RED GLARE XII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryT

Reaction score
Too early to start this thread? Not in my book:grin: I'm guessing 4.5 months to go.

I bet there will be quite a few vindicators there as well...... I know mine will be. Perhaps we need to swipe a christmas tree from a drag strip....

Hey gary

I keep on missing these things all the time I'm gonna try my absolute best to make it to this one. Got my darkstar just begging for a N800, and that's not gonna happen in orangeburg !

We gotta love these new androids all you have to do is talk to type, I hate keyboards anyway.:grin:

It'll be a while yet before there is an actual date set but its usually around the 2nd weekend in April.

You should try and make it Don, The boys at MDRA throw an incredible launch! There my 2 favorite launches every year.

I hope to have at least one MPR for that event (maybe two, we'll see—it's my first foray into MPR). I've been to a couple of MDRA launches—heck, they're almost in my back yard. I've enjoyed them every time. If they let people like me join, well, I think I'd like to. Folks have always been very kind and patient with me. Well, most anyway. It's always been a good show.

Last edited:
Should be a good time. Gearing up for that launch, planning to attend all 3 days this year.

Who knows, there could be a Level 3 certification attempt...

Well my friends, it's official. The MDRA webpage for RG is up and Logo/Tshirt designs are comming in. If you have an Idea for the shirt/logo, submit it on the MDRA site. At last check, registeration was not activated yet but probably will be soon. As a fellow flyer and club member (and the poor slob running the cattle chute) I thought I'd mention here, as a reminder for those that don't make it out regularly, that MDRA flys mostly rails (exception:"A" rack has 1/8 and 3/16 rods for modrocs and LIGHT mid power). We fly 1010 for rack "B", 1010 & 1515 for rack "C" and unistrut for the away cell towers. This year there will probably be only two pads (mid/HP) with rods to accomidate saucers and pyramid designs (pads B1 & B2). Everyone else is encouraged to add rail buttons to your rocket if you haven't allready. There are a number of vendors on site who sell them cheap and the club sells all three sizes at the regesteration table. If not, there will probably be a short line for a rod. You've been forwarned. For those flying BIG projects (read ANYTHING FLYING OFF THE AWAY CELL), you must register your projects on the MDRA homepage. L3 Cert flights in particular must register. There will most probably be a seperate RSO for away cell flights. This will allow the BOD to better manage the flights and get everyone in the air quickly and safely. Additionally there may be a need, based on wind direction and speed, to lower the operational ceiling in order to keep recovery on the host property so plan accordingly. I encourage everyone to check the MDRA website frequiently. As updates become available the info will be posted there. ALL THINGS RED GLARE CAN BE FOUND THERE. Additionaly, info is available on the MDRA Facebook page. I look forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.

Last edited:
Well, since we had to make the decision to not attend NARCON, we may be attending Red Glare :)

We will look into it this week and make a final decision shortly.

Should be fun!

Well, since we had to make the decision to not attend NARCON, we may be attending Red Glare :)

We will look into it this week and make a final decision shortly.

Should be fun!

WOOHOO!!!! fliskits at RG!!!!

Tom

Can't wait! If all goes well, I'll be flying the 1/6th scale Mercury Redstone on a central M1419W and four K550Ws.

I've also got a CTI M840W long burn for my Ultimate Wildman.

WOOHOO!!!! fliskits at RG!!!!

Tom

Well, it looks like it :) Got my hotel confirmation so we're set...

Nick, I will have to make sure to get a pix of you with your 1/6 Merc and me with my 1/130 Merc... LOL

Drag race??

Pending FAA approval, Ryan Sebastian, David Reese and I will be flying my 11.5" Little John on a 50,000Ns Infinity P7200 :dark:

Todd Harrison

Awesome! Looking forward to it, From what I've been hearing there's going to be some really incredible flights this Red Glare.

Last Fall, the link from the website for SleepInn gave a route with the code / discount figured in.

Pending FAA approval, Ryan Sebastian, David Reese and I will be flying my 11.5" Little John on a 50,000Ns Infinity P7200 :dark:

Todd Harrison

Not sure why you need FAA approval, MDRA has a standing 17000' waiver and that will be lowered by the BOD on site as conditions warrent. Additionally, you MUST go to the MDRA home page to register any large projects, READ: ANYTHING OFF THE AWAY CELL. All large flights will be coridinated, RSO'd and managed seperately from the rest of the flights. This is done to keep the pads full, to keep the flights moving and to keep everything SAFE. This has been a continuing point of discussion at most of the regular club meetings. I can say with certainty, the BOD wants to see everybody fly BUT, due to local issues, they (the BOD) WILL enforce ALTITUDE and RECOVERY restrictions. I can't stress this enough, ALL LARGE FLIGHTS MUST BE REGISTERED AT THE MDRA HOME PAGE! There are a large number of Away Cell flights being proposed and any flights that are not registered run the risk of being bumped for those that are. The link to register is right on the main page at the MDRA home site. As of this writing, no one has yet done so. This HAS to happen. For questions of specific flight waivers that could exceed the standing field waiver, folks really need to contact the BOD, Bob or Neil in particular.
Again, for all things Red Glare go to www.mdrocketry.org .
Personally, I can't wait to see some of these beasties fly. This is gonna be a great Red Glare.

Not sure why you need FAA approval, MDRA has a standing 17000' waiver

From Todd's first post...

11.5" Little John on a 50,000Ns Infinity P7200

This has been on Neil and Bob's radar for a few months, so hopefully we have satisfied that requirement. We'll get on registering it, actually I'll let Todd do it since its his rocket. :kill:

I do recall Bob mentioning something about this at the last meeting. Personally I'm stoked. Each RG launch brings more and more large projects and this one is shaping up to continue that trend. Last I heard Dan and Steve had worked out the scheduling conflicts and DO plan on being there and having the mega Fat Boy/3qtr scale Patriot drag race. Nick is bringing his huge MercRedstone. Ect...ect...ect. This is gonna be AWSOME!
@ Gary; What are you planning. I KNOW you have a few way cool flights up your sleve.
45 days and counting.:w:

Last edited:
I'm actually going a bit bigger with the Redstone this time. The original plan was for a central M1419W, but that didn't have the kick I was looking for. So now I'm going with the mighty M1939W as my central motor.:headbang: Still using four K550Ws as the outboards.

This is shaping up to be a pretty awesome Red Glare! :)

I'm still not a 100% on what I'm flying yet but for now my tentative plans are:

6" HELLFIRE - CTI M2250CS - 9500'
VORLON 5 - CTI M1520BS - 14,200'
6" MAD DOG - CTI DEMO - M2245IM - 12,200'

The M2245 Imax Demo goes in the 75mm 6XL Case, Its actually 7 Full grains, At 9874Ns its a 92.7% M, Should be an awesome flight.

I'll also be flying some smaller stuff as well, Lets just hope for GOOD! weather.

Back