National Sport Launch 2013! Pueblo Co.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shouldn't this Thread be better located in the National Events section?

Doug

I was just about to start a thread on this and low and behold there's already one.

Some thing came up and the banquet is NOT going to be at one of the Hotels. The NSL2013.org website will be updated very soon on the new location. For now I would like to add some info on what will be taking place during the banquet.

I've arranged to have hundreds of old Estes show models available for people to view before and after the Saturday Night Banquet, they may even be in the banquet room with us while we dine. Some of these model date back 40 years with the Cameroc Two stage model as just one example. I'll even have some of the new stuff I've designed these past couple years there for all to see as well. I'm sure I'll be able to dig up some other Old Estes stuff to show as well.

Bill Stine will be presenting a talk about his dads company Model Missiles Inc. He will also try to bring a few artifacts to display. I for one know very little about Model Missiles and look forward to learning about what I believe was the first model rocket company in the US.

Vern Estes will be presenting a talk as well. I could tell you what it was going to be about but what fun would that be.

John Boren

I was just about to start a thread on this and low and behold there's already one.

Some thing came up and the banquet is NOT going to be at one of the Hotels. The NSL2013.org website will be updated very soon on the new location. For now I would like to add some info on what will be taking place during the banquet.

I've arranged to have hundreds of old Estes show models available for people to view before and after the Saturday Night Banquet, they may even be in the banquet room with us while we dine. Some of these model date back 40 years with the Cameroc Two stage model as just one example. I'll even have some of the new stuff I've designed these past couple years there for all to see as well. I'm sure I'll be able to dig up some other Old Estes stuff to show as well.

Bill Stine will be presenting a talk about his dads company Model Missiles Inc. He will also try to bring a few artifacts to display. I for one know very little about Model Missiles and look forward to learning about what I believe was the first model rocket company in the US.

Vern Estes will be presenting a talk as well. I could tell you what it was going to be about but what fun would that be.

John Boren

John Thanks for clarifying about the banquet!

Some thing came up and the banquet is NOT going to be at one of the Hotels. The NSL2013.org website will be updated very soon on the new location.
John Boren

That's too bad, I already made my reservations. Any reason why it won't be at one of the hotels?

Doug

I really can't go into details, but lets just say the dinning accommodations didn't turn out to be what we needed. This same weekend a Huge Cross Country Track Meet is taking place in Pueblo and Hotel guest and banquet dinning rooms were very hard to come by.

John Boren

How about a having a NSL 2013 Stealth Rocket Drag Race at NSL 2013?
How many could we get into flight at the same time?
NSL 2013 Stealth Rocket 13mm Free Download:
https://tinyurl.com/NSL-2013-Stealth-Download
Design contributed by Art Applewhite Rockets (https://www.artapplewhite.com/)
in support of NSL 2013 (https://www.nsl2013.org/).
Print all rocket patterns at "Page Scaling: None", otherwise the motor won't fit properly. Use 110 lb cardstock or posterboard. 3.0 inches (7.6cm) high, 4 inch (10 cm) span, Weight – 0.2 oz (5 gm) - Recommended motor: A3-4T, A10-0, A10-3T, A10-PT.
Art Applewhite Rockets Stealth Rockets ascend rapidly and spinning as they leap skyward. They are very stable in flight, even in high winds. At apogee they flip over and descend slowly using aerobrake and helicopter recovery. Preparation is quick and easy and recovery is foolproof. These kits are intended for the rocketeer looking for a new challenge and something out of the ordinary. With their high visibility and dramatic ascent and recovery, they are real crowd pleasers. NO long walks to recover your rocket even on a windy day. Copying, Downsizing, Upsizing or any other unauthorized reproduction or alteration of any of this design is a copyright infringement and is both illegal and immoral and will not be tolerated. The user accepts all liablility for any property damage or personal injury resulting from the construction, transportation, use or misuse of this design and file.

How about a having a NSL 2013 Stealth Rocket Drag Race at NSL 2013?
How many could we get into flight at the same time?
NSL 2013 Stealth Rocket 13mm Free Download:
Design contributed by Art Applewhite Rockets (https://www.artapplewhite.com/)
in support of NSL 2013 (https://www.nsl2013.org/).
Print all rocket patterns at "Page Scaling: None", otherwise the motor won't fit properly. Use 110 lb cardstock or posterboard. 3.0 inches (7.6cm) high, 4 inch (10 cm) span, Weight – 0.2 oz (5 gm) - Recommended motor: A3-4T, A10-0, A10-3T, A10-PT.
Art Applewhite Rockets Stealth Rockets ascend rapidly and spinning as they leap skyward. They are very stable in flight, even in high winds. At apogee they flip over and descend slowly using aerobrake and helicopter recovery. Preparation is quick and easy and recovery is foolproof. These kits are intended for the rocketeer looking for a new challenge and something out of the ordinary. With their high visibility and dramatic ascent and recovery, they are real crowd pleasers. NO long walks to recover your rocket even on a windy day. Copying, Downsizing, Upsizing or any other unauthorized reproduction or alteration of any of this design is a copyright infringement and is both illegal and immoral and will not be tolerated. The user accepts all liablility for any property damage or personal injury resulting from the construction, transportation, use or misuse of this design and file.

I will build one, great excuse to fly my first tiny motor. Maybe inscribe a prayer on it for good flights and weather just like they do in Tibet.

I just wanted to remind everyone that Registrataion for this event is open at www.nsl2013.org.

The banquet will be held at Picasso Italian Grill. NSL will have the whole resturant to ourselves. This place is located about four miles from the Hotels. Next door will be a large vacant room where the Estes Display Models can be viewed before and after the dinner.

John Boren

I just wanted to remind everyone that Registrataion for this event is open at www.nsl2013.org.

The banquet will be held at Picasso Italian Grill. NSL will have the whole resturant to ourselves. This place is located about four miles from the Hotels. Next door will be a large vacant room where the Estes Display Models can be viewed before and after the dinner.

John Boren

The registration on the banquet isn't quite clear. I assume that you must register for the banquet separate from the rest of the event, but the cost isn't clear. It sort of looks like the first seat is free and then any additional seats is $25. Or are all seats $25? There are two selection boxes there and it isn't clear.

Thanks.

Steve

You must register for the banquet seperately and Every seat is $25.00.

John Boren

I'm going to NSL! Registered and everything! It will be my first one and excited to go. I will even be flying some rockets there too!

I have registered for the NSL.

The registration is straight-forward but if you want to add raffle tickets/T-shirt/banquet one has to make three differnet Paypal payments.

This seems a bit more involved then it needs to be.

Even so, I am looking forward to flying in Colorado come May! :D

Registered! Gotta arrange the cat-sitter, and make sure my 10 year old Accord will make the trip, but it's time for a pilgrimage to Penrose.

Any chance of a tour of Estes facilities?

Sorry but this could not be arrange, but there will be few hundred rocket display models that Estes has used for magazine images and show models for the past 40 years on display at the Banquet.

John Boren

Sorry but this could not be arrange, but there will be few hundred rocket display models that Estes has used for magazine images and show models for the past 40 years on display at the Banquet.

John Boren

No worries, John. Thanks very much for helping out with NSL! That's a tremendous amount of work...
Best wishes,
Will

Will there be any hybrid support at NSL?

Sorry, but NO is going to be the answer to this question unless of course you bring it. The only hybrid I've ever seen at our field never left the pad and I don't remember who it belonged to but it wasn't a club member. If I hear of anybody local bringing something out I'll post it in this thread.

John Boren

John,

Thank you for the reply. I didn't know if SCORE had and hybrid GSE. They are a rarity these days.

Edward

Ok, I've confirmed that all of the critical components of the COSROCS Massively Parallel Launch Complex (MPLC) are still available! This is the rig used at the 2003 LDRS and featured in the Discovery Channel Rocket Challenge program. See attached photo of the full set-up from LDRS. The MPLC can accommodate up to 256 rockets on the main platforms, and up to 288 with outboard launcher extensions.

So, don't build just one, build a dozen... Let's fill it up!

COSROCS MPLC at LDRS 2003.jpg

Last edited:
When planning a simultaneous launch of more than 10 model rockets, don't forget item 5 of the NAR model rocket safety code.

Launch Safety. I will use a countdown before launch, and will ensure that everyone is paying attention and is a safe distance of at least 15 feet away when I launch rockets with D motors or smaller, and 30 feet when I launch larger rockets. If I am uncertain about the safety or stability of an untested rocket, I will check the stability before flight and will fly it only after warning spectators and clearing them away to a safe distance. When conducting a simultaneous launch of more than ten rockets I will observe a safe distance of 1.5 times the maximum expected altitude of any launched rocket.

O. Lee James, III 15058 SR

Ok, I've confirmed that all of the critical components of the COSROCS Massively Parallel Launch Complex (MPLC) are still available! This is the rig used at the 2003 LDRS and featured in the Discovery Channel Rocket Challenge program. See attached photo of the full set-up from LDRS. The MPLC can accommodate up to 256 rockets on the main platforms, and up to 288 with outboard launcher extensions.

So, don't build just one, build a dozen... Let's fill it up!

View attachment 124088

Ok, I've confirmed that all of the critical components of the COSROCS Massively Parallel Launch Complex (MPLC) are still available!

I'm sorry but this isn't going to happen at NSL2013! You are more then welcome to load up the ten rack connected to the SCORE launch system and have a drag race with ten of these models but setting up a 256 rack system out in the "DRY" grass area area away from our gravel rock launch area, simply isn't going to happen period!

John Boren
SCORE club member

It was announced that the waiver is 12k agl and there is a night waiver of 8k agl on Sunday!

Doug,
Are you going to show some films? For those who have never seen one of Dougs films, he makes the greatest films ever. Flat out, bar none! The best rocketry films ever. Tim

Back