Kit recommendation for CTI I350 38mm

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d10srule

Reaction score
Hello, can anyone recommend a kit to purchase that would be good to launch a CTI I350? If you know of any scale kits or some kit I could enter into NAR events with like classic or sport scale it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Eli.

It depends what kind of flight you're looking for, of course: low and slow or fast and high.

I like the I350 on my Madcow 4" Patriot, gets close to 2000 ft, and the Smoky Sam trail makes a nice column of smoke, and doable with motor ejection depending on your field.

Now on a Darkstar Jr., you're talking more like 5k feet, which would require dual deploment, at lease on our east coast fields. Maybe single deploy with a tracker out west.

Thanks Sully That is some great options. That Madcow Patriot is just what I am looking for. I am glad to hear it works nice with an I350! Do you launch that off of a rail or can you put a quarter inch lug on it? Thanks, Eli

Definitely go with rail buttons. IMHO you shouldn't use lugs for any motor larger then F.

The 610I350-14A has an average thrust of about 80 pounds. It's pretty flat with a peak of 90 lbs. You could lift off with a 5 -1 ratio with a 16 lb rocket. That would keep it very low. I would recommend something around 5 lbs and 4" diameter. That should get you about 2,500 ft

Great info. Thank you. I wanted to go lugs because I don't have a rail. My club has a rail, so I will just launch it there. The biggest motor I have launched is an H128, so this is a step up for me. Thanks again for all the responses.

Thanks Sully That is some great options. That Madcow Patriot is just what I am looking for. I am glad to hear it works nice with an I350! Do you launch that off of a rail or can you put a quarter inch lug on it? Thanks, Eli

Yes, as the others said, rail buttons. Pretty much every HPR setup will have a 1010 rail available. Heavy rods are not as common, and often you have to swap it out with the rail when you want to launch. Rail buttons work great and are one less thing to worry about.

One thing about the Madcow Patriot, the instructions say to epoxy the coupler into the payload section. This works fine for motor eject, but using removable plastic rivets instead will allow for a dual deployment option too.

One thing about the Madcow Patriot, the instructions say to epoxy the coupler into the payload section. This works fine for motor eject, but using removable plastic rivets instead will allow for a dual deployment option too.

And for the extra $34 buying the optional Removable Altimeter bay upgrade is well worth it. I got it and used it as my payload bay coupler for single deploy using rivets, it also provided enough weight that I did not have to add any nose cone weight and sims out stable from the H143 SS to small J motors. Then of course you could always get the 54mm option to go Level 2 cert with it.

That removable altimeter bay looks like a nice option. I could probably get more points in a scale contest with that! Thanks for all the awesome info, it really helps!

If I had to launch it on a rod with launch lugs? Would that be doable on a quarter inch, or half inch rod? 48 inches long, longer? With the launch lug, right at CG. Or would rod whip send it scary cato? Thanks, Eli

I've only flown the I-350 once on a scratch build--I'd fly it again...

Later!

--Coop

Back