Custom Machined Aluminum Fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys. Sorry for the late response. Every time someone bumps this thread I get 4-5 emails asking about buying them.

I am not accepting anymore orders at this time. I am a full time student and am currently having a hard time keeping up with my 24units.

The 120pounds of metal have rough cut and will be going into the machine tonight.

Those that have ordered, I quoted you February, it will be then.

Kenny: That is one of the nicest things someone said on this thread. But I guarantee you that no time in the future will I be competing with Eric, on purpose. This situation was never a problem till Eric released the fact that he will be making some. I am hardly making money on these. Everyone understands that. The few dollars that aren't going to materials and gas is now paying for my books this semester. I dream of owning a CNC machine one day. Today is not the day, neither is tomorrow. But this project has sparked my interest in a side hobby/career that perhaps later down the road I can afford and have fun with.

Thanks again for the encouragement

Chirp chirp chirp.

Bryce

Ok guys. Just it back from class.

You guys are working me hard.

Did someone order 120pounds of Aluminum?!

My blanks are close to actual fin size so I can squeeze an extra fin from each section of stock.

I cut all the blanks and radiused the bottoms.

WE HAVE A NEW MACHINE. Haas came last week and dropped off a new Mill. Identical to what I have been using. It doesn't have coolant yet but it looks like I may be able to use both at the same time when I am surfacing the front and back. Cool!

Anyway I have got to go. I have Chemistry at 7am tomorrow.

image-4043108481.jpg

image-776922370.jpg

Hello Bryce,
I really liked the thread on the aluminum fins you were making. I congratulate you on what you are doing, when I was in college in mechanical engineering I also started several small ventures on the side that really helped me gain valuable experience in the business world that lead to many opportunities. It must have worked for me because I currently own a manufacturing company. You should be commended for your efforts, don’t let anyone here tell you any different. Many American businesses were started by entrepreneurs like you.

In my manufacturing company we have a complete machine shop to support our production of parts for our current lines of machines we make. We have several high end Mazak CNC lathes and mills. We probably could machine your fins for you at a price that would be very competitive. We have low overhead since we already own the machines and have owned our building for years. I am a Cert level 3 rocket enthusiasts who would welcome the opportunity to help further this industry along, there seems to be a very limited amount of choices for high end rocket components and any new ideas such as yours are certainly welcomed in my book. I have machined many items for rockets that other machine shops would not even try to quote such as my own nose cones made from Nylon 66 and 6061 aluminum. I machine all my own Avbay lids and Avbay parts. I have a degree in mechanical engineering and also we have AutoCAD at my company so could also help you out with professional cad drawings as well if needed, so we may be a good fit. If interested please email me private through the rocket forum and I will give you my company email address and phone.

Last edited:
Hey everyone.

Small update.

Those waiting for fins should be expecting them late March.

I think about these fins every day and I want them done as much as you want them.

On the plus side. This run is coming out IMMACULATE. *knock on metal* last run I had some code errors and setup issues that were taken care of quickly but resulted in less than perfect fins which I have attached to Metallic Bliss 1 and will be perfect performance wise.

I can do three sides an hour now after setup and that means that when I have my longest ever day in the shop next Wednesday (ten hours!) I could theoretically finish all 16 fins.

After that will be a date with me and the polishing wheel, before shipping them out. A couple sets stashed for me and I will be done for a while.

Thank you all for following me on the long journey. It's not over yet, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Bryce

Be careful when you're doing that 10 hour shop marathon! Good luck.

^^^What he said...Be sure to take a breather every now and then so you don't lose focus and a finger!:eek:

Be careful when you're doing that 10 hour shop marathon! Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. Luckily with CNC every piece is like a 20minute break. All the work happens before pressing the Green button. I have good ears and can hear across a noisy shop when my machine is done or when it isn't happy. Not to mention that gives me time to work on a computer and use the newest shop machine. (A new thread on what I'm doing after all of the bugs are worked out)

Safety first.

Well. It is time.

Shipping time!

I have some finishing work to do, but besides that they are ready to ship.

In the next 48 hours I hope to send everyone a email/message confirming your address.

You want pictures?

Ok!

image-913701413.jpg

image-2807120511.jpg

image-2891841184.jpg

Back