L1 Special!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aluminum sewing bobbin specs:

length: 1.37in
max outside diameter: 1.10in
min inside diameter: 0.39in
weight: 21.8gr

The diameters are stepped both inside and out, a pretty complex gidget.

Could it possibly be some sort of anti-wear bushing for the shock cord?

If you JB welded the long section though a bulkhead/centering ring and passed the shock cord through it - it might not 'rub' and break.

Krusty

Could it possibly be some sort of anti-wear bushing for the shock cord?

If you JB welded the long section though a bulkhead/centering ring and passed the shock cord through it - it might not 'rub' and break.

Krusty

Not unless I'm missing other bits of kit-- there was only one centering ring, and it has two holes drilled for directly attaching the shock cord so there is no pass-through/rubbing. I'm sure Eric will jump in here whenever he has a chance and solve this mystery :)

"Alien do-dad GPS interplanetary trans-sponder"

Keep checking the windows for men in black suits knocking on your door.

Eric has apparently mis-placed his "Eric phone home" device. He's probably been frantically looking for it.

Ps is there any "Reese's Piece's " residue on it?

Not unless I'm missing other bits of kit-- there was only one centering ring, and it has two holes drilled for directly attaching the shock cord so there is no pass-through/rubbing. I'm sure Eric will jump in here whenever he has a chance and solve this mystery :)
It's almost more fun speculating!

Krusty

I almost hate to respond this thread is fun!!!
That is a kickstand button for race bikes.
Now it's nose weight! Epoxy it in the top of the NC.
The small glass in in there for the launch rod tubes.
The tube didn't come in and I wanted to get these shipped so I bought ya'll the ones in the kit from giant leap.

Eric

Eric
I recieved mine yesterday, and I've got to tell you, you are amazing and the quality in your design and parts just blow my mind. Well done and thank you for what you do for the hobby. I finished putting mine together this morning. Not painted though, to cold. I will launch this coming Saturday for my level 1. I will first use a G80 7t and then a small H.
Thank you again foe all of your hard work.

Marty

I almost hate to respond this thread is fun!!!
That is a kickstand button for race bikes.
Now it's nose weight! Epoxy it in the top of the NC.
The small glass in in there for the launch rod tubes.
The tube didn't come in and I wanted to get these shipped so I bought ya'll the ones in the kit from giant leap.

Eric

You mean it's not a sewing-bobbin-shock-cord-bushing-alien-GPS-transponder!? Thanks for clearing that up :)
Is it also safe to use it as the shock cord anchor point? I haven't worked with your molded plastic before but I wouldn't want it to rip out...not sure how well stuff sticks to it but I did go and buy some of the special plastic epoxy which you recommended earlier. And thank you for the conformal launch lug upgrade!

Beezwax, It fine for the anchor. You are welcome for the lug, I had to do it.
I can't have ya'll waiting like you have done. Times are tough for me right now or I would have made them myself.
God Bless

Got my kit last night. I haven't had a chance to absorb everything in the kit yet ( a little under the weather). Some things I noticed that are just well thought out. The motor mount as usual a BaddAzz piece of artwork, pretty clever track in the coupler for the centering ring, I didn't see that at first. Fins have your angled lead in for the thru the wall mounts- that set up rocks.:headbang:

I do have a question. The fins have 2 thru holes on them. I am assuming they are construction holes and meant to also help with Epoxying in the fins. Then I found the skewer in the package and then started thinking, either Eric was so busy he packed my kit while he was eating his dinner of Kabob's :lol: or maybe this is to be used as dowels thru the holes to pin the pins ( similar to your tab concept on Mizz Rhonda). If it is to pin them how do you reach in there to do so?

I also noticed that the thru hole on the centering ring is considerably larger than a 29mm motor casing. I assume this is intentional, but was wondering if I am considering using a 3 grain motor or larger :y: would it be better for balance to re-size that hole closer to the motor casing OD?

Last question as I know your busy with a lot of other things in life right now, is there a possibility to get a hold of a your roc-sim file. I like to tweak them to my actual build and it would save a bit of time creating everything.

Hi Russell,

Thanks for the compliments!
The hole are for the bamboo skewer. A conformal tab would be hard to install as it would be a compound curve.
I'll check the Centering ring when I get back to work. God I hope I have not Hosed up.
Nose weight total should be 2 5/8 to 3 oz. depending on the motors you wish to fly.

Thanks Again,
Eric

Yes I will shoot you a RS file also.

Thanks for the feedback Eric. The hole in my centering ring is 1.208 to 1.210 in diamter, compared to the 1.150 in my back retainer. No need to rush on my account, I just thought I would mention it.

Yup me too, darn it. I just went and measured my centering ring and the inside diameter is 1.21 inches. It seems like that would be just right for mounting a 29mm motor tube, but if I'm understanding this rocket design it's intended to just float the motor casing without using a motor tube. I'm guessing these were cut as "normal" 29mm rings without adding back the motor tube wall thickness. I'm glad you spotted that!

Eric,

Thanks for posting the rocksim. I like to play with the files over here. 6 inch upscale?

Eric,

Thanks for posting the rocksim. I like to play with the files over here. 6 inch upscale?

Chuck, I'm gonna do a 6". I'll be using the nosecone mold I made for Pzycho Killer!
Hope I can think clearly enough to make the centering ring to size.

I really hate I made these wrong. I'm sorry, I have a lot on my mind and there ain't much left of it.

Last edited:
Eric

Please don't beat yourself up over this. I think I can speak for everyone and say it's OK and we understand. It's all good. We are all here for you and your family.

God bless
Marty

Eric, you have had a lot on your mind. I am sure that everyone will understand. We keep praying and hoping for you and your family.

Definitely. I know we all love rockets here but on the short list of things that really matter you won't find any rockets. Take care of yourself and your family, everything else can wait.

Chuck, I'm gonna do a 6". I'll be using the nosecone mold I made for Pzycho Killer!
Hope I can thin clearly enough to make the centering ring to size.
Will
I really hate I made these wrong. I'm sorry, I have a lot on my mind and there ain't much left of it.

I agree with everyone here. Take your time. We will all be here. When you upscale, count me in and we will drag race.

Hi Eric,

I know you have more important things to worry about, but are these still available?

I feel like a jerk for asking, but man this is a great looking rocket! I'd love to build one.

Derek

Derek,

Thank you, You are not a jerk for asking! EVER!!
Yes I have them in stock, BUT, I need to re-make centering rings.
I hope to find time this coming week, but I can't promise.
I can't spend evenings at work like I use to could.
This makes it VERY hard for me to make rocket stuff.
Believe me, I would give anything to have it differently.

Eric

Hi Eric,

No problem. I can wait. Family is more important.

Derek

Eric,

Are you still offering this rocket? If so, is there a different price if not used for a cert flight?

Thanks,
Chris

Was thinking about this rocket today. Ordered and Paid in October 2013. Pity. Was looking forward to building and flying it, but ended up getting stiffed. Always hoped it would be put right, but never was.

Krusty

Back