Miss Riley..ummm no

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnNGA

Reaction score
Here is my tribute to the 'Rocket Boys'. I took an old Z/S design and shortened it 12 inches, used a 2" BT and set it up to go on 24mm. Have flown it once on an E15-4w. I had a chance to meet Red Carroll in Oct 2005 (He gave us a tour of Coalwood and War). When we left he gave me several 'Olga Coal Tags'..I attached one to a fin. Mr. Carroll was a true Gentleman.

016.jpg

008.jpg

017.jpg

Pretty neat design. Those old coal tags are times worth a lot.

Id like to know more about the rocket. I find the nozzle interesting and was wondering If I could fabricate such a thing.

Id like to know more about the rocket. I find the nozzle interesting and was wondering If I could fabricate such a thing.

I mounted the motor tube so that it stuck out of the BT. The nozzle is 2 opposing cardstock transitions (delorie.com/rockets/transitions). Centering rings keep it all in place. Motor hooks will not work.

Pretty neat design. Those old coal tags are times worth a lot.

I read they were called 'scatter tags'. Coal companies would throw them into rail cars full of coal and when you bought coal you would know where it came from. It was surely a simpler (better?) time.

If you look around you could probably find one of Ky Michaelson's Miss Riley high power rockets complete with a turned aluminum nozzle. You have to make sure the motor nozzle extends past the end or the possibility of over-expansion of the exhaust robs you of thrust.

I'd almost bet that what the rocket boys really came up with for a nozzle hardly looked like the movie one made to be seen at a distance, the movie one is way to big and I doubt if it's anywhere near the proper expansion.

If you look around you could probably find one of Ky Michaelson's Miss Riley high power rockets complete with a turned aluminum nozzle. You have to make sure the motor nozzle extends past the end or the possibility of over-expansion of the exhaust robs you of thrust.

I'd almost bet that what the rocket boys really came up with for a nozzle hardly looked like the movie one made to be seen at a distance, the movie one is way to big and I doubt if it's anywhere near the proper expansion.

Yeah, the script made a point about the 'De Laval' nozzle so they had to make it stand out on the Miss Riley. In the early 60's we tinkered around with ZS and the nozzles were tiny, they actually screwed into the body tube. Those things made alot of fire and smoke!! Lucky to be here.

Back