Android apps without market?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caheaton2

Reaction score
Hello, I recently purchased a cheap tablet and have been playing around with it. I've done some searching and it seems that 2 good apps for rocketry use are Rocket Sim from Madcow and Model Rocket Calculator (a free app). Sadly, both require access to the Android Market...something my tablet does not have and which I don't really feel like doing as I purchased it primarily as an ebook reader and viewer for office documents (which it does fine as is).

So, does anyone know of a link where I could dowload (in the case of the free app) or purchase (Madcows apps) either of these apps without having to go through the Android Market? I've tried Google, but the different sites just circle back around to the Market. :mad:

Craig
(yes...I've been away for a while...our local club lost their launch field about 2 years ago... :( )

Hello, I recently purchased a cheap tablet and have been playing around with it. I've done some searching and it seems that 2 good apps for rocketry use are Rocket Sim from Madcow and Model Rocket Calculator (a free app). Sadly, both require access to the Android Market...something my tablet does not have and which I don't really feel like doing as I purchased it primarily as an ebook reader and viewer for office documents (which it does fine as is).

So, does anyone know of a link where I could dowload (in the case of the free app) or purchase (Madcows apps) either of these apps without having to go through the Android Market? I've tried Google, but the different sites just circle back around to the Market. :mad:

Craig
(yes...I've been away for a while...our local club lost their launch field about 2 years ago... :( )

Model Rocket Calculator has a website.

Thanks...I did try the links from his website, but they just take you into the android market. If I try to download to my pc, I get a message telling me there's no phone registered on my account...which of course is true...I have a tablet, not a phone and the tablet is locked out of android market for not meeting Google criteria for what hardware can access the market. It's a shame...Google's gotten as restrictive as Apple!

Craig

Thanks...I did try the links from his website, but they just take you into the android market. If I try to download to my pc, I get a message telling me there's no phone registered on my account...which of course is true...I have a tablet, not a phone and the tablet is locked out of android market for not meeting Google criteria for what hardware can access the market. It's a shame...Google's gotten as restrictive as Apple!

Craig

Sorry, I didn't click through and try it. Try emailing the author.

Hello all! I'm the one that wrote Model Rocket Calculator. I'm no developer (just someone who likes rockets, math, and programming) so it didn't cross my mind to add the APK file to my webpage. I'll try to get that corrected.

Rocketgary

Well, depending on what model your tablet is, there may be a solution at the XDA-Developers forums, but it will most definitely involve reflashing stuff and warranty-voiding maneuvers. There is a way to download android apps to your computer directly, it's a Chrome plugin called APK Downloader. You'll need to do some extra steps after installing it, but I've used it with success to sideload Netflix and such to my rooted tablet. I'm not sure how well it works for paid apps, though.

Have you trie Openrocket

https://openrocket.sourceforge.net/

it is avaialble for android. Free

Massrokit

Just to be clear the OpenRocket version only allows viewing simulations and opening rocket files and motor files - it does not do any simulation per their website. I have not tried this one myself.

To the OP - have you tried contacting the developer of the application directly? If you can get the *.APK file and sideload it onto the tablet that should do it.

Actually Openrocket android 12.09 does allow you to run new simulations.

Kevin

Actually Openrocket android 12.09 does allow you to run new simulations.

Kevin

They needed to update their website then... Interesting. I may have to download it. I see you have made the update already! LOL

a lot of the cheapo tablets have hacks to enable the market. check the slatedroid forums for help.

If you can get the apk and your tablet has a sd or micro sd card slot, you can put the apk on the memory card and load it that way.

another option is if you have an android phone you can pull the apk off with the development tools and side load it on the tablet.

Back