how do you justify this hobby with your spouse?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't justify rocketry to my wife. I got her involved. It took a awhile, but she now is a better builder than I am. She is a level 2 who is planning her level 3.

That's cool.

My wife doesn't usually have the patience for detailed or long-duration projects, but she has persevered through things like building a Semroc Little Joe II.

I've told this story before, but it's worth repeating. My wife was building the scale Little Joe II a couple of years ago when she asked me, "If you're just Level 2, why am I building a Skill Level 4 kit?"

-- Roger

heck, I just started a rocket company then HIRED her...

Now I'm her boss...

...and she gave me permission to say that!

LOL

Guess who owns and runs JonRocket.com ... both on paper and in actual practice.

Hint, it's not me. :)

-- Roger

Justify. Hmmmm?

Here's what I did. I talked my favorite restaurant owner into putting his logo on my rocket, which looks a lot like a channel catfish and for which I am to receive a modest sponsership fee.

Then I took my bride out to dinner. ;)

1. I think she knows it keeps the voices in my head quiet
2. She has her diversions; scrapbooking, yard sales, outlet malls
3. I always take whichever of our 3 kids that has no plans to the launch
4. Even though I have my own bank account, I watch how much I spend on rockets

Building and collecting rockets wasn't the problem I had...it was collecting those bright orange road cones and clown shoes that just pissed her off!

Is there a particular aspect she may enjoy? Someone mentioned the math. Some ladies are way into sewing (think parachutes man!) Maybe she would like to try a rocket? My wife is quite supportive but she expressed interest in building a rocket so I picked up an Onyx. She made the fin fillets look like she was a seasoned professional! Anyway, I'm the artsy crafty one so she is cool with me doing whatever. Good luck!

Buy her some fishnet stockings.....or rather, buy you some fishnet stockings!

What works for one person may not work for another.

Everyone in this world is diffrent, What works for one might not work for another.

Being the man part of the relationship, you need to figure out what works for you and most importantly her.

A balance is what makes it work.

P.S. If you end up in fishnet stockings, Then this might not be the right forum for you.. LOL !!!!

Tom

Buy her some fishnet stockings.....or rather, buy you some fishnet stockings!

Bingo! That's the key. Everyone truly understanding the situation but that only comes with experience. We went to a Halloween party last year and part of my outfit was fishnets. When the sales lady went to ring them up with several other items she remarked "and the fishnets are also yours?" To which Randy replied, "no, they're mine, but she's going to wear them."

;)

And yes, he also enjoys a good fashion show.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

Bingo! That's the key. Everyone truly understanding the situation but that only comes with experience. We went to a Halloween party last year and part of my outfit was fishnets. When the sales lady went to ring them up with several other items she remarked "and the fishnets are also yours?" To which Randy replied, "no, they're mine, but she's going to wear them."

;)

And yes, he also enjoys a good fashion show.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

and lets us not forget the 6" heals! LOL:)

I just bought my Girlfriend a Fliskits Whatchamacallit and an Estes Baby Bertha. Problem solved!

Well, I find that it helps to remind my wife of some of the other hobbies I COULD be in... I USED to do classic cars-- my brother still does... he's got about $20 grand in a 69 Ford pickup with a tricked out everything... and STILL needs to eventually do the paint job... He's got a 3 year old Mustang he's paying off... I used to help a bus driver buddy of mine with his classic cars-- he's got a 57 Chevy, a 58 Chevy, a 56 Ford, and some other stuff... heck he'll drop $20 grand JUST on a PROJECT CAR, straight out of the barn! Putting one to carshow standards will sink up to $30,000 more into the car... That is SERIOUS cash. My great uncle rides motorcycles/trikes and has boats and stuff... BIG BIG MONEY toys...

You name it, just about EVERY other hobby is more expensive than rocketry... I know guys who've had $20 grand sunk into layouts and rolling stock for a model railroad, or twice that tied up in large scale multiengine RC aircraft... you name it. Of course I know some folks into HPR that have MAJOR money tied up in that too...

I just fly LPR/MPR and have no interest in HPR, but I don't forget to remind the wife "aren't you glad I have a CHEAP hobby!" every time I get an opportunity. She's pretty supportive of it, because she realizes that 1) I'm at home or at a launch, 2) Keira's into it now, 3) I DO focus on the "cheap end" of the hobby, and 4) it's better than the alternatives-- sinking TONS of money into cars or bikes or boats or whatever else, or sitting around at a bar or chasing other women...

She has her stuff, and I have mine... we get along well that way... and we do lots of "non-rocketry" related family stuff as well, so we have balance...

Later! OL JR :)

I'm not much help in the "how to justify to your XYZ" category -- my wife knows I love this stuff, and is fine with it. Matter of fact, she likes my rocket buddies, and gets along well with them.

She hasn't built much, but she is Level 2, with plans of going for Level 3. Does that mean I'm cheating?

At the same time, I've missed launches in order to attend things for the kids.

It's all a matter of priorities.

-Kevin

Well, I find that it helps to remind my wife of some of the other hobbies I COULD be in... I USED to do classic cars-- my brother still does... he's got about $20 grand in a 69 Ford pickup with a tricked out everything... and STILL needs to eventually do the paint job... He's got a 3 year old Mustang he's paying off... I used to help a bus driver buddy of mine with his classic cars-- he's got a 57 Chevy, a 58 Chevy, a 56 Ford, and some other stuff... heck he'll drop $20 grand JUST on a PROJECT CAR, straight out of the barn! Putting one to carshow standards will sink up to $30,000 more into the car... That is SERIOUS cash. My great uncle rides motorcycles/trikes and has boats and stuff... BIG BIG MONEY toys...

You name it, just about EVERY other hobby is more expensive than rocketry... I know guys who've had $20 grand sunk into layouts and rolling stock for a model railroad, or twice that tied up in large scale multiengine RC aircraft... you name it. Of course I know some folks into HPR that have MAJOR money tied up in that too...

I just fly LPR/MPR and have no interest in HPR, but I don't forget to remind the wife "aren't you glad I have a CHEAP hobby!" every time I get an opportunity. She's pretty supportive of it, because she realizes that 1) I'm at home or at a launch, 2) Keira's into it now, 3) I DO focus on the "cheap end" of the hobby, and 4) it's better than the alternatives-- sinking TONS of money into cars or bikes or boats or whatever else, or sitting around at a bar or chasing other women...

She has her stuff, and I have mine... we get along well that way... and we do lots of "non-rocketry" related family stuff as well, so we have balance...

Later! OL JR :)

JR hits the nail on the head again! Absolutely couldn't agree with you more. All those hobbies you listed rack up the dollars especially classic cars. I had a couple early Camero's no where near car show quality, but they were clean and nice. Just maintaining them cost money. I was always wrenching on them and after awhile it got old. Reason why they were my daily drivers..but yes rocketry is very inexpensive at certain levels.

My wife does not say much about my rocketry habit because she knows what my old hobby cost (blown alcohol dragster). The only time she complains is when the house gets over taken by rockets.

My better 2/3rds doesn't really build many rockets, but she does go with me to just about every Rocket Club activity, Launch and outreach program/demo.

I support her ceramics Hobby, along with whatever She happens to find interesting. Biggest thing I believe is that we try to do as many things "together" as we can; Camping, Bass'in, Bowling, Hiking, Scouting (Both boy & Girl), Ceramic Craft shows, Family gatherings and of course Rocketry......it's all good:)

I've been building and flying model rockets way LONG before I meet her. She and the kids have always been part of whatever I do with leasure time so I guess it's always been sort of natural. As in the John Denver song "Follow me where I go, what I do and who I know, Make it part of you to be a part of me". And it works both ways;)
We have model rockets in every room of the house except the Kitchen & bathroom without her ever giving me any grief about it at all. Guess we're kind stuck on each other...35years and counting LOL!!!

Last edited:
Girlfriend is just going to have to deal with it --and to her credit, she does quite well and takes a passing interest. She may not understand why I'm all amped about a cardboard tube or hunk of balsa, but she recognizes that I'm excited about them, at least...

In short, I don't make an attempt to justify a damned thing, even for the sake of social niceties. Never occurred to me TO justify it. My hobbies (including rockets) were part of my life before she was.

Later!

--Coop

JR hits the nail on the head again! Absolutely couldn't agree with you more. All those hobbies you listed rack up the dollars especially classic cars. I had a couple early Camero's no where near car show quality, but they were clean and nice. Just maintaining them cost money. I was always wrenching on them and after awhile it got old. Reason why they were my daily drivers..but yes rocketry is very inexpensive at certain levels.

Man, I hear where you are coming from. I restored a `73 Camaro and it cost a bundle....but probably not half as much as your Cameros....

Man, I hear where you are coming from. I restored a `73 Camaro and it cost a bundle....but probably not half as much as your Cameros....

Cameros are much rarer, Jerry. Don't try and brag on your run of the mill Camaro.

kj

I'm an unemployed, stay at home house husband. My wife works as an RN. I'm the one who cooks all the meals, does the laundry, unloads the dish washer, potties the dogs(all three), takes out the garbage, empties the litter boxes(2 freakin cats), mows the lawn, and all the other stuff that pertains too everyday household activities. Yes...I could be down at the bar with my buddies, but what would that get me besides a trip to the bathroom every half hour.
The wife has her harliquin books and I have my rockets. So when we go to a launch she usually brings something to read and I go play.

Back