liquid propellant engine for model rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king

Reaction score
is building a liquid propellant rocket engine for a model rocket that hard aren't liquid propellant rocket engine just high pressure fuel and an oxidizer tanks ,some pressure vales and a NOZZLE

Hi King- Welcome to TRF! There are lots of variables you may encounter in the construction of liquid fueled rockets and certainly most of these are not insurmountable as there are groups of very dedicated fliers machining high tolerance parts in garages and warehouses around the US. You may be interested to look into some hybrid technology as a stepping stone to the final iteration of your dream machine. There are proven systems out there that are basically 'plug and play' but therein lies other caveats. You MUST have some experience in electronic deployment systems and a substantial amount of practice with flight simulation software (and hardware for measuring the required parameters) for a substantially more complex assembly than most of us fly. I admire your desire to tackle these difficult areas and would be the last to discourage those dreams. I do not know where you are located, but if you are in SoCal, I can recommend some machine shops equipped to accomplish tasks with most of the exotic alloys you may require. Sorry, but I'm retired now and generally not available for consultations for any duration but will assist when and where possible, if you so desire. Liquid propulsion is probably the most complex, dangerous, expensive and rewarding aspect of our hobby. I wish you well on building your dream.

thank you fyrwrxz just ask but do you know any where where i can find plans for the LR-101 Liquid Rocket Motors
i am located in FL

Last edited:
Any liquid fuel powered rocket is no longer a model, rather an amateur rocket.

Liquids are by far more complex and dangerous than any solid rocket motor(s) that anyone uses here.

It's a whole new ball game.
Solids are just scratching the surface of rocket technology.

JD

JD
is building a liquid propellant rocket engine for a model rocket that hard aren't liquid propellant rocket engine just high pressure fuel and an oxidizer tanks ,some pressure vales and a NOZZLE

i know aeroconsystems.com sell the lr-101 but it cost like 4000 i am look for the plans to build it if i had the plan then it would cost about 100 to 600 to go to a machine shops have it cnc

i know aeroconsystems.com sell the lr-101 but it cost like 4000 i am look for the plans to build it if i had the plan then it would cost about 100 to 600 to go to a machine shops have it cnc
The bigger questions are: once you have it, how will you light it, what and how will you feed it, and where are you going to put it while it's running?

(Note that answering these questions is kinda outside the scope of this forum; join RRS, FAR, or aRocket for the proper dose of truthiness on this topic.)

if i had the plan then it would cost about 100 to 600 to go to a machine shops have it cnc

I seriously doubt that it would cost that little.

I'm am no expert, but I understand one of the many challenges with liquid engines is they take a while to come up to pressure and develop full thrust. So, the launch tower will need to be very tall or you'll need to design a clamp system to hold the rocket until enough thrust is being produced. This will be a challenge in itself.

the lunch tower is not a challenge i know some one that can build one for me

Just to give you a basis, the liquid fueled O motor rocket that my university is working on has at least $20,000 into the project. Cost/complexity (plus a heck of a lot of engineering expertise) is why liquid rockets are outside the scope of most amateur rocketeers.

the lunch tower is not a challenge i know some one that can build one for me
Answer the four questions in my post correctly, and we'll all start to take you seriously.

(FWIW, I've built a biprop engine from scratch, so I'm not that full of it. Just a little.)

Till then...
5Ajvv.gif

thank you fyrwrxz just ask but do you know any where where i can find plans for the LR-101 Liquid Rocket Motors
i am located in FL

I think the only way to get plans would be to contact PWR, as I'm pretty sure they are the only ones that have them.

i well feed it kerosene by high pressure tank that have regulator, i well test it in a custom built Test Stand and i well light it by spark ignition

Last edited:
https://aeroconsystems.com/cart/products/Rocketdyne_LR101_Bipropellant_Rocket_Motor-157-1.html
Too bad it's a "call for price" item, you used to be able to get one delivered to your doorstep by UPS with a credit card number.

Just make sure you know what you're doing with it. These guys did and they still had a little bit of trouble...

Thats Pretty Cool davey, I notice one big component (probably the ONLY MAJOR moving part too) the fuel Pump...

I do like that it has a "Fuel Heater" set up already, but Even someone with a LOT of Experience Better know EXACTLY what they are doing with that before they just jump in... (King did you read that??)

I always wanted to build a liquid Fueled Rocket mostly because you can make a REALLY LONG burn motor. I looked and researched it A LOT and decided its best to stick with solid fuel... unless you have a credit card with NO limit.

In other words it can be done.. but it aint gonna be cheap!!!

I even looked into building a ram/scram jet type motor using solid strap on boosters to get things moving and to get the ramjet lit... It might work, but again you really need to know what you are doing and have the BEST equipment to work with..

can we all get back to the topic

You really need to be discussing this with these folks over here or another group like them. This forum is full of ideas and methods for dealing with solid fuel so you just aren't going to get a lot of useful information. Most of liquid fuel is way beyond the means of the majority of people on TRF subsequently we don't do anything with it.

I think daveyfire and Tim asked some excellent questions and I think if you would like to progress any further with this discussion with any amount of credibility it might be a good idea to answer them. Also, it wouldn't hurt to read the rules for this forum. :cyclops:

i answer all the questions that were asked. Here is what i have in mind so you guys can get a better idea of what i want to do i was think of doing a 2 stage rocket the first stage is Solid-fuel propellant and the 2nd stage is liquid propellant i ask the question how hard it can be to build a liquid propellant rocket engine because i seen alot of people i do it before and i even had a friend who build one but he no longer lives in the USA

Last edited:
i answer all the questions that were asked. Here is what i have in mind so you guys can get a better idea of what i want to do i was think of doing a 2 stage rocket the first stage is Solid-fuel propellant and the 2nd stage is liquid propellant i ask the question how hard it can be to build a liquid propellant rocket engine because i seen alot of people do it befor

Unproper gramatical marks @11 ovar....... FaIl

How old are you?

Back