Help me remember my first launch pad?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi troops-

My vintage rocketry mojo isn't working today. I'm trying to remember the very first launch pad I had as a kid. It was attached directly to the top of a 6 volt lantern battery. I thought it was a Centuri thing but maybe MRC or MPC?

Bonus Internet points if you can scare up a picture. Thanks!

Hi troops-

My vintage rocketry mojo isn't working today. I'm trying to remember the very first launch pad I had as a kid. It was attached directly to the top of a 6 volt lantern battery. I thought it was a Centuri thing but maybe MRC or MPC?

Bonus Internet points if you can scare up a picture. Thanks!

See if you can find a 1975ish Centuri catalog, its in there and iirc it was orange, had a screw on the top to attach it to the screw post on the lantern battery and part of the unit acted as a carry handle.

Rich just beat me to it!
Centuri had the battery base idea first in the 1974 catalog:
https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/centuri74/74cena.html

Estes followed in 1976 with the simpler version:
https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/76est004.html

The original Centuri battery base launcher stood a bit taller on it's small end.
The great thing was the lead wires wrapped around the controller. The controller fit into the carrying handle.
The Estes launcher had the battery on it's side with loose lead wires.

I seen that too. It's just the controller.
I wish I had the money, I'd buy it just because I like the kind that has the car battery clips on it.
I really like one of Estes Originals. But every time I see one it's in bunch of other stuff I don't need or want and is way more than just the controller is worth.
But I ain't got no money anyways. I just keep an eye on things so if I ever get money I have an idea what the going price is for things.
Like SR-71 seam to be priced at $60 right now. A year ago I seen one go for over $162. And many close to or just over the $100 mark. Good to know these things when your in the market for something.

Back