Homemade Logo Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the built-up fillet technique. Pictures are attached.
For a first try I was very happy with the results. Like any new technique, it'll take a few tries to get it right.

I used the Carpenter's Wood Filler and thin CA to build up the fillets. I mixed the filler thicker (than I normally would for balsa grain filling) for the fillets. I didn't use the JB weld as the fillets weren't as wide and I didn't think it would need it to raise the height of the filler.
To compare the two, the upper fin (to the right) is a standard white glue fillet, the fin to the left is the built up fillet.

This is not the final finish for the model. I gave the fins a shot of white paint just to see the results.

Before anybody chimes in to remind me that these fillets aren't true scale on the Phoenix, I'm not concerned. I built this model to learn a new technique and I'm not going to enter it in any scale competitions.

Bradycross - Thanks for the great fillet idea!

BC fillets prepaint.jpg

BC fillets painted.jpg

Last edited:
I tried the built-up fillet technique. For a first try I was very happy with the results. Like any new technique, it'll take a few tries to get it right.

Bradycross - Thanks for the great fillet idea!

Aw, shucks. :blush: Glad you like it.

Back