Shock cord mounting in 38mm MD...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccolvin968

Reaction score
Need some advice on this...
Since there is no motor mount or centering ring to mount it to how do I do this?
I'm flying CTI casings... Is there any way to plug it and put an anchor point on it?
I found the forward closures made by aerotech... Can I use it in my CTI motors and casings?
I can't seem to find a CTI threaded forward closure.
Any help is appreciated!

I'm going to be friction fitting the motor, so could I just mount the MD retainer as high up as a 6g XL casing and fly the friction fit motor as planned?
Seems like a sound idea...

Side question... how am I supposed to fit different casing sizes in?

I usually mount the MD mount at the location that lets me put the longest motor available in the rocket. Shorter motors are dealt with by using short threaded spacers.

There are other ways of dealing with this too. As someone suggested, just use regular motor retention (aft) or something (I won't mention friction fitting) and use the adaptor at the top for only the shock cord attachment.

The second and third would be the ones I would do...
So the third one just uses an empty BP charge well? Super easy!
Why bother cracking it open? You could just use it again right? SUPER CHEAP!! lol
That removable one that is held in by rivets or set screws is awesome!

So the third one just uses an empty BP charge well? Super easy!
Why bother cracking it open? You could just use it again right? SUPER CHEAP!! lol
That removable one that is held in by rivets or set screws is awesome!

No...not an old empty charge well.
Rather the new one on every reload.
I crack it with a hammer after flight...to easily remove the eye-b ...use on next new reload.

I would be apprehensive about re-using the forward closure after flight, the smoke has been burnt and possible damage to it. Only plastic. You could clean it up a bit fill cavity with epoxy & try to re-use.
Let us know how that goes.

I for one find it so simple/easy to do, sticking an E/B into new closure every use, only takes literally "5" minutes.:wink:

Good job Buckeye...keep those links for future use. You can be the "official" poster of minimum recovery hook-up, how to.

I have reposted those threads so many times over the years....seems like that Q, comes up every few months, after the cycle of new..... newbies arrive.

Good job Buckeye...keep those links for future use. You can be the "official" poster of minimum recovery hook-up, how to.

I have reposted those threads so many times over the years....seems like that Q, comes up every few months, after the cycle of new..... newbies arrive.

I learned from the best! Crazy Jim always has the simple, yet elegant, solution.

With all the MD madness going on now, the BH38 build should be a sticky. Maybe I will write up my own build thread - retroactively!

Back