THUNDERSTRUCK 2013 DRAG RACE

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what it sounds like to me to Jim. Either way Jim, I have a few 7600 skids ready for the show. You and me can have a skid race (as long as we are all ready at the same time, I can't see them saying no to a few impromptu races. I will bring some "booty" to add to the pot. I did like that idea. Gunna be a great launch either way. Looking forward to it.

I'm also up for this, and yes, with a big, bad 7.5" airframe!

I'm also up for this, and yes, with a big, bad 7.5" airframe!

As long as we can all be ready at the same time, I wouldn't think there will be an issue. That seems to be the biggest problems with drag races, not everyone ready at the same time and it holds up the launch.

As long as we can all be ready at the same time, I wouldn't think there will be an issue. That seems to be the biggest problems with drag races, not everyone ready at the same time and it holds up the launch.

High noon Saturday?

High noon Saturday?

Too soon to commit for a time for me. I say lets all meet up there and figure out what works best for us all. I would hate to commit to that time, work around that and find out that High Noon is the worst weather window.

[QUOIGRIFFIN;477e935]Too soon to commit for a time for me. I say lets all meet up there and figure out what works best for us all. I would hate to commit to that time, work around that and find out that High Noon is the worst weather window.

OK. I'll be there all day Fri and Sun, but leaving around 1pm on Sat.[/QUOTE]

We will work around that then. I can commit to that LOL!!

Too soon to commit for a time for me. I say lets all meet up there and figure out what works best for us all. I would hate to commit to that time, work around that and find out that High Noon is the worst weather window.

OK. I'll be there all day Fri and Sun, but leaving around 1pm on Sat.

BTW, my Mach Madness flight takes precedence weather-wise.

Last edited:
Hey y'all, I've updated the Competition page on the Thunderstruck website. Still awaiting final details from Darryl at WM KY for the Gizmo race, but it's there!

Hey y'all, I've updated the Competition page on the Thunderstruck website. Still awaiting final details from Darryl at WM KY for the Gizmo race, but it's there!

Isn't Dave just AWESOME or what? It's like having a Cray Supercomputer with arms and, legs at your disposal.....:lol:

Isn't Dave just AWESOME or what? It's like having a Cray Supercomputer with arms and, legs at your disposal.....:lol:

A cray cray super computer with limbs that also dispenses AP........I can't tell you how many times I have received great advise from Reese when I was super confused about something......

Ok,Here it is Wildman Kentucky drag race special. For $135 you get PRO54 4G case, aft closure,and K2045VMAX motor. Retail is $205.90 for a savings of $70.90.
Closest to 4500' wins a free PRO54 4G reload of choice. Limited number of entries so get in while supplies last. These will be delivered at the field.
Thank you in advance to all that want to play.
Darryl

Ooops Forgot to mention these will be flown in either the 5" Gizmo. If you don't have a Gizmo I will get you at 15% off.
Thanks,
Darryl

Yes Jason Gizmo or Jart. I guess I hit the send button before I read what I wrote.

Can I play with a PR Rascal? I left out the nose cone bulk plate so a 4 grain case just fits. I'll at least double the 4,500' but I'm ok with no chance of winning.

That's what it sounds like to me to Jim. Either way Jim, I have a few 7600 skids ready for the show. You and me can have a skid race (as long as we are all ready at the same time, I can't see them saying no to a few impromptu races. I will bring some "booty" to add to the pot. I did like that idea. Gunna be a great launch either way. Looking forward to it.
Count me in if I can get it finished in time, I am building a 8" diameter WASSERFALL scale rocket for this drag race flying on a CTI M1790SK, rocket was coming along good but hit some recent roadblocks on trying to get performance rocketry components (dam that Wildman black Friday sale) such as the two 8” nose cones needed for this (same cones as the GIZMO XL and GIZMO DD) and just some standard 8” diameter airframe filament fiberglass tubing which seems to have become unobtanium lately.
Putting in "Booty" is fine by me, are we still trying for the closet to 7,500 ft mark as at one time Mr. Wildman suggested earlier or what do you guys think?
Also what’s the issue with GUS the prez making this official? Sorry for this question but I’m new at this and don’t quite understand all the politics involved yet.

WASSERFALL_3.jpg

WASSERFALL_5.jpg

Last edited:
Ok,Here it is Wildman Kentucky drag race special. For $135 you get PRO54 4G case, aft closure,and K2045VMAX motor. Retail is $205.90 for a savings of $70.90.
Closest to 4500' wins a free PRO54 4G reload of choice. Limited number of entries so get in while supplies last. These will be delivered at the field.
Thank you in advance to all that want to play.
Darryl
Can I play with a scratch built jart? It is the same dimensions as the regular one.

Last edited:
Count me in if I can get it finished in time, I am building a 8" diameter WASSERFALL scale rocket for this drag race flying on a CTI M1790SK, rocket was coming along good but hit some recent roadblocks on trying to get performance rocketry components (dam that Wildman black Friday sale) such as the two 8” nose cones needed for this (same cones as the GIZMO XL and GIZMO DD) and just some standard 8” diameter airframe filament fiberglass tubing which seems to have become unobtanium lately.
Putting in "Booty" is fine by me, are we still trying for the closet to 7,500 ft mark as at one time Mr. Wildman suggested earlier or what do you guys think?
Also what’s the issue with GUS the prez making this official? Sorry for this question but I’m new at this and don’t quite understand all the politics involved yet.

Awesome project. Can't wait to see it.

Neat project. Can I ask how much nose weight you anticipate adding to the beast?

-Eric-

are going to hop into Le'-Challenger

Gus, did you get a new Mopar! ? :)

It may be too late for some, as many of you have your plans set, but I'll throw this out anyway. Besides, you get as many attempts as you want!
Maybe Manny beats all of you with a purpose built rocket made for an L-1400? Eeeh, Eeeehhh? :eyepop:

I'm going to set the bar here. Based on my own team effort as the "motor man" placing 2nd at the LDRS 27 Mach Madness Contest, I think my own prize requirements are within reason as I have high hopes for the performance of our top competitors.

Loki Research would like to sponsor a portion of the Farmageddon 2013 Mach Madness contest.

The following items 1-3 apply to anyone who competes in the Farmageddon 2013 Mach Madness contest using a Loki Research reload, commercial or otherwise (provided by me) for any validated* contest flight.

1) Break Mach 1.50 and receive 15% off your next purchase of any Loki Research product.

2) Place in the top 3, breaking Mach 1.75 and get an additional 15% on top of the 15% you got for breaking Mach 1.5 on your next purchase of any Loki Research product. (30% total)

3) Place 1st in the contest and get 30% of your next Loki Research purchase (assuming the winning flight meets requirements 1 & 2) AND receive a free replacement of the winning reload used in your flight.

4) Place 1st in the contest using any motor other than Loki Research and you will still recieve 25% off any Loki Research product.

* Validated flights must meet and fall within the full scope of the rules posted on the Thunderstruck 4 website. Disqualified flights are not accepted.
-Discounts are applied to retail prices only. Shipping charges may apply.
-All winners of items 2-4 will be determined once the validated (non-DQ) flight results are officially posted.
-Item 1 winners need only to have the Judge validate your velocity to me, if I am able to attend the launch.
-Only one winning flight per person for the above prizes.

GOOD LUCK!

P.S. David, feel free to add this to the TS website.

Depending on how much work I can get done over spring break, I might also be in for the Space Cowboy / 54mm minimum diameter drag race. I could either get a 3 grain motor for it or use the K2045 that I have.

Also, assuming that the sims say that it's ok and I can get the motor and hardware, would anybody be up for an L2300 drag race as well?

Depending on how much work I can get done over spring break, I might also be in for the Space Cowboy / 54mm minimum diameter drag race. I could either get a 3 grain motor for it or use the K2045 that I have.

Also, assuming that the sims say that it's ok and I can get the motor and hardware, would anybody be up for an L2300 drag race as well?

Brian,I have 3 complete 54/2550 motors, let me know if you wanna borrow one!!

I'm planning on the L2300 in my space cowboy. Game on!!

Neat project. Can I ask how much nose weight you anticipate adding to the beast?

-Eric-
Eric, Sounds like you are very well versed with similar rockets to be asking this, yes the nose weight needed is probably the biggest hurdle with this. For the Nose weight I'm thinking it’s sort of is similar to a V2 (In fact Von Braun and his merry gang designed the WASSERFALL rocket from a down scaled version of the V2 to be the first anti aircraft missile). In doing some research for a similar built V2 I’ve come up with this amount of ballast added to the nose cones : 6” scratch V2 used 6 lbs, 10” polecat V2 used 16 lbs, Performance rocketry 11.5” V2 used 20 to 30 lbs, so I’m thinking maybe around 10 to 12 lbs if I extrapolate this. Also for the Wildman Gizmo XL DD I built last year which is someone similar in size, with identical 98mm 4 grain motor I used about 9.5 LBS of nose cone ballast for a total nose cone weight of around 11.30 LBS and it flew straight as an arrow. The Gizmo XL DD weighed in about 60 lbs total with the loaded motor. But now I have the top canards to deal with and not sure at all how this will affect the CP. Yeah I know I need to RocKSim this but adding the canards to RocKSim is a little tricky and have not gotten this far yet. Hey anybody out there with any advice that has used large canards on big rockets on how it affected the CP and flight is welcome to chime in. Would be cool to get all the large V2’s out there and my WASSERFALL rocket to launch all at once for a German blitzkrieg.

Eric, Sounds like you are very well versed with similar rockets to be asking this, yes the nose weight needed is probably the biggest hurdle with this. For the Nose weight I'm thinking it’s sort of is similar to a V2 (In fact Von Braun and his merry gang designed the WASSERFALL rocket from a down scaled version of the V2 to be the first anti aircraft missile). In doing some research for a similar built V2 I’ve come up with this amount of ballast added to the nose cones : 6” scratch V2 used 6 lbs, 10” polecat V2 used 16 lbs, Performance rocketry 11.5” V2 used 20 to 30 lbs, so I’m thinking maybe around 10 to 12 lbs if I extrapolate this. Also for the Wildman Gizmo XL DD I built last year which is someone similar in size, with identical 98mm 4 grain motor I used about 9.5 LBS of nose cone ballast for a total nose cone weight of around 11.30 LBS and it flew straight as an arrow. The Gizmo XL DD weighed in about 60 lbs total with the loaded motor. But now I have the top canards to deal with and not sure at all how this will affect the CP. Yeah I know I need to RocKSim this but adding the canards to RocKSim is a little tricky and have not gotten this far yet. Hey anybody out there with any advice that has used large canards on big rockets on how it affected the CP and flight is welcome to chime in. Would be cool to get all the large V2’s out there and my WASSERFALL rocket to launch all at once for a German blitzkrieg.

Hi John,

The large forward fins pull the CP towards the nose quite a bit. I'm willing to offer input for what it's worth if you like. You may still have my email from prior to MWP-X (Gizmo XL talk); otherwise send me a PM or email via the forum. Our 11.5" V2 has ~30 lbs of ballast in the nose; it would've required significantly more had we gone with the Wasserfall version. You've got a great project there, though it certainly has some challenges:D

Hijack over; y'all have fun at Thunderstruck drag racing!

-Eric-

John.....you are always welcome to ask questions.....i will not hide....just been a LONG week at work and, wanted to explain.......

Two weeks ago during our January club meeting i had this discussion with the rest of the folks in attendance and, we determined to limit the number of "Officially Sanctioned" Drag Races for the event......When you look at a great event like Midwest Power...you will notice that they normally limit their contests to two....
First...The Farmageddon Mach Madness Event is here to stay.....That's a given....It fairly allows anyone from a NAR Jr. Level 1 to compete against an L3 flier on an EX "M" or "N" reload.....and, yes certain 29-38mm reloads are worthy of competing...

Second...The Lorraine D. Garrott Most Memorable Flight Award is unfortunately new this year due to the loss of our landowner.....It is ALSO a continuing effort by the club to carry out Mrs. Garrott's wishes that Children ALWAYS be allowed to learn and grow with us in this dynamic sport....It is also a continuation of efforts by MYSELF and, the overwhelming majority of our club to have sought out and, went the route of being self insured......

I have never been a father but, if you ANYONE asks me to turn away a child because its EX day at our field and, that's the way it is.....
I will refund your launch fees(Out of my pocket), point you west and, wish you a happy day.......

Thirdly...We knew Darryl Hankes had something AWESOME up his sleeve and, since it involves an easily obtainable rocket and, a simple L2 reload.....that if anyone (Level 1 Certified) was on the fence about this.....well, now would be the time to step to a NAR or TRA L2 Cert. attempt in style!

We are/where looking at the "Big Picture" of how many awards to create and, what to coordinate with the Vendors.....obviously Wildman Hobbies was ready to jump and, still may.

I/We have NO problem with anyone doing a side drag race coordinated with a vendor or not....Hey, that's what makes this sport fun.....whupping "The Hot-tub's A**" is quite a feat for anyone!

If you gentleman would still like to do a 7.5" drag race on Skids....please go ahead.....All i ask of any race is that the range does not tie up for too long but, have fun...That's what rocketry is all about!

If i sounded like a real Poop on this i have to say i should have been more concise about.....lets make it simple, fun and, most of all accessible to all in attendance from several different angles without making for only a choosen few with an inside edge...

Scott? Le-Challenger is staying (My 2009 SRT8). ;) Even though i am not 7'-9" like yourself;) thus requiring a more spacious "El Charge-E-Arrr" they were going to kill me on the trade in value....
I can put a supercharger on it, shift-kit and, Viper half shafts out back and, still Whup Timmy's Camaro for a small investment of time/money.....:rolleyes:

And John, nice WASSERFALL....i'm kind of partial to German Rockets! Don't know why...just am......:wink:

Gus, I agree with everything you said,so I will start another thread for the big skid drag. Leave this thread open for the more "respectable" events!! Gonna be a blast!!

John.....you are always welcome to ask questions.....i will not hide....just been a LONG week at work and, wanted to explain.......

Two weeks ago during our January club meeting i had this discussion with the rest of the folks in attendance and, we determined to limit the number of "Officially Sanctioned" Drag Races for the event......When you look at a great event like Midwest Power...you will notice that they normally limit their contests to two....:
Hi Gus, completely understand, can only imagine all the things involved in running a meet like Thunderstruck and what choices you needed make to keep it where it needs to be, really my hats off to you. I just was trying to clarify a few details so myself and others who were writing and reading on this thread about some of the drag races knew where they currently stood especially since time was starting to run short to get some of these large projects going. The M class Skidmark drag seemed to get a lot of interest here including some from the Wildman, and let face it would be awesome to see a group of these launching at once. Thanks again for your comments and hopefully we will be able to put together an “informal” M skiddy launch. From some others I have talked with just to put it out there we were thinking any 6 to 8 inch rocket on m class skidmark closet to 7,500 ft with maybe some private booty put in.

Back