction score
The nose cone that comes in the kit is not a faithful reproduction of the original 'Chuter II's, so I didn't worry too much when I added strakes to the fins on this one—kinda like the Payloader II's, but a bit longer.

For some reason, this was a hard model to photograph.

Last edited:
Helluva nicely done kit. I would think more people would chime in on your super clean execution. I was kicking around getting this kit; now, seeing yours, I want one. Well done:D

Hey, thanks. It was a good kit and a nice build (for me, at any rate). Having it to do over again, I probably would just build it stock and/or get the original style nose cone. I did that fin thing on a whim.

The nose cone that comes in the kit is not a faithful reproduction of the original 'Chuter II's, so I didn't worry too much when I added strakes to the fins on this one—kinda like the Payloader II's, but a bit longer.

ChuterII.png

For some reason, this was a hard model to photograph.

Was this a Centuri kit or a clone from another company?

Welcome to the Centuri Chuter Two (KC-16 or #5076) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri Chuter Two (KC-16 or #5076) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Chuter Two: KC-16 or #5076
Estes: Chuter Two: #3009

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri Chuter Two (K-16 or #5076) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Chuter 2, Chuter II, Chuter Two

K-16 or #5076

Introduced: 1967
Final Year: 1971
Designer:

Type: Payload
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 18.5"
Diameter: 0.908"
Span:
Weight: 1.0 oz

Mfg. Description: A terrific high performance bird! This sleek-trim model is an excellent starter kit and a challenging one for the experienced pro. The 3" long cone capsule will carry your insect or instrument payload to well over 1500 feet altitude. The Chuter-Two contain 2 colorful parachutes - - one to recover the cone capsule and the other to recover the main body. (Centuri 1967 Catalog)

=====

1968 Catalog text identical to 1967 Catalog

=====

A terrific high performance bird! This sleek-trim model is an excellent starter kit and a challenging one for the experienced pro. The 3" long cone capsule will carry your insect or instrument payload to well over 1500 ft. altitude. The CHUTER-2 contain two colorful parachutes - - one to bring back the payload capsule, and one to return the main body. (Centuri 1969 Catalog)

=====

A real high performance bird, this sleek model is an excellent starter kit. The CHUTER 2 features a 3" long capsule to carry your payloads to lofty altitudes. The CHUTER 2 includes two colorful parachutes - one to bring back the payload capsule and one to return the main body - safely. (Centuri 1971 Catalog)

centuri-chuter%202-1967%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1967 Catalog
centuri-chuter%202-1968%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1968 Catalog
centuri-chuter%202-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1969 Catalog
centuri-chuter%202-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1971 Catalog

centuri-chuter%202-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Was this a Centuri kit or a clone from another company?

It's an Estes re-do of the Centuri version. They kept the name and same styling, but gave it a conical nose cone. I don't know why.

By the way... you do a bang-up job on this gallery and I really appreciate it. It's my favorite place to visit at TRF. Thanks!

Helluva nicely done kit. I would think more people would chime in on your super clean execution. I was kicking around getting this kit; now, seeing yours, I want one. Well done:D

How'd this one get by me? Good looking build and rocket.

It's an Estes re-do of the Centuri version. They kept the name and same styling, but gave it a conical nose cone. I don't know why.

By the way... you do a bang-up job on this gallery and I really appreciate it. It's my favorite place to visit at TRF. Thanks!

Thanks.

I appreciate the kind words.

Estes Chuter Two (#3009) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

Chuter Two

Introduced: 2010
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 18.5"
Diameter: 0.98"
Span:
Weight: 1.2 oz

Mfg. Description: DESC

estes-chuter%20two-2010%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2010 Catalog

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
How'd this one get by me? Good looking build and rocket.
Hey, thanks B. When I get a finished one, I just slip it in the gallery.

Speaking of finishes, that is one of my better ones, though, you can't tell from the photo. I need better photography skills and/or a better camera. I refuse to retouch any rocket photos (meaning the rocket itself)—I will, quickly play with the backgrounds when/if I feel the inclination or I feel the original background detracts too much from the rocket. Nothing very heavy or serious.

Last edited:
I got one of these in the Estes "box o' kits"...always liked the Centuri version as a kid, not sure why I never bought one. The fin planform is attractive to me, for some reason, and like foamy, adding the strakes like the PLII would be cool, but I stuck with the stock kit.

DSC_5671.jpg

Good looking rocket.

I kinda regret not building it stock—your's looks great! I may give it another shot one of these days; build it as it was planned and get a Centuri-shaped NC for it. In this world of swept-fin rockets, that design has a certain cache that's grown on me. Again, real nice work.

Good looking rocket.

I kinda regret not building it stock—your's looks great! I may give it another shot one of these days; build it as it was planned and get a Centuri-shaped NC for it. In this world of swept-fin rockets, that design has a certain cache that's grown on me. Again, real nice work.

Thanks, to me the fins are reminiscent of the Cherokee-D another of my favs...

I missed the Chuter-Two on the first go-round with the Estes sale, so I had to wait until the Easter sale to pick a couple up. This is a great looking take on an old Centuri bird. Not an exact replica, but still worth a look.

The black stripe decals fit over the fins just right so I thought they looked better as racing stripes there, instead of all black fins.

Then I added skulls, crossed pistols and black flames as custom laser decals. Crossed pistols, get it? "Shooter Two?" No? :)

Chuter2 (1).jpgChuter2 (2).JPGChuter2 (3).JPGChuter2 (4).jpg

And everything looks better with skulls and black flames! :point:

Last edited:
image.jpg

This Chuter Two is also a SPEV (spare paint elimination vehicle) finishing up some rattle cans left over from other stuff. In order to fit the Estes altimeter in the payload section I would have to cut off part of the bottom of the nose cone to make room, just a tad too short for it.

Last edited:
20160305_094256.jpgSnapshot 2 (5-21-2016 9-11 PM).png
This is my Chuter-2. On the maiden flight I lost the "payload section" despite the 3 inch spill hole. . Estes ran out of these just days before I places a bunch of orders for new rockets. If I ever do get a hold of another I will paint it with the recommended paint scheme and tie the shock cord to the loop for a more standard and safer recovery and just have a back up 12 inch chute.

Here is a video of that launch. https://youtu.be/O5Bqmn_6UBg

IMG_3753_crop.jpg

This is the Estes version from the 2013 Estes sale.

Attachments

• IMG_3755_small.jpg
    IMG_3755_small.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 0
Back