A few pics of my LOC Iris

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan

Reaction score
I tried to get a few pics to show the mirror finish of my recently completed LOC Iris (sometimes called LOC Isis, they seem to use the names interchangeably). It was polished with Sonus SFX1, then SFX3, then got a final coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant.

Iris.jpg

Iris3.jpg

Iris2.jpg

Iris4.jpg

Aye carumba. that puts the finish on my LOC Isis to shame.

Very nice!

If you don't mind me asking, what primer/paint/methodology did you use to produce that very nice finish?

Greg

Very nice!

If you don't mind me asking, what primer/paint/methodology did you use to produce that very nice finish?

Greg

All the primer and paint was Dupli-Color enamel.
- 6 coats of high build primer. I needed that many coats to completely cover the spiral marks in the tube.
- Sanded between primer coats with 600 grit sandpaper.
- Sprayed 3 coats of each color, first the white, then the red, then black.
- Masked using Scotch Premium Automotive masking tape and plastic trash bags.
- Wetsanded between color coats with 2000 grit
- Waited 2 days for each color to dry before masking for the next color.
- 3 days after the painting was completed I polished it with Sonus SFX-1, then SFX-3
- I put on one coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant (aka synthetic wax). The same stuff I use on my car:

IMG_0652.jpg

That's one heck of a finish. Most excellent.

Thanks! I see that you are over on the MD Eastern Shore. Weather permitting, I will bring this rocket to MDRA Red Glare XIV for its maiden launch. This will be the first time I have been to a MDRA event so I'm not sure what to expect. But my rockets are starting to get too big to launch at little Davidsonville Park.

All the primer and paint was Dupli-Color enamel.
- 6 coats of high build primer. I needed that many coats to completely cover the spiral marks in the tube.
- Sanded between primer coats with 600 grit sandpaper.
- Sprayed 3 coats of each color, first the white, then the red, then black.
- Masked using Scotch Premium Automotive masking tape and plastic trash bags.
- Wetsanded between color coats with 2000 grit
- Waited 2 days for each color to dry before masking for the next color.
- 3 days after the painting was completed I polished it with Sonus SFX-1, then SFX-3
- I put on one coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant (aka synthetic wax). The same stuff I use on my car:

IMG_0652.jpg

Thanks for the information. Great craftsmanship, that one.

That is a mighty fine rocket hauler, too!

Greg

And that's a killer paint job....You need to sub-contract !

Nathan do you fly with MDRA or somewhere else ?

No, until now I have only launched rockets in a local park or near my house, but I plan to start attending MDRA events since the park is really too small for mid power rockets and I'm only about 30 minutes away from the Eastern Shore. I will be coming to Red Glare but the MDRA website is not very clear on what is required if I want to launch rockets. If I join MDRA online for $25, is there an additional launch fee when I get there? If so, how much? And there is a safety inspection but it doesn't say what is is required. I built my LOC Iris by the instructions so it has no positive motor retention. Will a friction-fit motor pass safety inspection? Is there somewhere online where I can read the safety checklist? And is there likely to be a vendor onsite selling Aerotech SU motors?

It's $25 to join for the year (I joined in January) and the "flight fee" for the weekned which I believe is $10. This will be my firtst time flying there - I have been out 3 x before though. Safety check in (model and high power) should be standard NAR safety standards which should be on their website. There should be plenty of people there to sell you a motor. I went to Red Glare last year and had no problem blowing about $250 on all kinds of rocketry related swag. The Road Kill gang makes some pretty good chicken too....

WOW! That thing looks really, really nice. I have a LOC Lil' Nuke Pro Maxx that will be ready for finishing this weekend (temps above 50!) and I will be sure to steal your process...

Now I need to find someone that carries the high build primer.

(BTW, Not sure if I'd hang a weed whacker and rake so close to that Porsche....)

...I have a LOC Lil' Nuke Pro Maxx that will be ready for finishing this weekend (temps above 50!)...)

I forgot to mention that I heat my paint room to about 80° with electric space heaters before painting. That resolved problems I was having with humidity causing dull areas in glossy paint (called blushing).

...Now I need to find someone that carries the high build primer...)

Around here I can get it at either Advanced Auto Parts or Pep Boys. One problem with using Dupli-Color spray paint is that they come in car paint colors so they are almost all metallic colors. I prefer non-metallic colors for rockets.

Thanks! I see that you are over on the MD Eastern Shore. Weather permitting, I will bring this rocket to MDRA Red Glare XIV for its maiden launch. This will be the first time I have been to a MDRA event so I'm not sure what to expect. But my rockets are starting to get too big to launch at little Davidsonville Park.
Every one is pretty friendly and you'll start to notice rockets and people from the rocket forums. Great way to spend a day. A good variety of vendors. I have no doubt that you'll have a good time. May the wind lay down that weekend.

I lost my LOC Iris at Red Glare XIV today on its very first launch, with a F50-7. I made the mistake of using a 24" parachute when it was a bit windy and it drifted WAAAAY into the old corn field across the road. I looked for it for over an hour but never found it.

I lost my LOC Iris at Red Glare XIV today on its very first launch, with a F50-7. I made the mistake of using a 24" parachute when it was a bit windy and it drifted WAAAAY into the old corn field across the road. I looked for it for over an hour but never found it.

Nooooooooooooooo

Back