Blast from the past!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amsterdam

Reaction score
My take on Estes Raven, a boost-glider.

I made a few deviations from the original plans.
>made entirely from 1/16th balsa. The best C grain I could get from the hobby shop
>used a bt-5 tube and nosecone
>accidentally glued the fins about a quarter inch too forward on the boom

IMG_1646.jpg IMG_1649.jpg

Glides off the hand really nice. First launch coming as soon as I get more 1/2a engines

Estes published the plans for free in 1964.

Anyone else built something using JimZ's database?

I've built quite a few designs from Jim's site. Mostly the Estes DOM designs. The most recent is the Orbital Transport Laboratory. I have a 3" version of it on the bench as we speak.

OT Lab.JPG

How many nose cones does that have?!?
It looks great. The kit definitely isn't as sleek as your version.

8 & 1/2 nose cones. This was from the original Estes DOM series HERE. The original was designed with a BT 55 and I took it to a BT 70. Every nose cone had to be turned except for 3 50K's I used on the bottom of the pods. The kit Estes offered, was a poor facimile of the original design. Semroc actually turned the original design into a kit shortly before they closed. They are intense to build.

Then I have these two. The Constellation up scaled to a BT 60 and that Astron Sprite upscale. I also have a bigger Sprite using BT 70.

DSCF2690.JPG 100_1182.jpg

I was gonna say the same thing! I like the name decal and color choice. Do you remember what brand of paint?

Im thinking of making this monstrosity next, probably another whimpy mini motor downscale but that's what I fly most.

The Newfoundland Space Tanker.

I like the choice on the Sprite name, looks like the old soft drink logo.

It kind of is. But the original logo was art work and not a font. I had to modify a similar font to make it look like the art work.

I was gonna say the same thing! I like the name decal and color choice. Do you remember what brand of paint?

Rustoleum Lime Green. The color of a bottle of Sprite + the lemon-lime flavor inspired the green I used.

Back