Are you a smoker?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketeer Gator

Reaction score
On todays menu:
11lb pork tenderloin split with McCormicks applewood rub and home made Kansas City rub.(recipe below its damn good)
Three racks of ribs with cowboy,applewood,and KC.

8688551717_22291c7113_b.jpg

Dry Rub Kansas City Style
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
3/4 tablespoon garlic powder
3/4 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne (more or less depending how hot ya like it)

So if your a smoker try that rub its mouth watering good! :drool: The McCormick rubs are good also but I'm getting into making my own rubs more now and tweaking them with some secret spices.

Heck yea, I'm a smoker.
I'd love for you to try mine.
I'll be right over, what can I bring............
Teddy

Hey Chris,
I do a picnic shoulder skin on, skin down,,,,,,
or a Boston butt, for the fat content......
I thought the tenderloins didn't have enough fat to do what your doing to them......
I thought they would dry out.......

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cab...tt=injectors&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

Just a few ingrediants, you tweek

In a blender,,,,, in the syringe
Molassas
Apple cider vinager
Apple juice
Fresh garlic cloves
Chili powder
cayaene pepper
salt and fresh crack black

Maybe this summer for one of the MDRA launches I'll bring the smoker and torture everyone all day.Beer and homemade tater salad always goes good with smoked ribs!

Well one of my tricks is keeping one of those disposable roast pans full of water/apple juice 50/50 mix in front of hole for the firebox.I always end up with moist meats when done.The loin still had the fat on it and I have always cooked with the fat side up so it runs down while cooking.Over here they don't even know what a Boston butt is apparently,when I asked for one the guy in the meat department looked at me as if I were talking Russian or something.

Man that looks good! Got family coming over next weekend and was thinking about what to make for lunch. I think you just changed my mind! Time to get my smoker fired up!

I smoke tenderloin all of the time, turns out tasting like ham and can be juicy if cooked right. Brining goes a long way towards tender and juicy meats.

I prefer a nice smoked pork rib (or ten).animated-smileys-eating-drinking-140.gif

Of course being a Texan smoked beef brisket is a staple around here.

Mesquite is the smoking wood I use most often, mostly because I harvest quite a bit of it on my own property every year.

Dang! Looks like I picked the wrong week to become a vegetarian! (my apologies to Lloyd Bridges and the writers of Airplane!)

Just filled the water/juice pan and snapped a torture pic after 3.5 hrs cooking at a steady 250°. Couple more hrs.......

8689185085_c6ea627987_c.jpg

Clicked on this to comment "not for about a year, man I'd kill for a marb!" :) But indeed I am also this kind of smoker...

I love doing pulled pork, hams and ribs... gotta try a loin or a brisket soon. Gonna have to try that rub you posted next time I fire it up.

These ribs were marinated in a Maker's Mark/Brown Sugar/soy/Worcestershire/garlic/pepper/apple juice mix that I turned into a BBQ sauce the next day.
8689347151_2a22722535.jpg

Last edited:
Hi jeff,
Whats time and temp for a brisket,
I overdo them and they get dry.....
Teddy

You owe me one keyboard Mr. Gator. I drooled so much on this one it is shorting out.

Clicked on this to comment "not for about a year, man I'd kill for a marb!" :) But indeed I am also this kind of smoker...

I love doing pulled pork, hams and ribs... gotta try a loin or a brisket soon. Gonna have to try that rub you posted next time I fire it up.

These ribs were marinated in a Maker's Mark/Brown Sugar/soy/Worcestershire/garlic/pepper/apple juice mix that I turned into a BBQ sauce the next day.
8689347151_2a22722535.jpg

Where did you get that rib rack thingy-ma-bob?That sure makes a lotta grill space for MORE ribs!
That sounds like a good marinade,whats the portions or is that top secret? One shot for the marinade,two shots for the mixer....

You owe me one keyboard Mr. Gator. I drooled so much on this one it is shorting out.
LOL sorry bro! I'll not post the finished pix of the loin then,just imagine a beautiful pink ring,nice subtle smoke taste,and moist as a Georgia peach.

Hi jeff,
Teddy

I cheat and use a wireless meat thermometer,when the brisket temp hits 145°f (med rare) I pull mine.Usually takes about 2.5 hrs smoking at 250° depending on size of course.

Where did you get that rib rack thingy-ma-bob?That sure makes a lotta grill space for MORE ribs!
That sounds like a good marinade,whats the portions or is that top secret? One shot for the marinade,two shots for the mixer....

Got the rack at home depot. there's a few types, I now avoid the folding ones, but they do the job too. You'd be amazed what you can fit even on a weber classic grill.
8362972859_8b0d9468f3.jpg
8364038876_e865e7d65f_z.jpg

By the time I was done smoking those ribs.... I was as well marinated as the meat :)

For the marinade I took this and modified it a bit. Were I to do it again I'd go out and get some beer instead of replacing it with apple juice.

---------------------------------------
Bourbon Smoked Ribs Recipe
Ingredients

One-half cup of Jim Beam or other bourbon whiskey
One-half cup brown sugar
One 12 ounce can of beer
Two tablespoons soy sauce
Two tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
One tablespoon chopped garlic
One teaspoon black pepper
4 racks of spare ribs (about 5 pounds or 2 kilos)

Directions

Heat the marinade ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and completely dissolve the sugar. Allow to cool, either on your stove top or in the fridge to accelerate the process.
Remove thin layer of skin from the back the spare ribs, using a dull knife to gently pry up the skin. This skin makes the ribs chewier and also keeps the meat from absorbing the marinade.smoked ribs
A paper towel will help grip the slippery skin as you tear it off.smoked ribs recipe
Slice into the meat between each rib, about 1 inch deep.
smoked ribs
Place the ribs in a large plastic bag and add cooled marinade to them. Allow to marinate overnight. Flip and rearrange the bag from time to time so that the ribs marinate evenly.smoked ribs recipe
Remove the slab of ribs from the marinade (saving marinade) and allow ribs to drain. Pat rack dry.
Again, put the marinade in a saucepan and bring to a boil, reducing by half.
Add one cup of tomato sauce, one quarter cup of cider vinegar, and two tablespoons of molasses and continue to simmer until thickened.
Soak hickory chips in water and then add to smoker. Place ribs bone side down on smoker rack and smoke at about 225°F (110°C) for 2-3 hours (thick ribs will need more time). Flip the ribs over and smoke for 30 minutes.
Remove 1/2 cup sauce from the pan and brush ribs with sauce. Smoke for another 30 minutes.

-----

I got two bags of this for next time :) Guess what it's made from
!BiwgPlQCGk~$(KGrHqUH-DUEs+3!wPb9BLQl!21BR!~~_35.JPG

Last edited:
Hi jeff,
Teddy

I try to keep the smoker between 225 and 250 until the meat hits 155. I baby sit the fire box while it cooks to keep the temp right, I kill the time drinking beer. I cook the brisket untrimmed, fat side up. Time depends on the size of the brisket. I wrap it in foil after removing it from the cooker and let it rest for about an hour before slicing. Makes a nice juicy fork tender brisket.

Thanks Jeff,
Rest for an hour!!!!!!!!!! I'll try it for sure.......

Chris,
Did that ham start out cooked or fresh,
I always wanted to try a ham on the smoker.......

Teddy

I'd like to place and order to go please. OMG- you guys are killin' me here!
Hmmm should I pack your chute order in dry ice with a few ribs?Don't worry the the smoked smell would be good for the chutes,the dogs would retrieve them for ya.Wait bad idea NVM!

I'm a HUGE!!!! Smoked foods fan. I've got the Brinkman electric smoker. Dave your spread looks awesome! I'm an even bigger Jerky fan though. Been making Jerky for over 20 years, I've got big commercial dehydrator and have literally processed hundreds! of pounds of Jerky for myself and for sale, its a staple for me at every launch. I'm sure there's a bunch of people here who have had it.

Hmmm should I pack your chute order in dry ice with a few ribs?Don't worry the the smoked smell would be good for the chutes,the dogs would retrieve them for ya.Wait bad idea NVM!
LMAO! I taught my Lab to stand point by the rocket after I quit duck hunting. He's gone to chase rabbits where it's always summer, miss that guy. I got a feeling the smoked rib training for a new dog would quickly devolve into a chewing contest-you're right- BAD idea. (but intriquing!)

Gary- I love making jerky, so far limited to tiny little dehydrators. I never wanted to go deer hunting until I realized how much jerky I could turn one into...

Yep, didn't get any pictures but tonight venison roast marinated in apple cider vinegar, Worcester sauce and sweet gerkins; fabulous made-up stuffed peppers (venison burger with tomato/Italian seasoning, breadcrumbs, chopped olives, etc.); and as a side grilled sweet corn on the cob with amazing bacon-butter sauce. I am loving my new Traeger Grill!!!!

BAC253-1.jpeg

Diz- dat's jes plain mean spirited there boy.....

naw...no mean intent at all. one of the things I love about smoking is it takes so long it forces you to mellow out and slow down the pace of things. I'd run some by, but SD is one heck of a walk.

Diz- dat's jes plain mean spirited there boy.....

Agreed. It's cruel and unusual punishment.:wink:

So, on your hams, they're just cured hams and you're cooking them and adding more smokey goodness? I never thought of doing one that way. Dunno why, but the Easter ham will never be the same when I do!. I smoked a turkey once. Stayed up all night with it. The only Thanksgiving turkey I ever liked.

Back