Estes Mean Machine w/mods Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marwady

Build twice, Launch once
Reaction score
I have wanted a Mean Machine for a while now. Love the way it lifts off the pad and flies!!

I thought I would use some techniques that I learned here (THX, TRF braintrust) and modify this huge beast a bit.

Mods will be:

• Estes 24mm Retainer on an extended stuffer tube for reduced tube volume
  • Plywood Centering rings
  • Ejection baffle coupler w/Kevlar/elastic shock cord
  • Papered fins w/adhesive label stock

While waiting for the kit to arrive from Hobbylinc, I constructed the baffle from a 3" coupler I had in stock and the stuffer from an 18" piece of Semroc ST-9180 tube.

The 9180 is the perfect fit for the Estes 24mm retainer which is sized for a slightly larger OD 24mm tube.

I also installed a motor block to facilitate using E sized BP motors as well as AT RMS. I left about 1/8" of the E BP motor protruding so the screw on cap would snug up against it without bottoming out.

The CR at the top of the stuffer will butt up against the first coupler and the baffle will be the coupler closest to the nosecone.

I did this to increase the tube pressure during ejection to make up for the baffle. It removes volume from 1 - 18" section.

Now all I need is the kit to keep things rolling. :pop:

PIX:

Last edited:
Very nice mod ideas indeed!
keep us posted on how the build goes!

Got the kit today and was able to do more work.

I finished the stuffer and installed it into the bottom BT.

I also used another 3" coupler I had and glued it into the top of the tube.

5 minute epoxy was used for all the construction.

These pix show fit and clearance for both E BP motors and AT RMS:

Onward and hopefully upward from here.

Cheers!!

Looking good. These are mods similar to what I'm going to do to my next V2.

I have decided to take a tip from "sir sodmeister" and create fins from Basswood.

I also wanted to make them TTW so I used the Balsa fins as templates and added the TTW tab.

Used a straightedge to cut slots in the BT.

Probably won't paper the fins now, strong enough for this application.

PIX:

Cheers!!

SWEET !

When mine decides to crash one day ,I plan on doing the same type of mods to the new one ,and TTW fins made of Basswood will be the first order of business as well as lite ply CRs and only epoxy !!!

Very nice build project ,keep at it......cause I`m a watchin` :wink:

Take care

Paul T

OK

Got the tube sections joined with 3" couplers (one is the baffle) and the break apart fittings installed.

Kevlar is secured to the baffle and 6 feet of 1/4" elastic attached to the Kevlar (hopefully a zipperless design).

All construction so far is done with a thin coat of 5 minute epoxy (except knots for the shock cord assembly, they are white glued).

PIX:

Cheers!!

Very good ideas indeed!!
this may not be the place to ask but what exactly is "papering" a fin?

Very good ideas indeed!!
this may not be the place to ask but what exactly is "papering" a fin?

It's the practice of laminating paper or adhesive label stock to the face of the fin.

Makes it stronger and a better surface to finish.

Very Interesting.
how does one laminate it?
smearing glue to the balsa?

A bit more work done on the MM.

Upper section is sanded and primed w/3 coats of Krylon white primer.

Bottom section is complete and waiting for fillets to dry on the launch lugs.

Fins were glued in place with Elmer's carpenter glue and reinforced with 5 minute epoxy fillets.

PIX:

Cheers!!

Very Interesting.
how does one laminate it?
smearing glue to the balsa?

Yes, that is one way to do it.

I prefer to use Avery adhesive label stock and seal the edges with thin CA.

OK,

Got the color coats on. For some reason, the black has some blushing.

I never had that happen before. About 60% humidity today so that may be the culprit.

Anyway, should be no prob, I will let dry thoroughly, hit the whole thing with 0000 steel wool, decals, then clear coat.

I will wait for a better day, humidity wise.

Just because it wasn't long enough :wink:, I substituted a nosecone from a STM 012 because, size matters...:facepalm:

I had to change the aspect ratio on my camera to 16:9 to get the whole thing in!!

PIX:

Very nice.... now buy another one and stick a 29mm MMT in it...hehehe.......

Beautiful!
I love the black and yellow!
What size motors you gonna put in it?
stick to composite Es or stick some Fs up there??

OK, she's done!! :grin:

I will probably do the maiden flight next week and may even be able to shoot a video...we'll see.

PIX:

CHEERS!!

Very nice! These things look like a flying telephone pole at apogee.

Fantastic! Came out great and an inspiration for my fleet....certainly going on the "Build List".....can't wait to see the flight video.

BTW....sweet garage, with the carpet and the super nice wood/brass casing on the steps....very classy.

Last edited:
Wooooooow!
Thats a tall rocket! :y:
I love the paint job! Im hoping to paint my baby bertha black and yellow stripes so I can name it Bumble Bee Bertha :rolleyes:
Great job on this build!!

Has your Mean Machine flown yet?

Yes, it has.

Maiden flight on a D-12-3 was perfect. Unfortunately, I tried a E9-6 for the next one and the rocket was on the way down at ejection.

It tore the shock cord off (swivel actually opened up and it lawn darted in without the nose cone.

It did some damage to the upper BT but surprisingly, not much else.

I cut and repaired the tube and repainted.

Swapped out the swivels for steel split rings.

Next flight was with a AT RMS E18-4.

Perfect flight with ejection at apogee.

Has not flown since.

Morale:

Don't fly it with long ejection delays or weak recovery hardware......:facepalm:

Looks Great! Nice mods and well done not "over building" and adding too much weight.

Sorry to hear about the crash. I have been told, and your experience proves, that fishing swivels generally not too good on bigger rockets. Glad the fix was relatively easy.

My son and I built a Quasar Sky Needle (similar in just about every way to the Estes Mean Machine) and it flies great. I had similar concerns regarding pressurization of that long BT so we build ours to break in the middle. Essentially making the upper half one really long nose cone. That was the only mod we made though ... other than the paint and renaming it "Scream'n Demon" with the help of Mark at Stickershock. We have flow it a few times, the last time was on an F reload. :D

IMG_20130413_080058_908.jpg

Happy Flying :)

Back