N Korea dream, the worlds nightmare

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're freaking crazy! That's what's wrong with them.

umm...kay...

So they're going to destroy America with a little smashed flat space shuttle?? Hmmm...

I like one of the comments posted under the vid on youtube--

If these people don't make missiles better than they make videos, they're screwed...

The other thing is, yeah, they can get a shot or two off at us, sure... maybe even a handful. Who knows, maybe 1 or 2 will even hold together long enough to actually make it to US soil...

Then about four minutes later, Pyongyang will be under a million degree fireball 3 miles wide... and they'll never see it coming... the rest of N. Korea will follow seconds later...

So rest easy there tiny sleeper... If it happens you'll never wake up...

Later! OL JR :)

umm...kay...

So they're going to destroy America with a little smashed flat space shuttle?? Hmmm...

I like one of the comments posted under the vid on youtube--

If these people don't make missiles better than they make videos, they're screwed...

The other thing is, yeah, they can get a shot or two off at us, sure... maybe even a handful. Who knows, maybe 1 or 2 will even hold together long enough to actually make it to US soil...

Then about four minutes later, Pyongyang will be under a million degree fireball 3 miles wide... and they'll never see it coming... the rest of N. Korea will follow seconds later...

So rest easy there tiny sleeper... If it happens you'll never wake up...

NK is nutz, but I think us making them a fireball will upset China a tad. That is the real issue.

NK is nutz, but I think us making them a fireball will upset China a tad. That is the real issue.

Probably, but if they take the first shot, it'll be their last...

China IS more problematical, but OTOH, we have enough nukes to give them a really bad day... sure they have ICBM's, SLBM's, and bombers... but would they really commit national suicide to defend a NK that went off the deep end and tried to start WWIII with the USA?? I have my doubts...

It's not 1950 anymore...
If China risks a nuclear war with the US, it will be for their OWN reasons and national interests... not because some idiot in NK decided to lob a low yield nuke at the US with a first generation ICBM for no good reason...

PS. North Korea enjoys stirring the pot. The more panicky they make the US population and leadership, the more advantages they can extract from negotiation... I read a book awhile back about the nonproliferation negotiations between NK and the Clinton Administration during his tenure... which was subsequently scuppered by Bush Jr... the basic premise is that their nuclear program was basically leveraged to get as much foriegn aide and compromise from the US as they possibly could... it served their purposes the that US was building a massive power plant for them and providing food aide and other concessions in an attempt to get them to "bargain away" their nuclear weapon development project. IOW, they played us for fools. When Bush Jr. wouldn't go along with it anymore, they had no choice but to continue work on their program, hoping that they could leverage more concessions from us at some point, or, failing that, get a nuclear weapon and thus get them recognition as a "nuclear power" and thus put them in a more powerful position... which is exactly what they did...

Saber rattling is a very old game...

later! OL JR :)

Yeah NK got by on the threats for food / supplies for too long.

China can cause problems just through not selling us the cheap goods we are so used to. Not in their interest either, but it would really hurt us on electronics.

Another real danger is famine. The peasants and working class are reportedly on near starvation diets. A problem like that could create all kinds of very bad scenarios.

From my reading of the situation N. Korea has conducted two nuclear bomb tests and from our observations and satellite readings they both failed. Neither bomb went KaBoom!! Best guess is the core was either non-symmetrical, not refined/pure enough or perhaps the sequences of explosions that are used to implode the pit were off-synch. What they got was a pulse of Gamma and X-Ray some hard neutron emissions and then the pit generated enough heat to melt itself without going supercritical.

China is getting tired of N. Korea’s shenanigans so even if N. Korea should happen to have the means to do something outstandingly stupid, they might just find themselves without any support from that quarter.

What we are seeing from N. Korea is what we have always seen from this nation ever since the end of the Korean War. The posture and bloviate and threaten until we give them enough food to stave off mass starvation; I mean a country’s population can only go so far with “Rat Helper”.

The risk of China refusing to sell us cheap electronics is basically the risk that electronics companies might have to set up shop in the US and provide mid paying jobs. I for one am willing to forgo 600Hz TV for just a bit longer, though I'd be in trouble looking for my Milwaukee and Craftsman tools. NK will learn soon enough that there is a thing called "political capital" and you just don't go around acting like some loudmouth in a locker room if you want to maintain the slightest semblance of credibility. Korean spring, perhaps?

N Korea isn't a real threat to the U.S. This is the kind of bluster that they always do when they want aid from the rest of the world. it's our own fault for rewarding bad behaviour in the past. The real threat is to South Korea, if they were to make a strike on the south we would be bound by treaty to react, it could easily escalate from that point. Japan is also at a higher risk than the U.S. but I think the Japanese could handle it without too much help from the U.S.

If the N Koreans are working in concert with Iran they could do the bomb testing in N Korea without Iran tipping their hand as to having had a successful test. That kinda defeats the point of having a nuclear deterrent though.

This video isn't really meant for external consumption at all; the regime uses jingoism and spittle-flecked rants to keep its own folk angry and resentful. A constant faux war footing justifies the "military first" policy.

Think of the "Three Minute Hate" sessions depicted in Orwell's 1984. Halls full of miserable functionaries raising their fists and hissing as a propaganda video decries the crimes of regime's foreign enemy and the designated internal traitor-figure.

The DPRK "space program" serves a similar purpose. There is no way they could produce enough reliable missiles to have any kind of deterrent beyond the "crazy mofo" level. But a few shots of a missile lifting off is enough to convince the people that the regime that they're actually "sacrificing" food and electricity and consumer goods for something noble.

I'm told there's an animated cartoon series showing the amazing adventures of the current pudgy figurehead. That should be good for a laugh!

North Korea is run by a strange little man with a Napoleon Complex. He does crazy whacko things to get attention. Like most dictators he is incredibly smart and knows how to manipulate people. Do not underestimate this man. Does he think he can attack the U.S. and survive? Highly unlikely. StefanJ got it right in my opinion.

I heard an interesting discussion on NPR about NK and China. Supposedly, China prefers having NK with an unstable leader far more than they would want a unified Korea next door that was an ally of the U.S. The situation is essentially the same thinking that the Russians used with all of their satellite states when they were the Soviet Union. Russia had (China has) a buffer between itself and their rivals.

Well, this is interesting . . . one reported translation claims that the "US in flames," in the context of the video, wasn't the result of an attack by North Korea, but a civil war! Which would lead to the unification of Korea under the north's benign rule because the corrupt puppet regime of the south wasn't getting support from Uncle Sam.

Of course, in reality the South, outside of a few student radicals, wants nothing to do with the North. Their robust economy would go to propping up the hungry north and its crumbling infrastructure.

My wife is XXXXXX. Her XXXXXXXXXr has made three clandestine missionary trips across the border and has escaped back each time. She is yearing to go again.

As a pastor, I applaud her faith and her missionary zeal. As her XXXXXXXXX, I am appalled that she would chance it yet again. She barely got out last time.

Last edited:
I am honestly not that concerned about North Korea. They simply do not have the resources to build an advanced enough rocket to make it on US Soil. Our missile defense system will take out anything they launch. Their aircraft are so out dated that they wouldn't even be able to get with in 500 miles of US coast line.

My XXXXXXXXX is XXXXXXXXX. Her XXXXXXXXXX has made XXXXXXXXX clandestine missionary trips across the border and has escaped back each time. She is yearing to go again.
As a pastor, I applaud her faith and her missionary zeal. As her XXXXXXXXXX, I am appalled that she would chance it yet again. She barely got out last time.

Totally awesome, John, and very prayer-worthy intel! OTOH though, in an age of almost universal cyber oversight that's also just the sort of info that could get someone in trouble in, uh, "some countries".

"For him who has ears to hear, let him hear"... and then consider editing out certain details in his post.;)

Totally awesome, John, and very prayer-worthy intel! OTOH though, in an age of almost universal cyber oversight that's also just the sort of info that could get someone in trouble in, uh, "some countries".

"For him who has ears to hear, let him hear"... and then consider editing out certain details in his post.;)

Point taken.

I am honestly not that concerned about North Korea. They simply do not have the resources to build an advanced enough rocket to make it on US Soil. Our missile defense system will take out anything they launch. Their aircraft are so out dated that they wouldn't even be able to get with in 500 miles of US coast line.

Sure, sure but they don't have to reach U.S. soil to embroil us in a regional or even global conflict, nor do they need long range missiles or atom bombs. North Korea is a global threat because they are a threat to South Korea which is now a sizeable contributer to the world economy. NK also represents a threat to Japan.

The concerns lie in whether or not the leadership of NK are crazy enough to pull the trigger on conflict with the south. At some point you have worry if they buy into their own propaganda or if they really know what their true position in the world really is. Either way it makes them a danger to world peace because in one scenario they believe themselves to be invincible and in the other scenario they have very little to lose. I would hope that the military leadership knows the score and limits itself to the occasional sabre rattling. The other real concern is that the people will eventually rise up Syria style and drive the leadership to desperate moves.

Sure, sure but they don't have to reach U.S. soil to embroil us in a regional or even global conflict, nor do they need long range missiles or atom bombs. North Korea is a global threat because they are a threat to South Korea which is now a sizeable contributer to the world economy. NK also represents a threat to Japan.

The concerns lie in whether or not the leadership of NK are crazy enough to pull the trigger on conflict with the south. At some point you have worry if they buy into their own propaganda or if they really know what their true position in the world really is. Either way it makes them a danger to world peace because in one scenario they believe themselves to be invincible and in the other scenario they have very little to lose. I would hope that the military leadership knows the score and limits itself to the occasional sabre rattling. The other real concern is that the people will eventually rise up Syria style and drive the leadership to desperate moves.

I agree to some extent. How ever I believe we do have some missile defense in that area. If push came to shove china would let North Korea go down. Do you really think China is going to sacrifice it's economy for the dump that North Korea is.

If china lost its trade with America it would lose its coal imports. Coal is what powers china right now and with out it their factories would not operate.

That said North Korea can't produce enough fuel to operate its military for more then a few weeks if not days at best.

I honestly view the drug wars in Mexico and South America as a bigger threat to world peace. I just do not believe China would allow North Korea to do something so foolish.

Last edited:
I for one do not feel threatened by North Korea based on the knowledge of where they stand today.....all i see is some sabre waving and, a crazy dream created by a very disillusioned soul.....

Well if Kim can have a "dream" maybe i can spin a "tale"........

Knock....Knock.....

Come in....

Ah yes Kim, the reason i've called you here today to the Principal's Office is that i need to discuss something with you before next weeks Parent Teacher Conferences begin.
Ever since you came to our.....mostly quiet and, humble Elementary School.....things have begun to get out of hand....young man.

First off some of the Playground Monitors have reported that you seem to spend your recess standing in the middle of the sandbox waving a large stick in the air.......While most of the other students do not seemed to be afraid.....they largely seem to be unamused with your flagrant display of bravado.....

I'd like to quote a famous British Poet named Peter......
Oh....you don't like the British?
Young man....The British have done MANY great things for our society......They gave us the Beatles, English Muffins, Took Madonna away for a short period of time......and, best of all they gave us our new home.....as a matter of fact as they sailed back to England they waved back and, wished us the best of luck!
Now, getting to my poetry lesson.....the lines i will quote are.....

"Dressing up in costumes....Playing silly games...Hiding out in tree tops...Shouting out rude names.....If looks could kill....they probably will....In games without frontiers....War without tears......" Now in this poetry we find that the French phrase of "Jeux sans Frontieres" is inserted to back up the English "Games without frontiers....."

Oh.....you don't like the French either?

*Sigh* The French have also given our society many great contributions......Such as French Bread, French Toast, The B**w-job.....etc...
Whats not too love about the French?

Now, in getting to some of your Teachers.....I'm starting to get some interesting feedback also.

Your Science Teacher Mr. von Braun says here that you made a small rocket last week that flew rather erratically into the concession stand of the Baseball Diamonds thus leveling the building......
I can assure you that its replacement will be coming out of your future lunch money young man!

Your Chemistry Teacher Mr. Fermi....states that earlier this week that you and our foreign exchange student from Iran "Mahmoud" had a *little explosion* in his lab which reminded him of a "Taco Bell, bad Bean Burrito...aftershock Fart."

Last but, not least is Mr. Andersen....
Yes, your teacher....formally from Guam.....

Oh, you don't like Guam either?

Mr. Andersen states here....."I'd like to send my four sons over to this kids house to wreak havoc.....on his yard...."

The picture on the wall behind me?

That's a picture of me....twenty five years ago....when i was in the Air Force....

You don't like the United States Air Force......ok.....

Well, young man...i spent many years working on a missile called the Minuteman 3.....It is what we call an "Inter Continental Ballistic Missile."

Could it reach where?

Oh yes, i'm VERY sure it could reach "Pingpongtable" or wherever you came from.......You see there are people here in this country that feel that power like this should be used to take care of "situations" that may bother us from time to time.

Personally, i see no reason why 3 million people should reach 10,000 degrees fahrenheit in 1/1000 of a second over "stick waving."

You see its both a blessing and, a curse that we have the ability to do that but, with great restraint and, diplomacy....maybe the world can solve all of its issues without...."waving sticks" in the air from time to time..........I'd like to believe that young man......

Now before i sit down with your mother next week and, have the same discussion i've had here with you today......May i suggest that you go home and, plant a garden? Clean your room.....then clean it again till it looks nice........Read a good book.....kiss a girl....ANYTHING to take your mind off this aggression that has recently come over you.....

One last thought i would like to relay would be to stay low-key with Mr. Andersen......I'm sure that he wasn't kidding about his *four* sons and, in his *conventional* wisdom.......IF worse comes to worse...... I think that they would come for you......."Like a thief in the Night."

You are excused young man......no go back to class.

Ken may have been spot-on.

The DPRK has elite showcase schools where the neatly uniformed kids learn programming and animation and such. And learn musical instruments, and dance, and other "showcase" skills that look good at the public pageants used to impress tourists and other members of the elite. It's a kind of sad "look what WE'VE done!" that is directed mostly at themselves.

A few years back I read a great graphic novel called "Pyongyong," by the artist Guy Delisle. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyongyang_(comics)) He stayed in the city a few weeks supervising a team of animators doing work for a French studio. He went on the carefully scheduled standard tours, which included a visit to the big, underground museum where they paid tribute to Kim Il-Sung.

In addition to "tribute" from various countries around the world, there were framed pages from the New York Times lauding the Great Leader. Only they weren't ARTICLE from the New York Times. They were paid advertisements that the North Korean government took out for the express purpose of having a tribute in the New York Times to put in the museum!

Sad. Creepy. Dangerous. But not so dangerous that we lose sight of the fact that the DPRK would probably like nothing more than to be attacked.

South Korea final destruction? (Surprised this wasn't posted to this thread yet...)

[video]https://grab-media.com/premium-videos/4949693[/video]

Back