Best grease available at ACE?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggplant

L3 | NAR 93664, TRA 17791
Reaction score
I "misplaced" the grease that came with my 29/40-120 case. What is the best grease to use with it that is commonly available at local hardware stores? The launch is this weekend, so I don't have time to wait for shipping. Thanks!

This post may not be much help, but take it for what it is - I've never found a grease similar to what's provided at the local hardware, the main thing to look for is that it's synthetic. On the other hand, I've used everything from dialectric heat-sink grease to the stuff found in the valley between my nose and cheek...

I "misplaced" the grease that came with my 29/40-120 case. What is the best grease to use with it that is commonly available at local hardware stores? The launch is this weekend, so I don't have time to wait for shipping. Thanks!

White grease

Many have said that Vasoline works fine. You need so little, and something like Lithium grease is high priced. Vasoline has worked fine for me.

That is what we used in the 90s. I still use it on AT hardware. Switched to DOW 111 for snap ring cases. No clue if there is a bad side to it.

Many have said that Vasoline works fine. You need so little, and something like Lithium grease is high priced. Vasoline has worked fine for me.

Vasoline melts/liquefies at 99 degrees (just above body temperature). Not your best choice for rocket motors.

Vasoline melts/liquefies at 99 degrees (just above body temperature). Not your best choice for rocket motors.

And Aerotech recommends not using petrolium based lubricants - somewhere in the instructions...

And Aerotech recommends not using petrolium based lubricants - somewhere in the instructions...

From Aerotech's website FAQ:

Q. What type of grease should I use with RMS motors?

A. Synco "Super Lube" is the recommended grease for all AeroTech reloadable motors. It is available from AeroTech in three different sizes.​
There are a range of petroleum and synthetic greases with differing viscosities and temperature ranges. Vasoline, or petroleum jelly was developed for use on human extremities and thus has a low viscosity at low temperatures. I'm not saying it won't work on high power flights, I'm just saying it is clearly not your best choice.

Last edited:
You may be able to find Synco Super Lube at a bicycle shop. That is where I got mine.

I agree with the temp comment. Notice this quote from one vendor's site:

Aerotech Superlube Synthetic Grease 85gm Tube - Ideal for lubrication for Aetotech RMS and Rouse-Tech motor systems. Use the Superlube Synthetic Grease on threads, o-rings and the lining of the motor case to protech the aluminum parts of RMS motor systems. Superlube Synthetic Grease will not only make it easier to clean you motor after firing, it will vaporize during motor firing and help protech the aluminum casing and parts by creating a vapor barrier that will help prevent potential heat damage.

True? If so, super high temp synthetic grease seems counterproductive if it does not "vaporize". :)

True? If so, super high temp synthetic grease seems counterproductive if it does not "vaporize". :)

Vaporize? :confused2:

Not in my experience. It is still there when I clean my motors no matter what size or burn profile.

EDIT: I now find your quote on the Aerotech site. Taken in context they are saying there is a vapor barrier (expansion of the grease and transition to a gaseous state) during the motor burn. This is likely true and, as they mention, would help to inhibit the release of pressure from the motor itself. What I have found though is that the Super Lube does not completely vaporize, i.e., much of it is left on the threads and o-rings after the flight.

Last edited:
You could always use peanut butter?

Then, all you would need is bread and jam and you have lunch at the launch. :kill: Or, if you are like me, all you would need are the dill pickels, bread and peanut butter...Hmmm, I'm hungry...:rolleyes:

Then, all you would need is bread and jam and you have lunch at the launch. :kill: Or, if you are like me, all you would need are the dill pickels, bread and peanut butter...Hmmm, I'm hungry...:rolleyes:

I agree +1 we are all crazy and a couple sandwiches short of a picnic so lets have one! LOL:D:D

I use high temperature wheel bearing grease from the auto parts store -- about $2.50 for a tub of it.

-Kevin

Super Lube synthetic grease is what is in that little tube that comes with many AT cases. Available at Ace and many Big Box stores.

When I bought my 29/180 case from Red Arrow Hobbies, Dave threw in a 3oz tube for free :D

Per AT Instructions "Petroleum Jelly or similar" can be used when the grease that came with the motor runs out.

lube.jpg

I usually just use vaseline in my hobby line cases.

Based on a "tip" from a fellow club member, when I forgot it one day, I just used sunscreen.

It worked fine and the case doesn't seem any worse for it. The amount of grease on the o rings is miniscule anyways. Just enough to make them shine.

Maybe just a tiny bit more on the threads but I use very little grease.

Last edited:
Remember, the grease does not make the seal. It is simply a lubricant that allows the o-ring to slide and not twist as you tighten the casing.

Anything that is slippery will work. A little bit will work. Don't used more than a little bit and don't get it on the propellant grains or the delay grain. Grease inhibits the surfaces and can prevent it from igniting.

Bob

That is what we used in the 90s. I still use it on AT hardware. Switched to DOW 111 for snap ring cases. No clue if there is a bad side to it.

Vaseline has been in my range box for a while, I used it on all of my hobbyline motors from Aerotech.

Now DOW111... I was glad when I finally ran out of that stuff. For it's intended purpose, it works great. It lubes the rings nicely, it protects the casing from hot gases and motor runs that might cause a liner to get stuck. But the grease is so viscous that it could grip the rubber gloves right off my hands while I was trying to grease a motor liner. And a little bit goes a long way... litterally, I would have grease in places I don't remember handling; cell phone, igniters, a whole roll of paper towels is not enough! I switched to Super Lube once that 111 ran out. Much more user friendly, and easy on the nitril gloves.

Back