What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ROC launch had some nice weather today and the winds were reasonably calm until about 9:30 or 10:00 AM. By 10:30 it was blowing pretty good and by 11:00 the dust was up and probably 20 mph winds or so.

Really stunning 'M' flight but I won't steal his thunder. Perhaps he has some pictures and data for us.

Working on two of my builds... Bought a 4' clear tube guard (for florescent lights) from Home Depot with the intention of it becoming the payload section of a Maxi Icarus mod/clone (adding a booster stage), as well as for other BT-60 payloaders.

The J500G from last night:
[video=youtube;PbxlaXt3XYg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbxlaXt3XYg[/video]

Ari.

I picked up a couple FG tubes from DLB's sale and put together a 4" Gizmo and 4" Jart. Jart has a 54mm motor mount and the Giz has a 38mm. Just need to finish up nose cone av-bay on the Jart, fillets, rail buttons then paint. Cant wait to fly these next weekend.
Jart 013.jpg

Attended yet another ROC 'W' blowout. I got there at 8:30, got the Formula 98 up on a J350, and by 10-10:30, it was windy enough that I was not going to chase my rockets 2/3rds of a mile. Even dual deploy was still a chase.

Got some good pics of the Formula 98's maiden and a TRF'ers L3 (if he got it back ok). I'll await his postings first.

I picked up a couple FG tubes from DLB's sale and put together a 4" Gizmo and 4" Jart. Jart has a 54mm motor mount and the Giz has a 38mm. Just need to finish up nose cone av-bay on the Jart, fillets, rail buttons then paint. Cant wait to fly these next weekend.

Wondered what you had planned for those :grin:

Shame the club launch was cancelled today, but early forecasts make next Sunday look nearly ideal!

Flew my Formula 150 on a CTI M2250 to 8791'. Also had a FAST flight on my Mini Eagle Claw with a CTI H410!:)
Also got to see Tom fly his Bigger Deuce on 2 M's! Great flight! I am sure he will post pictures soon.

Put up an I200W and an I218R at the local SARG launch.

As this was the last launch of Rocket Season, I bought a 3" Wildman Black Dark Star from Bay Area Rocketry as Building Season has officially begun. Opened the bag and it looks like all the black glass is present and accounted for but I didn't count the bulkheads and centering rings.

C'mon Kit, LUNAR may have another launch in May. Right? Right?

Great seeing you at the launch today.

Ari.

C'mon Kit, LUNAR may have another launch in May. Right? Right?

Great seeing you at the launch today.

Ari.
I certainly hope so but have fond memories of last year's May launch being a blow-out with high winds. I have a picture of Bill Orvis flying a very large and complex kite midway through the day.

It was great fun seeing your Sewer Pipe fly today. There's just something about tube fin rockets that makes them special.

In other news, an alternate pilot has been selected in the event that Kitty is unable to fly the mission or just chickens-out. When asked how he felt about being lobbed into the aether, the new crewman provided the cryptic response of "These aren't the droids we're looking for." He also doubles as security at the BCR facility.

KosmoKitty5.jpg

I spent a half hour or more trying to figuring out why my HobbyLinc Order shipped from Gorgia, all the way to California on its way to South Dakota.

Someone needs to do a cartoon of a parachute deployment fault, "These aren't the drogues we're looking for."

Just got done spraying fluorescent red band around middle of QCC Explorer nose cone.
Nothing like tempting the clock by stepping outside to do that while the stir fry simmers for 8 minutes in order to take advantage of the weather while we have it;
" chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 5pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 79. "

Today is the monthly low-power launch at Wilsonville, OR.

I am mostly going to help set up, but I am bringing a newly built Semroc Vega and Semroc Maxi-Micron.

I certainly hope so but have fond memories of last year's May launch being a blow-out with high winds. I have a picture of Bill Orvis flying a very large and complex kite midway through the day.

Oh yeah, that's when Nolan and I both failed our L1s: they flew beautifully and then flew away.

Ari.

Got the clear coat on my Alien8 and SA-14 Archer. Started putting color on my Long Over Due. Used red and purple on the body, with my first attempt at blending two colors into each other. Will post some pics once the inside of the tubes are painted and glued on.

I launched my two new Semroc models -- a Vega and a Maxi-Micron -- three times each. B6-4 and C6-5s. All great flights, with just a bit of walking involved. I flew them "naked;" I'll be priming and painting them after I build a spray booth.

I and the other OROC regulars also helped out a bunch of newbies get their rockets in the air. This was very successful. One of the families lost a RTF model to the trees, but I think they were, overall, very satisfied with their new hobby.

While I'm no fan of RTF rockets, they are a great way for beginners to get into the hobby fast.

Asked for feedback on a design in a thread here. Any and every bit of advice is helpful!

Friday: Drove from Omaha to Argonia with Troj.

Saturday: Attended Kloudburst. Launched Wildman Warrior Jr. on CTI J394 to 7145 feet for a Level 2 cert flight and successfully recovered for a L2. :wink: Drove home.

Sunday: Looked at GPS and altimeter data from Saturday flight. Went with my daughter to meet Clayton Anderson (Nebraska's only astronaut.) Got a signed glossy for my rocket club.

All in all, it was a great weekend for rocketry!

Friday: Drove from Omaha to Argonia with Troj.

Friday: Rode to Argonia with dcbertelsen (he drove, I surfed the Internet :) )

Saturday: Attended Kloudburst. Launched Wildman Warrior Jr. on CTI J394 to 7145 feet for a Level 2 cert flight and successfully recovered for a L2. :wink: Drove home.

Saturday, I signed two certs -- dcbertelsen's Level 2, and a WSU student's Level 1. We (dcbertelsen & I) spent an hour or two helping Manny try to find his rocket.

I also learned what the Rocket Pasture looks like when it's green. That was a new experience, for me!

Sunday, I thought about rockets a little bit, and worked on a badly neglected bathroom project.

-Kevin

Playing around with 6" sewer pipe configurations on the back on happy flights with the 3" tuber.

Wondering if this looks too stubby.

Ari.

IMG_2074.jpg

Playing around with 6" sewer pipe configurations on the back on happy flights with the 3" tuber.

Ari.

It might be a bit stubby, but sometimes stubby rockets are just the thing. The main question is: is it stable? (Also do you have enough room for recovery gear?)

:wink:

I didn't do too much today. Took a nap and came up with an idea for a heliroc configuration, I just need to figure out how exactly to do the joints for the pop-open blades.

I also pulled a couple of kits out of the build pile, and decided to start my Ventris. haven't done much beyond sanding the fins a bit and smearing them with a light coat of wood filler.

Ari.
I think the aspect ratio of the tube fins is too high. If the tube fins are 6" diameter, their length should then be about 4-4.5".

You might also try to go with 7 smaller diameter tube fins but finding the correct diameter might be a problem.

Don't forget the discussion we had about the motor sticking an inch or three out of the back of the motor mount to get the CG down closer to the CP which is most like down inside the tube can.

Check out the work done by Larry Brand on tube fin rockets over on Rocketreviews.com. Last I heard he was working on his L3 using 5.5" paper tubing.

Just got back from Orangeburg flying rockets, including the bigger Deuce. Deuce98 boost M1100.JPG
I'll be posting the videos to the build thread when they finish uploading :grin:

I launched 21 times today at our monthly club launch. I am worn out. I hope I can catch up on my sleep at work tomorrow!

It might be a bit stubby, but sometimes stubby rockets are just the thing. The main question is: is it stable? (Also do you have enough room for recovery gear?)

:wink:

These are 6" and 4" tubes. You can pack an Apollo chute in there. It's embarrassing how much room this thing has got.

I think the aspect ratio of the tube fins is too high. If the tube fins are 6" diameter, their length should then be about 4-4.5".

You might also try to go with 7 smaller diameter tube fins but finding the correct diameter might be a problem.

Don't forget the discussion we had about the motor sticking an inch or three out of the back of the motor mount to get the CG down closer to the CP which is most like down inside the tube can.

Check out the work done by Larry Brand on tube fin rockets over on Rocketreviews.com. Last I heard he was working on his L3 using 5.5" paper tubing.

I usually cut the fin tubes 1.2-1.5x diameter. 8" in this case. The CP may well be inside the fin can, but finding an L3CC who might believe that is the trick.

Ari.

I didn't do too much today. Took a nap and came up with an idea for a heliroc configuration, I just need to figure out how exactly to do the joints for the pop-open blades.

What about something like this -

hinge.JPG

They are in the model plane section of the hobby store. They use them for the ruder/flaps ect. I've used them for just that purpose before :)

Krusty

Back