HOMEMADE EXPERIMENT

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I leave this thread open

• Yes, I want to hear of your progress(or failures)

• No, I think Your a nuisance to the rocketing comunity

Results are only viewable after voting.
BTW, to give you an idea of where I'm coming from on this, here are some YouTube video links to projects from the team I work with.

[YOUTUBE]73BqYu1__5M[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]1L30l-pYtpc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]959E5Oh7gPM[/YOUTUBE]

As you can see, the Pershing failed. The Delta III also failed on its first flight. Lots of lessons learned, the hard way, on both of those.

Of the four total flights between those three rockets, the smallest was right at about 20 feet tall, and the lightest was 350lbs.

-Kevin

Thanks. I'll be honest, and it's based purely on limited information, but you came across as a teenager at first, and that's the perception that many have.

Richard Nakka's site is considered the site for sugar motors. I cannot speak to any others, as I don't know enough about sugar motors to judge them.

My suggestion would be to invest the next couple years (yes, seriously, years) in gaining the propulsion knowledge required for your objective. Then consider what it takes to do the outhouse. Along the way of building the propulsion knowledge/experience, you can use the motors with rockets to learn what you'll need to know for your final goal.

Why so long?

Because knowledge and experience at one size motor does not necessarily translate to making something reliable in a larger size. You've got a long road ahead of you, just in terms of the motors. The airframe issues create their own problems.

-Kevin

Thanks for that advice.
and I'll check out the site thanks

Davis out

BTW, to give you an idea of where I'm coming from on this, here are some YouTube video links to projects from the team I work with.

As you can see, the Pershing failed. The Delta III also failed on its first flight. Lots of lessons learned, the hard way, on both of those.

Of the four total flights between those three rockets, the smallest was right at about 20 feet tall, and the lightest was 350lbs.

-Kevin

Not applicable, you did not have the talent on your team that Davis does.

Davis,

I think this is a FANTASTIC idea and I commend you and your team of crack Hollywood FX proffesionals and EX-NASA managers for conceiving such an exciting project. I can't wait to see this.

Although I personally never constructed a PVC N motor I might offer the following suggustens.

1. Get a laptop with a fixed keybored. That may help with the errant keystrokes that result in spelling errors at best and possible calculation errors at worst which can cause a mishap.

Yah I have another but it doesnt have all my stuff on it so I tend to not carry it around with me

2. Yes, that's a mistake we ALL have made at one time or another. It also happens more frequency as we get older.

Glad to hear...Was a real heart breaker to see it explode

3. That's a smart choice to deal with FAA, ATF and the local fire department instead of getting your team to come up with $62 for one of you to join NAR or TRA. TRA can be such a PITA when it comes to projects like this.

Yah the TRA NRA and TRIPOLI is a waste o money in my oppinion.
Especially since then you are restricted to what they want you to do

4. Yes I see real wholes on your team. Of course nun of that experience on your team could help in determining how to strap PVC tubes to a porta-pottie and fly it. Good thing you found this forum. DO NOT under any circumstances recruit any deep sea drilling enginers. I don't care how old they are. I might suggest getting a M.D. to join your team, preferably one who has be one since they were 18.

There are others on my team those are just the one that are I dont know the head.
And we are looking or a medical proffesional

5. Another smart choice although I don't think you'll have any problem getting 3 people on your team to ok it.

Yah, that way if something isnt ready it wont fly.

6. No one here will argue against that.

The book is amazing, haha

7. Dam straight!

Best Phrase ever haha

Please continue to post on your progress. This has to be the most interesting thread I have seen on this forum in a LONG time.

I will and My website will be working as soon as my host site is done with maintnance
And youtube i am AdvancedAero
Dont have anything up there yet but we will be video taping everything

Thanks or the encouragement

Davis

And sorry I messed up on the quoting

Last edited by a moderator:
Why on Earth would somebody want to launch a portapotty? Can't you just tip it over while somebody is using it (door side down preferably) like us normal people do?

Sylvie said:
AdvancedAeron said:
And we are looking or a medical proffesional
Stay put. They'll find you.

I'm thinking the same thing in a "Just follow the vultures sort of way."

Troj, I have to compliment you. Any time somebody needs a Manlift for some launch pad preparations you know he or she is doing it right. Awesome rockets!

By the way, Aeron, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT use a mixture of sugar, pool chemical and sulfur. JUST DON'T!

Why on Earth would somebody want to launch a portapotty? Can't you just tip it over while somebody is using it (door side down preferably) like us normal people do?

I'm thinking the same thing in a "Just follow the vultures sort of way."

Troj, I have to compliment you. Any time somebody needs a Manlift for some launch pad preparations you know he or she is doing it right. Awesome rockets!

By the way, Aeron, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT use a mixture of sugar, pool chemical and sulfur. JUST DON'T!

AERON is a short for aeronautics (it was supposed to be aero but I accidently typed the n)

And I dont plan to use pool chmicals or sulfur if you read any of m y earlier posts

KNO3(Pottasium Nitrate)
Sporitol(Natural Sugar)

Davis Out

I call your hoax! The spelling errors are more of poor English than a keyboard failure. A quick search on Google reveals that the only reference to Sporitol is on Spanish websites.

I see that you've tried to convince others of you plans to launch:
https://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=295547

Try a little harder the next time you try to hoodwink someone...

:bangpan:

JD

AERON is a short for aeronautics (it was supposed to be aero but I accidently typed the n)

And I dont plan to use pool chmicals or sulfur if you read any of m y earlier posts

KNO3(Pottasium Nitrate)
Sporitol(Natural Sugar)

Davis Out

I call your hoax! The spelling errors are more of poor English than a keyboard failure. A quick search on Google reveals that the only reference to Sporitol is on Spanish websites.

I see that you've tried to convince others of you plans to launch:
https://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=295547

Try a little harder the next time you try to hoodwink someone...

:bangpan:

JD

Ok so I put it on a different website no big deal.
And I will admit I messed up its sorbitol.

OK happy

Davis Out

Yah the TRA NRA and TRIPOLI is a waste o money in my oppinion.
Especially since then you are restricted to what they want you to do

I some what take offense to this. The TRA and NAR, not the NRA, have done a tremendous amount for this hobby. They recently had a victory in a lawsuit from the BATF. They also provide an insurance to help protect rocketeers. Also, 99% of the members on this forum are members of one of these orginizations. I would suggest doing a little more research on either of these orginizations and see what they actually do.

Dave

I'm staying out of this one. (The mods all go "WHEW")
This guy can't spell, is nowhere near being a "professional," has no experience, obviously doesn't have a clue what he's into.
This should make for some great watching.....

I'm staying out of this one. (The mods all go "WHEW")
This guy can't spell, is nowhere near being a "professional," has no experience, obviously doesn't have a clue what he's into.
This should make for some great watching.....

Oh, it's good innocent fun. He's just some kid making up some stuff he thinks is funny, and posting it - it IS the internet, after all.

Me, I'm going to build a big rocket made out of a concrete tube - concrete is strong, right? - and put a lawn chair in it, and then make a parachute out of something cheap, mix together some match heads and lighter fluid, and fly to the moon. Which way should I point the thing? Oh, and I'll need some ziplock bags full of air. Which kind do you recommend? My crack team (one is a real policeman!) tells me to use the ones with the blue+yellow=green seals on them, but I'm not sure I'll be able to tell the color out in space.

PVC? Why? Obviously you have some resources for funding for this project so I would suggest looking into a different material for your casing.

Just out of curiosity, what is the fin configuration going to be with this? And how are you going to determine the margin of stability? Got any drawings you can share with the rest of us?

Good luck.

-Dave

Me, I'm going to build a big rocket made out of a concrete tube - concrete is strong, right? - and put a lawn chair in it, and then make a parachute out of something cheap, mix together some match heads and lighter fluid, and fly to the moon. Which way should I point the thing? Oh, and I'll need some ziplock bags full of air. Which kind do you recommend? My crack team (one is a real policeman!) tells me to use the ones with the blue+yellow=green seals on them, but I'm not sure I'll be able to tell the color out in space.

this has to be the best reply i've ever seen to a thread like this:clap:

Have you considered a hybrid or liquid motor that uses the contents of the portapotty? If the specific impulse is too low, wait a few days before launching. Make sure your team eats at Taco Bell.

Have you considered a hybrid or liquid motor that uses the contents of the portapotty? If the specific impulse is too low, wait a few days before launching. Make sure your team eats at Taco Bell.

Be serious, you are making a mockery of this thred.

I some what take offense to this. The TRA and NAR, not the NRA, have done a tremendous amount for this hobby. They recently had a victory in a lawsuit from the BATF. They also provide an insurance to help protect rocketeers. Also, 99% of the members on this forum are members of one of these orginizations. I would suggest doing a little more research on either of these orginizations and see what they actually do.

Dave

Sorry did not mean to offend anyone.
That is just the way I see it.
And Im sorry I was typing fast.

Davis Out

Priceless!:D

------
Now I have to wipe of my monitor... spit coffee all over it.:caffeine:

The "potty launch" thread here is going about as well as on other forums.

I wonder what the CG/CP relationship is on a port-o-poddy?

Oh, it's good innocent fun. He's just some kid making up some stuff he thinks is funny, and posting it - it IS the internet, after all.

Im sorry to inform you youre wrong.

Thanks

Davis Out

My sinceere apologies to the forem and the advanced aeronat team!

It's Okay, At least your not just complaining like everybody else.
And who doesnt like a little entertainment half way threw the second page.

Thanks For being helpful.

Thanks

Davis Out

PVC? Why? Obviously you have some resources for funding for this project so I would suggest looking into a different material for your casing.

Just out of curiosity, what is the fin configuration going to be with this? And how are you going to determine the margin of stability? Got any drawings you can share with the rest of us?

Good luck.

-Dave

Hey, Well what do you suggest if you dont mind me asking?
And as I have previously wrote we are still doing both thrust and burn rate testing .
And as soon as we get conclusive data up we will post it.

Thanks

Davis Out

I see that your website is up and working! Very nice site.

Is that you on the top rock in the picture?

Back