Official AIRFest 19 Info and Updates

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a massive difference in cleaning a 75,5000ns case and a 38,640.. I use very nasty stuff to get the bigger cases cleaned off.

There used to be a kid in argonia that would clean cases, I think he was closer to 15.00 -25.00 for the larger motors.

I am just saying this as if someone gives him a bigger case, he might "burnout" at the 7.00 it takes for 1-2 hours of cleaning.

Thanks for this information. Since I've never cleaned cases bigger than 54-1280, I didn't realize how hard those would be. He might have to make those "negotiable".

Thanks for this information. Since I've never cleaned cases bigger than 54-1280, I didn't realize how hard those would be. He might have to make those "negotiable".

Equip the lad with a long 1" dowel, and some Scotch Brite pads.

-Kevin

-Kevin

Done. Along with big box of baby wipes, smaller wooden dowels (ok, they're bamboo chop sticks), bottle of Simple Green, toilet and bottle brush. Having kid-skinny fingers and arms helps too :)

IMHO, the "miracle" cleaner for motor casings is EagleOne's A2Z All Wheel & Tire Cleaner. (I posted this before). This stuff dissolves the residue left inside the casings and really makes cleanup FAST. I wouldn't recommend soaking the casings in full strength solution, although I have left them in a diluted solution for a few hours to soften up the crud. According to the manufacturer: "A2Z is safe for all types of metal hubcaps and steel or aluminum alloy wheels. safe finishes include: anodized, clear coated, factory painted and chrome. Warning: do not use on non-factory painted wheels, motorcycle wheels, and some anodized wheels."

So far, motor cases have not been damaged and so I assume they are in the "safe" anodized category.

I don't use any sort of abrasive pad. So if you use a "Scotchbrite" pad make sure it is one that is Teflon safe.

I also recommend a box of Harbor Freight 5 mil (bue) nitrile gloves.

-Kevin

View attachment 143694
Just one of the projects for this weekend:facepalm:

Still think it looks like a Giant W**n....:point:

Manny and, i flying my "Wild-Cow" Massive Frenzy known as *Constipated Duck* on an AMW N4000......Sunday only.
Expecting 19k out of the mule.....

Love Argonia.....HATE HEAT.....still going to work up till Saturday afternoon....then drive 12 hours in the "Land Rocket" too be with all my friends....

Still can't believe that i stumped Reeser with my new custom Indiana Purdue College Plate inscribed *LGM30G*

I don't think anybody knows what that means:confused:

The Air Force was my college....;)

Last edited:
Still think it looks like a Giant W**n....:point:

Manny and, i flying my "Wild-Cow" Massive Frenzy known as *Constipated Duck* on an AMW N4000......Sunday only.
Expecting 19k out of the mule.....

Love Argonia.....HATE HEAT.....still going to work up till Saturday afternoon....then drive 12 hours in the "Land Rocket" too be with all my friends....

Still can't believe that i stumped Reeser with my new custom Indiana Purdue College Plate inscribed *LGM30G*

I'm really looking forward to AIRfest, even though I'm not flying anything. I'm going to leave after class on Friday, get there mid-afternoon. Saturday, I'm going to do Away Cell RSO in the afternoon. Sunday will consist of flying Gus' rocket and resting for the short trip back home. 6 hours will feel short considering I normally do the trip in 13.

Thanks David. Already had the inverter and it is very quite. AC unit was on sale for $100.
Remember to bring the Gran 16 please.

Hey Lance
Just wandering if it would be possible to set up a mist cooling or some sort of cooling station at the well?
Bob could give showers, he is good at it and they do feel good in 100 degree heat.
How much demand can the well support?
Best used for emergencies only?
How many times this weekend do you think Bob will say. "Take some water with you".
I always appreciate his advice on this.
Bottom line is it is going to be nasty hot and we all need to do what we can to deal with it.

Good news--Avis upgraded me to a Lincoln Navigator; bad news (for this week) it is black with black leather interior :(

IMG_20130828_022139.jpg

Well, you'll just have to suffer with that off brand skinny tie thing... :neener::neener:

Adrian

Au Contraire Adrian mon fair......I'll take my European engineered magnetic fluid ride control, Monster six piston disc brakes, imported leather/pigskin interior and, 580hp (with a TORQUE CURVE as big/flat as Nebraska) any day.....
You see when it comes time to pass or "make some time".....I just *squeeze* the gas pedal (don't yank.....don't pull..) and, Mr. Scary wakes up..... That puts a BIG smile on my face!

Now if I only had an inflight refueling probe......

"Hello Shell...... Yes; I'm on Interstate 35 southbound....mile marker 32...... I need a tanker rendezvous for the south side of Kansas City....."
"Tell the driver I need *high test* , some Twinkees and, a bottle of Mtn. Dew....."
"Ready with my Shell/MasterCard number when you are....."

And all this time I thought you were a CIM-10 kind of guy.

OK here are the rockets that the Arizona Rocketry Team will be bringing to Kansas !

View attachment 143310

What the ??? What is that a 100X Alpha 3? Very Cool indeed and I won't miss that one. The original was a great flyer and is actually the rocket that got me back into rocketry several years ago. I'm sure the monster will fly just as good as the original.

We're leaving here just after lunch tomorrow, be there by dinner time. I'll be bringing the Extreme Wildthang for my Level 3 attempt, Wildman Dual Deploy, Wildman Jr. (I see a pattern)(what can I say, the guy makes a mean rocket or ten), and even though that's probably enough, I'll probably throw in my Formula 54 for some quick flights too. See you all there, looking forward to seeing all our rocket friends.

Last edited:
And all this time I thought you were a CIM-10 kind of guy.

I...M...99 (%) of the time Sir Richard...

Just thought i would wax nostalgic...

Touche' ;)

Hey, are you bringing the "grandson" out there...OR attempting too if he hasn't been *naughty*:confused:

Did we have another..."Shaving Incident":confused:

":rolleyes: He was shaving eight times a day..."
"At LEAST eight times a day...:rolleyes:"

Tell him i said that...:eek:

See you in Kansas Dawg!.....;)

IMHO, the "miracle" cleaner for motor casings is EagleOne's A2Z All Wheel & Tire Cleaner. (I posted this before). This stuff dissolves the residue left inside the casings and really makes cleanup FAST. I wouldn't recommend soaking the casings in full strength solution, although I have left them in a diluted solution for a few hours to soften up the crud. According to the manufacturer: "A2Z is safe for all types of metal hubcaps and steel or aluminum alloy wheels. safe finishes include: anodized, clear coated, factory painted and chrome. Warning: do not use on non-factory painted wheels, motorcycle wheels, and some anodized wheels."

So far, motor cases have not been damaged and so I assume they are in the "safe" anodized category.

I don't use any sort of abrasive pad. So if you use a "Scotchbrite" pad make sure it is one that is Teflon safe.

I also recommend a box of Harbor Freight 5 mil (bue) nitrile gloves.

FOr your safety ALWAYS consider the AL to be exposed..... So if your using a cleaner that will react with AL like say... Hydrocloric Acid Dont count that the anodizing will stop the exposure, there are always areas where there may be cracks in the anodizing, or poor coating...

What the ??? What is that a 100X Alpha 3? Very Cool indeed and I won't miss that one. The original was a great flyer and is actually the rocket that got me back into rocketry several years ago. I'm sure the monster will fly just as good as the original.

Not quite a 100X Scott - only a 20X :blush:

Hmm... I seem to have run into some unexpected difficulty. My 98/6xl casing is slightly bent :)(), so I'll be in search of one to borrow or purchase to be able to fly this weekend. Also, I'd like to borrow a Garmin Astro receiver (I have the transmitter, but can't find my receiver), though I'm not that worried about finding the rocket (it's BIG, and not going that high). If anyone has either of these (esp. the 6xl casing...), I'd really appreciate it...

(I know it's late, so I'll probably just be hunting on the field on Saturday morning)

Hmm... I seem to have run into some unexpected difficulty. My 98/6xl casing is slightly bent :)(), so I'll be in search of one to borrow or purchase to be able to fly this weekend. Also, I'd like to borrow a Garmin Astro receiver (I have the transmitter, but can't find my receiver), though I'm not that worried about finding the rocket (it's BIG, and not going that high). If anyone has either of these (esp. the 6xl casing...), I'd really appreciate it...

(I know it's late, so I'll probably just be hunting on the field on Saturday morning)

Chris, i can help you out on the C.T.I. 98mm 6xl casing......If you don't have any luck on Saturday.
I plan too arrive early at the field on Sunday after an all nighter in the car.(Black Camaro....Indiana plates *duh*.)
I'll bring the rings, bulkhead, nozzle carrier and, wrench....JUST in case.....I know stuff like this NEVER comes up missing when needed.......:surprised:

Rocket Gentleman rules in effect if needed/used.
1. Returned in good condition
2. If lost or damaged.....blah....blah.....
3. Clean please...

I'll pm you my cell number next which can of course be used for calls or texting......

Got yah covered if no one else can.;) See you Sunday either way!:D

Chris, i can help you out on the C.T.I. 98mm 6xl casing......If you don't have any luck on Saturday.
I plan too arrive early at the field on Sunday after an all nighter in the car.(Black Camaro....Indiana plates *duh*.)
I'll bring the rings, bulkhead, nozzle carrier and, wrench....JUST in case.....I know stuff like this NEVER comes up missing when needed.......:surprised:

Rocket Gentleman rules in effect if needed/used.
1. Returned in good condition
2. If lost or damaged.....blah....blah.....
3. Clean please...

I'll pm you my cell number next which can of course be used for calls or texting......

Got yah covered if no one else can.;) See you Sunday either way!:D

Thanks a bunch Gus - I look forward to seeing you there :D

Hahaha! Didn't see THAT one coming ;-)
Same tomorrow I think...but cooler on Sunday! Fingers crossed!

Back