Adam Savage's "Tested" at BALLS 2017

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Drilling for water via a research motor static test at 10:48.

[video=youtube;S9Jvf5EzCGI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Jvf5EzCGI[/video]

That motor sounded awesome at T+1! Nice propellant!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

What was he trying to say about what happened to the flight as the motor burned?

Sometimes it helps to have the closed captions turned on.

He was saying something about how, as the fuel grains burned the center of gravity shifted and the fins were no longer adequate to maintain stable flight.

What I missed was how much money he lost in electronics, etc.

Sometimes it helps to have the closed captions turned on.

He was saying something about how, as the fuel grains burned the center of gravity shifted and the fins were no longer adequate to maintain stable flight.

What I missed was how much money he lost in electronics, etc.

I thought he said the CG shifted forward, which makes sense with propellant being consumed. So is he saying it corkscrewed by going OVERstable?

He said he lost $7-800. I'm going to take a guess and say a few other people lost some money in that rocket which brings the total up.

I thought he said the CG shifted forward, which makes sense with propellant being consumed. So is he saying it corkscrewed by going OVERstable?.

Yeah, that caught my attention too. Maybe he meant to say "I don't have a clear idea why it went squirrelly, but I don't want to say that in front of Simone Giertz Queen of Sh!77y Robots"?

The companion video, on Tested Premium, is Simone building and launching (what I am fairy certain is) a Madcow Aerobee 150. Its not meant to be a "how to build a rocket" instructional; so she just tears open the bag and starts putting it together. Its moderately amusing to see her beetle through each step of the instructions without a clear idea of what she is building. She also speaks english with what could pass for a midwestern american accent, so it is a little funny to hear her sound out unfamiliar words -- like "coop-ler".

Spoiler: She managed -- with the help of Clay, her host at BALLS -- to complete the rocket and get it in the air. Its a little hard to hear the LCO on the video (they are laughing over the fact that he announced her name as "Simon") but it sounded like she sent her first-ever rocket up on a I-motor and had a successful recovery (dual deployment, even).

So that's what's in the premium video!

That's the thing with pro YouTubers, how much is just an act, and how much is legitimate reaction?
Did it mention if she flew for a Level 1 or flew it under someone else? (and did she rig the deployment herself with input or did they do that?)

Eh, sometimes those flight cards are hard to read (I have chronic Engineer's Handwriting and am guilty as well.....). Chris Dondanville gives me crap whenever he's reading one of my cards at the control board.
(at PMW during L1 certs a couple weeks ago: "And on pad X, we've got..........Toby? flying his.......something something Do they NOT Teach Handwriting Anymore!!???....")

So that's what's in the premium video!

That's the thing with pro YouTubers, how much is just an act, and how much is legitimate reaction?
Did it mention if she flew for a Level 1 or flew it under someone else? (and did she rig the deployment herself with input or did they do that?)

Watching her robot-build videos I get the impression that she isn't putting on very much. She is smart and capable, but her process is haphazard. It works for her.

The LCO (almost) announced both of their names, so it seems like they launched under Clay Reynold's license -- which suggests she did not fly for certification.

I wasn't watching too closely (it was on in the background while I prepared a lecture) but I did notice footage where he was explaining the altimeter to her. I didn't see any other footage to do with the electronics. Since he helped her install rail buttons and a bulkhead, I'd guess that he at least showed her how to rig the deployment.

There was a system this year where everyone who had NEED to go to the far away cells got a special wristband, and these were limited. No unauthorised people were supposed to be out there. I don't see any in the video. Safety third?

There was a system this year where everyone who had NEED to go to the far away cells got a special wristband, and these were limited. No unauthorised people were supposed to be out there. I don't see any in the video. Safety third?

These people were ushered off the range once by a board member who politely explained what they needed to do (join Tripoli or NAR so they would be insured, register for BALLS like everyone else, and request a wrist band) in order to have range access and apparently went back on without permission. We (the board) didn’t even know about it until I saw the video yesterday. We’re discussing what to do. I’m not happy.

Steve Shannon

These people were ushered off the range once by a board member who politely explained what they needed to do (join Tripoli or NAR so they would be insured, register for BALLS like everyone else, and request a wrist band) in order to have range access and apparently went back on without permission. We (the board) didn’t even know about it until I saw the video yesterday. We’re discussing what to do. I’m not happy.

Steve Shannon

Maybe that's why the dude looked so nervous.

TV drama= not needed by this hobby (we create enough of our own without cameras lol)

Simone certainly does have an interest in space.

Earlier this year she posted a series of videos, on becoming a DIY Astronaut:

[video=youtube;ZpzN93pMd8w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpzN93pMd8w[/video]

This was the last one, culminating with being weightless in a jet plane doing Zero-G maneuvers:

[video=youtube;u9pkjHWAZLs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9pkjHWAZLs[/video]

Steve Shannon

Was this the same group that did the test burn and then not clean up their mess??

Back